UNT Master Plan Update and BOR Notes

Harry

1. Our campus is really pretty to begin with. Go UNT.

2. One day our children may live in Sack-N-Save Hall or IHOP Hall.

3. All that beautification but they don't demolish College Inn????

4. I LOVE that one of our brick colors is called Burnt Pumpkin by ACME Brick.

Edited by TheWestie
  • Upvote 3

Hasn't CI been scheduled for demolition like 3 times until the semester before it was supposed to happen? I was under the impression that one big reason they held off was because the sororities wouldn't have other meeting space...and now they all have houses.

• Upvote 1

Well.. I guess TexDot took care of the issue regarding the property on the corner of 35 and North Texas.. The new expansion of 35 conveniently shows that both the Exxon on the corner and the longstanding McDonalds would need to be moved due to expansion. Therefore it will certainly both depress the cost of those properties and squash any potential legal fight of UNT trying to just imminent domaining the property at a weak price.

I would strongly recommend people to look at the pages around 120 or so to get a gauge of where the university wants to go in the future..

And if people don't already know, a sand volleyball complex is on the high priority build category..

Something else to keep an eye on is the section that talks about how the university will be planning on branding the entryways into campus better and the push to change the orientation of what is considered the "front' of campus from both a branding perspective and a traffic flow perspective.. .

Lots of cool things in there..

• Upvote 3

I've heard the reason they keep college inn around is it's the only dorm that is completely paid off so any rent money they get there is pure profit. I lived there and from the inside it is the same as any other dorm, but I agree it is an eye sore on the outside. No worse than that awful gas station down the street though.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Two things I noticed:

- They've decided they don't need a tennis "Center Court", and want use the space for an indoor tennis facility.

- There's no Opera Hall, which had previously been assumed to go where Fouts Field is.

Two things I noticed:

- They've decided they don't need a tennis "Center Court", and want use the space for an indoor tennis facility.

- There's no Opera Hall, which had previously been assumed to go where Fouts Field is.

Very good catch!

Two things I noticed:

The opera hall was only ever a faint gleam in an opera chair's eye at the time.

Then the Winspear in Dallas was built.

• Upvote 1

This plan is epic. I really hope they manage to implement most of it in the next 10 years...actually defining the outside of campus with greenbelts and entry signs is going to be really cool...

Also interesting the way they show Apogee stadium being expanded....I'm guessing that entails getting rid of the wingzone and then completing the bowl, thought that is difficult to show on a drawing.

• Upvote 1

The wing zone is really a signature feature of the stadium. I bet they try to somehow keep that visual when they eventually expand. I do love the idea of creating an epic entry way to the school from the west. Basically, I like the idea of getting rid of cement city. I lived there for three years there's better uses of that land so close to campus.

• Upvote 1

The Wing Zone is not, and I repeat, not where the expansion happens. The Wing zone will remain with an expansion to 50,000. The expansion is above the student section, bringing the stadium to 50K. That is the stadium's trademark and they won't get rid of it. Don't understand why everyone thinks that way. Even the two buildings in the concourse that are wing zone are shaped that way as are the pieces on the roof of the bridge. It's a design element.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1