Rick Gosselin (DMN) Article on North Texas

All About UNT

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/columnists/rick-gosselin/20131015-gosselin-an-infusion-of-money-and-lots-of-it-has-bought-north-texas-a-future-in-d-i-football.ece

"DENTON — I’ve driven by Apogee Stadium dozens of times in the past few years. It’s hard to miss the “wings of an eagle” grandstands in the east end zone that peer out at I-35.

I finally decided to take a peek inside the home of North Texas football last weekend and visit Apogee for a game. I saw something I didn’t expect to see: a Division I football team."

Here's a good quote from the article. It's definitely worth a read.

Middle Tennessee represented the first home game for North Texas since that showing. I wanted to see how the Mean Green would be greeted and treated by the home folks. Only 21,000 showed up. I expected more. So did the school.

“I’m not disappointed, but I’m not satisfied,” Villarreal said. “This is a building process and we’re making progress.”

But to understand where North Texas is, you first must understand how far the Mean Green has come. When Villarreal was hired in 2001, he discovered a photo on his desk. “It was a picture of the last home game before I took the job,” Villarreal said. “I could count the people in the stands — 187 of them. At the very top there was written 'Good luck.' I don’t know who left it, but I’ve kept it on my desk.”

Edited by NorthTexan95
  • Upvote 2

The DFW media has ALWAYS been ready to embrace UNT athletics. Hell, half of them are UNT grads. UNT just hasn't given them any reason for such an embrace. They have actually done the program a favor by ignoring it's failures (a favor I wish they wouldn't do).

Give them a reason to talk about us, and they will talk about us a lot more than they do about SMU or TCU.

We just haven't given them that reason.

Very true. Frankly we don't have to be world beaters to get improved publicity. Beat the teams we are supposed to and be competitive against the Georgia's. We were competitive against Georgia according to one of the top sports writers. Now we need to beat the teams we are supposed to beat!

Starting with La Tech.

• Upvote 2

I appreciate the article. However, no one has mentioned that within one hour of kickoff there was a very hard rain. I suspect that lots of potential attendees decided not to chance the weather and stayed home. Had we had a dry day, I would like to think we would have cracked 25 K.

Beat LaTech

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1

Had my Radio Shack head phone radio on for the last part of Gosselin's interview with Jub on the Mean Green Radio Network and he almost sounded like a cheerleader for our football program saying.........."once the wins start happening here regularly the crowds will come."

......(BTW, ain't winning so nice for a change)? :)

Well, I think Gosselin was partially correct with the attendance assessment because we've had winnining seasons before without SRO crowds so..........................P-R-O-M-O-T-E !...this is still the DFW Metroplex of which our school is located with 1,000 other things our casuals & borderline fans can do on Game Day. Wish it weren't this way...but it is until we once and for all change this culture.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1