And the 2 weeks of UTSA Smack/Food talk continues

Harry

I grew up in El Paso. That being said, there is no good Mexican food in the Metroplex. Tex Mex yes. Mexican food no.

Right there with you. It took me a while to get used to the Mex/Tex-Mex in DFW.

Don't care for Chico's much, either. Do it maybe once/year but, IMO, basically the Mexican version of In'N'Out: a cultural thing.

Ya.

I think that's what majority of people want. I personally like Tex-Mex better than what folks would consider Mexican food. Not a fan of lengua and the such.

And I don't mind Taco Bueno if I want a drive-thru taco.

No problem with this. Just think Taco Bueno is too much like Taco Bell to me. I prefer my chain Tex-Mex from Taco Cabana, They have strayed from good, local place to chain, complete with Wendy's-like-chick-as-mascot-in-commercials but it still has that authentic connection just 2 decades old.

La Mexicana, Taco Lady, Sabrocita, Taqueria Guanajuato, and then we start the slow, painful descent into Tex-Mex. Although there are a couple gas station joints I have seen but not yet tried.

On this we agree.

Yes to all these.

• Upvote 1

I pity the 92 users that are on this thread & started reading at page13, then go back to read the whole thing thinking that there may be substance somewhere. TURN BACK NOW!

The only thing you're getting here is....hungry and a couple of A-hole comments.

Edited by SSP
  • Upvote 1

Ya.

No problem with this. Just think Taco Bueno is too much like Taco Bell to me. I prefer my chain Tex-Mex from Taco Cabana, They have strayed from good, local place to chain, complete with Wendy's-like-chick-as-mascot-in-commercials but it still has that authentic connection just 2 decades old.

If I'm going to go to Taco Bueno, there had better not be a Cabana around anywhere.

Just for good housekeeping purposes, I felt it was important to get this gem in the appropriate thread... Carry on, carry on.

Well, well, well... What do ya know?!

Although it was ugly, a win is a win...

Kinda like ending up taking a dog to the senior prom, only to find out she gives great head! Lol

All that matters is the "plus 1" in the win column.

This sets up quite the story. "Lowly", "3rd-year program" (most opponents try to make us feel like 3rd-world), that "can't beat an FBS school with a winning record" scrub UTSA now faces a "really good, really strong", "CUSA West favorite" UNT team in a game that has a whole lot of meaning!!

Well, well, well indeed.

My advice?

Prepare yourself UNT fan. Prepare yourself.

We are coming to your house, and we are coming there to humble you. We are coming to take your dreams. We are coming to take what's ours. We are coming there to earn the respect of those who have no respect. Make no mistake. We are coming to win. There is nothing you can do to stop it. It is happening.

Prepare yourself indeed.

Wow. What unoriginal lame smack talk. You should be ashamed of your unoriginal pathetic attempt at god knows what. Your post sounded like a mouth breathing molester or creepy cell mate. Please don't ever post something that sad and mildly creepy here ever again. I am sure your local community college has creative writing courses. You should enroll. So weird.
  • Upvote 1

Also, about the Tex-Mex. In Denton, it’s pretty slim pickings, but you can find good stuff off McKinney street east of Bell. Keep your eyes open, as Taco Lady, Veronica’s and a couple of others are blink and you miss ‘em places.

Off Carroll toward UNT lots of people like Mi Casita, and it’s not bad, but I was there last week, and it was only “Ok.” I need to try breakfast there.

Had breakfast about 2 months ago at La Mexicana on Locust south of the square, and it was pretty good. Chorizo and eggs and refried beans. They lose points for fake tortillas, but it was decent otherwise, and lots of food.

South side—La Azteca market is good for a plate lunch inside the store. Mi Ranchito used to get good reviews (and I thought it was the best T/M in Denton 10 years ago) but IMO, it has slipped considerably, and I can’t put my finger on it, but it’s still fairly solid.

You can do ok at Mazatlan on east University next to the bowling alley. Good breakfast there, and solid Tex-Mex. Old favorite El Matador in the old University strip center is still doing its thing, and you can do worse. It’s sister joint is on the south side in the Unicorn lake area and is called Los Toreros. Have been there once, and it was good. Nice place, and around the corner from the southside Beth Marie’s.

Now, if you want good in FW, I recommend the north side exclusively. As Silver Eagle mentioned, El Paseo on Jacksboro Highway just inside 820 is pretty good. Keep driving into town and turn right on 28th into River Oaks, and you will find Chuy’s (not the chain) in an old Wyatt’s Cafeteria slot. Enchiladas here are the bomb, as is the hot sauce, and their beans are possibly my favorite ever. Having said that, they can be hit or miss, but when they are on, that place is one of my favorites.

Farther west on River Oaks Blvd/183/28th you will find Riva’s. Good breakfast, decent Tex-Mex, and pretty fresh.

Last time I was at Dos Molina’s (on 25th street west of North Main) it was good. They have a good lunch, and their fajitas were good last visit, but it has been over a year.

I don’t hit JTG’s anymore, simply because it’s a beating to go. There is better food to be had elsewhere to boot.

Anyway, FWIW.

Edited by LongJim
  • Upvote 2

Wow. What unoriginal lame smack talk. You should be ashamed of your unoriginal pathetic attempt at god knows what. Your post sounded like a mouth breathing molester or creepy cell mate. Please don't ever post something that sad and mildly creepy here ever again. I am sure your local community college has creative writing courses. You should enroll. So weird.

Well the thread had one gasp of life left! Yay!

There is ZERO smack in my quoted post. ZERO.

You can take it for what you want it to be. But that is the mindset of a team coming to visit you on the 23rd.

Edited by warcat
  • Upvote 1

HAHAHA.

I guess I missed that. That was great. " Let me tell you something.... you you... cotton- headed ninnymuggin...." lol

You can take it for what you want it to be. But that is the mindset of a team coming to visit you on the 23rd.

Are you on the team, Warcat? Because I heard from a guy who dates this girl who is friends with this guy who used to date the current girlfriend of Coach Mac's son, and he says UNT is ready to take UTSA apart.

The mindset of UNT--I would reckon--is that much like your mascot, UTSA are a hindrance to those with somewhere important to go, and unfortunately may need to be crushed underfoot or swatted aside so they may proceed.

Yes, we know there was zero smack talk. You tried and failed. Take the advice of these folks, go get a good burrito and stop the creepiness.