U of H

SSP

I was really impressed with that UH QB the other day O'Korn. He is very talented and still quite young. They went toe to toe with BYU. I think we have a lot in common with them although they are further along and have had more success. I'm a Houston fan when they aren't playing us.

I thought Euless had one of the largest concentrations,many Trinity guys going to BYU. Friends with some of them when I went to Irving Mac,maybe we can convince them to stay closer to home.

Tongans, yes. Samoans, not so much.

I grew up in Euless, so I have a bit of an understanding about this.

Back in the day, D/FW airport and I believe San Francisco were the only airports that had direct flights from Tonga. D/FW was less expensive at the time, so most of them chose to fly that route. Euless was the closest city within walking distance, so that was the destination of choice upon landing.

So naturally, Euless became a popular migration place among the Tongan nation. The Tongan community on the island of Tonga is mostly LDS and they are very loyal to that heritage. Because of this, BYU and Utah grab a fair amount of them quite easily.

I think it's strange that I'm getting to the point of déjà vu on this board. I guess seeing topics about things that have been discussed as naseum before is a sign that we are adding new fans to the board, which can only be a good thing, right?

True... Last time we talked about the new coog logo I posted this and I will post it again because I hate the coogs...

thundercats_lion-o_01_zps2571e649-1_zpsc

• Upvote 4

Really Harry? Root for the team that already is in a "better" conference, out recruits us, has more recent success, SWC history, a major metropolitan area to recruit from, and is now building a new stadium? You know we go head-to-head with them for recruits in Texas, right? And you know we generally lose those battles, right? And you know that recruiting is just about the most important thing for this (any I guess any) program right now, right? Jeez man!

F UH, UTSA, Tech, Rice, TCU, SMU, TxSt, UTEP, Tulsa, LaTech, Tulane or any other regional or Texas school we recruit against.

You will never make moderator with that attitude.
  • Upvote 4

I went to high school with a bunch of Samoans. Big, surly, capable of snapping you in two like a twig, teddy bears.

My high school was Seventh Day Adventist, and I see that there are quite a few Somoan specific SDA churches scattered throughout the United States. The Mormons didn't completely corner the religious market on that island.

Tongans, yes. Samoans, not so much.

I grew up in Euless, so I have a bit of an understanding about this.

Back in the day, D/FW airport and I believe San Francisco were the only airports that had direct flights from Tonga. D/FW was less expensive at the time, so most of them chose to fly that route. Euless was the closest city within walking distance, so that was the destination of choice upon landing.

So naturally, Euless became a popular migration place among the Tongan nation. The Tongan community on the island of Tonga is mostly LDS and they are very loyal to that heritage. Because of this, BYU and Utah grab a fair amount of them quite easily.

Wow. I did not know that.

Really Harry? Root for the team that already is in a "better" conference, out recruits us, has more recent success, SWC history, a major metropolitan area to recruit from, and is now building a new stadium? You know we go head-to-head with them for recruits in Texas, right? And you know we generally lose those battles, right? And you know that recruiting is just about the most important thing for this (any I guess any) program right now, right? Jeez man!

F UH, UTSA, Tech, Rice, TCU, SMU, TxSt, UTEP, Tulsa, LaTech, Tulane or any other regional or Texas school we recruit against.

This...

I want them all to lose--the Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Arkansas schools, no matter if they are AQ or non-AQ. We get no benefit from having A&M, UT, Tech, Baylor, TCU, OU, OSU, Arkansas, or LSU being ranked as AQs. We are hurt even more when UH, SMU, Tulsa, and Tulane win and use their position on a higher rung of the conference ladder against us in recruiting. It hurts us if La Tech, UTEP, UTSA, or Rice beat us out for bowl spots in CUSA. And it hurts when Texas State, ULL, ULM, and Arkansas State do well because they can convince DFW HS kids to leave the Metroplex and get immediate playing time at their schools when they have signature wins to recruit on.

I want them all to lose as much as possible, unless they are playing each other. Then, its CUSA schools first, AQ teams next (since them losing to anyone outside of CUSA is a huge boost to their recruiting), SBC teams, and always the AAC schools. I want SMU and UH to lose every game, go bankrupt from spending all their money on travel to all of the outlying outposts in that conference, and then to drop down to FCS or quit football altogether (ok, maybe this last part might be a bit extreme...)

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 2

U of H is going to have a helluva program in the next couple of years. New stadium being built....

Force to be reckoned with soon. Hopefully, we follow suit.

oh... and why does BYU always seem to get so many Samoans???

Settled right in the middle of the murder capital of Texas.

Too much butterfly-effect stuff going on in here.

I will also bleed green because I went to undergrad there and spent the best for years of my life in Denton.

However, I now root for UH since I'm attending law school here.

I see comparisons between the two schools and I think UH is the model that we should strive to be.

Edited by Eastwood Eagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Come on, 97and03, some of us all but grew in in the shadows of the UH campus. Rice & UH were prominent in our 2 major newspapers back in the day, ie, the Houston Chonicle and the (RIP) Houston Post. Other than the 2 other obvious PUF schools in the SWC, that is all we read about or viewed on H-Town Channels 13, 11 and 2 back in that era, too.

At this point I have a love/hate type of thing going with UH, but I have to admit I still keep an eye on what they do.

I don't think Harry, myself and others on this board who grew up with the Coogs' and the Owls and really mostly being closet fans of theirs now are going to make any difference with their recruiting success (or lack of) against us because until our school takes ahold of its destiny and moves itself up the totem pole, the recruiting pecking order in Texas will pretty well stay the same or as it was when the SWC was still in business. Yet like our former conference mate Boise State changed their NCAA place in the world on their own, we need to do the same thing here in the Lone Star State. Local media veteran Norm Hitzghes seems to think we can do just that with some of his past comments.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Come on, 97and03, some of us all but grew in in the shadows of the UH campus. Rice & UH were prominent in our 2 major newspapers back in the day, ie, the Houston Chonicle and the (RIP) Houston Post. Other than the 2 other obvious PUF schools in the SWC, that is all we read about or viewed on H-Town Channels 13, 11 and 2 back in that era, too.

At this point I have a love/hate type of thing going with UH, but I have to admit I still keep an eye on what they do.

I don't think Harry, myself and others on this board who grew up with the Coogs' and the Owls and really mostly being closet fans of theirs now are going to make any difference with their recruiting success (or lack of) against us because until our school takes ahold of its destiny and moves itself up the totem pole, the recruiting pecking order in Texas will pretty well stay the same or as it was when the SWC was still in business. Yet like our former conference mate Boise State changed their NCAA place in the world on their own, we need to do the same thing here in the Lone Star State. Local media veteran Norm Hitzghes seems to think we can do just that with some of his past comments.

GMG!

I read on the internet that if we root against UH their recruiting would suffer. its on the internet, gotta be true, look it up.

GMG!

Congratulations on coming out of the closet, and bringing Harry with you!

Coaching has to be at least on equal footing with recruiting. How many times per year do we see a coach leave for greener pastures and another completely fail with his recruits, or conversely, one coach gets fired for poor results and another yields a far better outcome than did his predecessor? Screw everybody else and their recruiting...let's keep fighting that battle, for sure, but if we have a coach who can get wins then we will win more of the recruitment battles.

yes.. yes... U of H will be a great program.... FOR ME TO POOP ON!!!!!!

U of H is going to have a helluva program in the next couple of years. New stadium being built....

Force to be reckoned with soon. Hopefully, we follow suit.

oh... and why does BYU always seem to get so many Samoans???

Have we ever had a Samoan player? If so, I wish we could get somoa.