Official USMNT Rio 2014 Thread

One more thought before I step away:

This has been a good cup. I wish I could watch more. And, if US steps out of Group Play, my water cooler sports talk convos will jump up in awesomeness...immediately. Things could get really interesting in the US sports world.

This World Cup has been so great. I've caught most or at least some of every one since 94. The talent and the strategies and the excitement is just bar none.

Personally, I think the theories about an early goal throwing us off our game are garbage excuses. The Altidore injury no doubt affected the squad, though. Between the time that he went down and Zusi came on (he provided a calming presence in possession for our midfield) we looked downright bad. Bradley had the worst game I've seen from him in years. I think (hope) he bounces back, but that performance reminded me of Donovan and Beasley circa 2006 group play.

Our back line performed quite well, in my opinion, and Jones and Beckerman providing support were a big reason why. The group was better with Besler on the field, and I hope he's fully fit and back in the starting lineup on Sunday. I know Beasley constantly seemed to be giving the Ghana winger 5 yards and time to deliver crosses, but I think that was the right play against Ghana---whose primary threat to us was their speed and athleticism, and not their ability to deliver pin-point crosses into the box. I expect we'll see a different strategy against Portugal and especially Germany.

The US, historically, seems to usually play their best game in game #2 of group play at the WC. This one is going to be a huge challenge, though. I expect the weather/temp to affect this match heavily. All the cramping/muscle pulls we saw against Ghana had better be figured out by Sunday. We're going to need all 3 subs to be on point, and can't afford to give them away to replace injuries. Also, if we don't face a healthy Ronaldo, all the better!

CONCACAF having a solid cup so far. Costa Rica is through to the knockout stages, coming out of a group with Uruguay, Italy and England.

Kudos, Ticos

The America's have for the most part done really well, story of the tournament for me so far. Europe and Africa have really under performed.

GROUP A

Mexico and Croatia still have to play, but I expect Mexico to win. That would mean Brazil and Mexico advance while Croatia and Cameroon go home.

Group B

Netherlands and Chile will advance, Spain and the Fighting Steve Irwins go home.

Group C

Colombia will go on. I think CÔTE D'IVOIRE beats Greece which means they and the Japanese are done.

Group C

Costa Rica is best Costa. I think Uruguay beats the Italians and the English are dead, I don't care what the math says.

Group E

This is where the euros have their revenge, as France and the Swiss leave Ecuador and Honduras out.

Group F/G/H

only one match played in these groups. Too early.

The America's have for the most part done really well, story of the tournament for me so far. Europe and Africa have really under performed.

GROUP A

Mexico and Croatia still have to play, but I expect Mexico to win. That would mean Brazil and Mexico advance while Croatia and Cameroon go home.

Group B

Netherlands and Chile will advance, Spain and the Fighting Steve Irwins go home.

Group C

Colombia will go on. I think CÔTE D'IVOIRE beats Greece which means they and the Japanese are done.

Group C

Costa Rica is best Costa. I think Uruguay beats the Italians and the English are dead, I don't care what the math says.

Group E

This is where the euros have their revenge, as France and the Swiss leave Ecuador and Honduras out.

Group F/G/H

only one match played in these groups. Too early.

A. I think Croatia beat Mexico to get out of group. All Mexico needs is a draw, but I think Croatia attacks can break down their defense and I doubt we'll see another Ochoa game like he had against Brazil

B. Netherlands play Chile only one up in goal difference...win the group, play Croatia/Mexico...lose the group and play Brazil. This will be a fun, open attacking game

C. Colombia moves on...Ivory Coast just needs a draw and with a -4 goal difference they have little motivation to play for anything but second

D. well...the math says England are done, too. I say Italy bounce back and at least draw Uruguay to get out of group

E. Switzerland would do well to score pretty soon...they're far from safe the way France is putting it to them right now. Ecuador will move in front of them on goals if they beat Honduras as things stand presently

E. Switzerland would do well to score pretty soon...they're far from safe the way France is putting it to them right now. Ecuador will move in front of them on goals if they beat Honduras as things stand presently

Hell...I think Honduras would move in front of Switzerland now with a win as well. The Swiss will be praying that Ecuador/Honduras match finishes as a draw

Hell...I think Honduras would move in front of Switzerland now with a win as well. The Swiss will be praying that Ecuador/Honduras match finishes as a draw

It's been a long time since I have seen a beatdown this bad, when I expected a good match.

France are up 5 and it should be 7.

It's been a long time since I have seen a beatdown this bad, when I expected a good match.

France are up 5 and it should be 7.

Franck Ribery missing out may prove a blessing...for all his talent, he's remarkably precocious and is prone to keeping the ball too much at his feet. This French team is is far more balanced and ios moving the ball exceptionally well.

A. I think Croatia beat Mexico to get out of group.

This is simply your gringo blood seething with Anti Mexican hate.

But in all seriousness Mexico has been the most surprising team to me, well excepting Costa Rica. Mexico had two on side goals erroneously flagged in their first match, and while Ochoa had a magical game against Brazil, Mexico was the team attacking and creating chances for large parts of that match.

They have been much more impressive to me than Croatia. While they could just play for the draw, I think they are on the attack all game, just because El Piojo gonna piojo.

Fuk9dUM.gif?1

But in all seriousness Mexico has been the most surprising team to me, well excepting Costa Rica. Mexico had two on side goals erroneously flagged in their first match, and while Ochoa had a magical game against Brazil, Mexico was the team attacking and creating chances for large parts of that match.

They have been much more impressive to me than Croatia. While they could just play for the draw, I think they are on the attack all game, just because El Piojo gonna piojo.

Fuk9dUM.gif?1

Epic gif, Cerebus. Made me think of the good old Final Fantasy games.

But in all seriousness Mexico has been the most surprising team to me, well excepting Costa Rica.

I agree with both statements.

I think in no way will Mexico just play for the draw against Croatia...we're in for yet another exciting match, something this World Cup has been absolutely chalk full of.

Croatia played Brazil just as well if not better than Mexico...and without their lead striker. A bullshit penalty cost them a point from that match. Ya, while it was mostly against a ten-man Cameroon side, Modric and Rakitic bossed the midfield and having Mandzukic up front gives them a consistent and legit goal scoring threat...something dos Santos or Hernandez just don't provide anymore. Mexico will work their ass off and it will be a fun competitive match, but I'll say 2-1 Croatia

Heartbreaking but couldn't be more proud of our guys. They outplayed some of the best players in Europe who scoff at our soccer league. Young German American Fabian Johnson showed some flashes of brilliance and shows that Jurgen knew what he was doing getting this team together. More scenarios than not put us through to the next round and this was the path many figured we would have some how pull off to advance. I think at least one of the last two group matches ends in a draw which would mean we are on round of 16.

• Upvote 1

Hold me.

The overnight ratings are off the charts. Soccer just ain't gonna make it in America though...

A large number of people who watch the World Cup only watch the World Cup (I mean how many people watch all the Olympic sports in non Olympic years -- and those get big ratings too). But soccer is much bigger here now than ten years ago, no doubt.

• Upvote 1

So I've watched that last play 10+ times and listened to tons of post-game....and the one thing that I don't understand is what was Gonzales doing? You bring him on to sit right in the middle of defense and take out any balls sent into the box through the air. That is the extent to which his skillset can possibly be used at this level. Nothing more. Period.

Where was he playing?---up in the mid-field next to Jermaine Jones and Beckerman. Someone please explain this to me. I consider myself a pretty knowledgeable soccer fan, and all I can come up with is that either Gonzo is the dumbest mother effer on the earth or our coaching staff is, collectively, a bunch of morons.