UNT has stadium, wants respect like Blue Raiders

Harry

DENTON, TEXAS — North Texas coach Dan McCarney gazed from his posh second-floor office window to an almost new $90-million stadium Wednesday afternoon and said, with a straight face, “We want to be like Middle Tennessee.”

McCarney knows he has enviable facilities in Conference USA, but he thinks the Blue Raiders have something else – respect. The third-year UNT coach is trying to revive the Mean Green program to a point of consistency that MTSU is at.

Whether or not McCarney is sandbagging to appease his upcoming opponent, his team will get a shot to knock off the Blue Raiders on Saturday and take a little of what they have.

“(MTSU coach Rick Stockstill) has built a really good program. Middle Tennessee is respected by everybody. We want to be like Middle Tennessee,” McCarney said.

“We want to be respected by everyone like that. Are you going to win them all? Probably not. But you want to be respected by everyone, and that’s where Middle Tennessee is at right now.

Read more: http://www.dnj.com/article/20131010/BLUERAIDERS01/310100024/UNT-has-stadium-wants-respect-like-Blue-Raiders

Two years ago, that team won 2 games and we beat them by 59-7 in Denton. I'm sorry, but we have been like that for too many years between 2005-2010. I'd just as soon aim a bit higher than establishing ourselves as the next MUTS...maybe this is this best we can hope for, but I'd like to think we could find a few other programs to emulate that have a ton more respect than MUTS.

• Upvote 2

Two years ago, that team won 2 games and we beat them by 59-7 in Denton. I'm sorry, but we have been like that for too many years between 2005-2010. I'd just as soon aim a bit higher than establishing ourselves as the next MUTS...maybe this is this best we can hope for, but I'd like to think we could find a few other programs to emulate that have a ton more respect than MUTS.

Preach

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Do you really think this is anything more than coachspeak? A few weeks ago, he was saying he wanted our program to be like Ohio; the next weekend he was saying he wanted it to be like Ball State. For some reason, I doubt that the coaching staff has weekly meetings to assess whether they are getting closer to their goal of being more like Middle Tennessee State.

I don't recall him saying that about Tulane, though.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 4

I think we still lead the all time series.

I can understand what he's saying from the standpoint that they've been to a few bowl games in the last nine seasons, while we have not. Otherwise, I don't think we should have them as our goal.

Edited by CMJ

Do you really think this is anything more than coachspeak? A few weeks ago, he was saying he wanted our program to be like Ohio; the next weekend he was saying he wanted it to be like Ball State. For some reason, I doubt that the coaching staff has weekly meetings to assess whether they are getting closer to their goal of being more like Middle Tennessee State.

This ^

It's just Mac doing his coachspeak bit. Nothing but lip service. Also I don't doubt that the homer writing the piece colored it to sound a little more ass-kissing than Mac meant it.

• Upvote 2

This ^

It's just Mac doing his coachspeak bit. Nothing but lip service. Also I don't doubt that the homer writing the piece colored it to sound a little more ass-kissing than Mac meant it.

Trying to find anything from Mac that isn't just coach speak.

Trying real hard.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

This...exactly this! Mac said this on the radio show the week we play the MUTS. Folks, you have all been around long enough to realize what this is and to take it for what it is...COACH SPEAK plain and simple. Have no clue why folks seem to always want to make something negative out of NOTHING.

• Upvote 2

Coach Mac is a good fit for our program and I wish all these barbs aimed at him for wanting a good North Texas crowd for "OUR's and "HIS" football team would stop. If he becomes a success at UNT (which I believe he will) don't think for a moment that he like any other NCAA FBS level coach would want to go where people support their team--win or lose. Hopefully, that school will be us after we tweak a few things to increase our attendance.

As most on this board know, Coach Mac took over an Iowa State job that only Kansas State pre-Bill Snyder could have been considered worse. Still, he beat Iowa U 4 x's in a row and took the Cyclones to 6(?) bowl games. Some call what he did for the perennially losing ISU football program a near miracle. Even many of their fans have visited this board wishing him well with their still having good thoughts about what he did for their school.

While Coach Mac was at Iowa State, they still had those 5K to 10K traveling fans from other Big 12 schools coming to their home games; that is, such fans that we don't get at North Texas with our opponents fans so guess what..............we need to do something that will most likely take much planning to get that shortfall and same number of new fans coupled with who we have already to Game Days at Apogee but in our case...all those extra new fans would all be wearing green--not our opponent's colors.

Coach Mac is not responsible for our culture at North Texas...he inherited it. Why make him feel bad for wanting large croweds at that North Texas. Don't we have that in common? Why we hesitate in admitting our problem with small crowds using every excuse under the sun as to why yet with no attempts to fix any of this is why we (basically) outside of each years new freshmen class have the same old group we had when we watched our teams across the Interstate.

Still, no reason to hold Coach Mac responsible for things that were already long set in place the same day North Texas announced him as our HFC.

Game Day This Weekend? Coach Mac's team has its work cut out against Middle Tennessee as far as the Blue Raider team I saw last week against East Carolina. You can begin with a Blue Raider speed merchant of a RB who can score any time he touches the football. Couple that with a pretty good MTSU QB/Receiver tandem will give us a pretty big challenge. I marvel that the oddsmakers are making us the favorite in this game. Hopefully they know something we don't. North Texas is on the verge of being a good football team whose W/L record at this juncture could easily go north or south. .

So it's tme to get our game faces (and raincoats) on, folks, because none of us are going to change 30 years of culture (created by too many losing seasons) just because we wish we could. What we need to do for new fans takes more than an overnight idea the week of the game.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1