#Hit30K

Mean_Green09

Without trying to take a dump in anyone's oatmeal:

1) I agree, this is our school. I've always been big on the "if not you, then who?" ideal. If you want something done and those in a position to make it happen can't or won't, go for it. What are they going to do besides chastise you? Take away your degree? Give you a Sandusky shower? (What, too soon?)

2) This is a great way to combine a bunch of ideas for something huge, if you want to. I think it was 93-98 maybe that mentioned doing a student organization day, and I expanded on that (another thread). Also there's been a lot of talk about getting the community involved. Everybody who is in town that can help, set up a thread or email list and figure out the best way. Everybody who has a kid on a soccer team or whatever (or has a buddy who does), get them in. Whatever prizes you come up with, find different segments (student organizations get a conference or event allotment of $250 or something...but you have to have at least 20 people at the game to qualify; 3 Joe/Jane Students get $50 gift cards for books; random Denton people get a month of school lunches or baseball gloves for the team or something, etc).

3) Try to get the Athletics Department involved and tell them you'll do the leg work if they'll announce it at the game or whatever. Like the posters around town, but bigger and freaking awesome. Be nice. If they don't want anything to do with letting somebody else with a vested interest help them kick ass and fill the stadium, then get out all over campus and Denton and do it...have flyers for EVERYBODY, have a check-in somewhere unofficial but close enough to Apogee that you can see them go in...and then announce the winners after the game back in the parking lot. I'd love to see the AD, the alumni, the students and everybody else rock this but really, if somebody in the AD is being snide and not even offering alternatives to fit some official facilities/schedule requirement, go to Rick V. If you already have momentum by the time you talk to him, it'll be hard to ignore. And if even he doesn't see the freaking majesty of this goal, then whatever, do something on your own sort of like I just ranted.

If somebody else won't empower you to get the job done, but they don't want to do it themselves, then just go ahead and get the job done without them. But hopefully they'll see the value in this and want to be involved in some way. Remember, if they are against it at first, ask about SPECIFIC roadblocks that they see preventing it from happening and then figure a way around those. I've seen lots of great ideas go down the crapper because the conversation was like this:

"I want to do this."

"Nope, not happening."

"Okay, well screw you, I'm doing it."

If the last part changes to this:

"Okay, where do you see potential problems occurring, so I can amend the idea to fit with your needs?"

...then you have a better chance at getting some more allies to make it a slightly different, but still badass, event idea.

So I understand the issue with picking a certain game for any sort of giveaway deal, but why focus on any one game? Why not get the #Hit30K push going for every game. If MTSU turns out to be 22K, for example, then you just push harder to get more support to get to 30 for the next one (realizing that Thurs night game may be a greater challenge). Why is it not that the goal is to get to 30K for A game (or more) by the end of the season? Start pushing the #Hit30K thing NOW on campus and around Denton. Just start physically posting #Hit30K everywhere--tagging everything where it is applicable online with it as well. I am thinking if I saw a physical piece of paper on campus with #Hit30K on it, and I had no clue what it was, I would be intrigued--I would want to find out more. I would feel like, "What is going on that I don't know about?" So, I may search that hashtag on Twitter/IG/FB etc. and hopefully start finding a whole lot of stuff about the push to get 30,000 butts in the seats at Apogee this year.

Set a goal, get people excited, get buzz going about it now. Having been in school during the time to get to 17K average for I-A status, I really just remember now that it was actually the cool thing to do to go to the games during that time. We need that kind of excitement with a goal again.

I've never understood how some pro start-ups, ie, even minor league baseball in DFW (specifically Frisco) and other parts of our state the last 1 or 2 decades could somehow get instant attendance and support over many more home games per season than we ever have in Denton for a any one football season of 5 or 6 home games. I will never understand that.

I think most of us would feel better about all of this if we just knew that serious attempts from Rawlins, the BOR's and UNT athletics to once and for all solve this problem were being made; who knows, maybe they are working on this even now but if so it is quite a top secret project. KRAM1? Enlighten us on this subject if you can...., please? :)

If you think about it, a half filled (or less) stadium effects all of us from the UNT Chancellor, the UNT (main campus) President, the UNT BOR's and all the way down to even the casual fan. Matter a fact, wouldn't a filled stadium create the necessary momentum with what we want to do at the NCAA FBS level and even flip many of those casuals and borderliners to become bonafide Mean Green fan'atics? Everyone wants to be part of something that appears to have many others wanting to also be a part, too.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Season Average:

2004: 18,694

2001: 18,864 (First season of Apogee)

2012: 18,927

Amazing that fans stuck around through the Dodhe disaster.

First 2 games attendance was terrible. Worried if we don't go bowling this year, a downward trending home attendance will be in front of us.

Very important season.

Amazing that fans stuck around through the Dodhe disaster.

First 2 games attendance was terrible. Worried if we don't go bowling this year, a downward trending home attendance will be in front of us.

Very important season.

How was 21 terrible? We had that for two games last year.

I think it's miraculous that we have a contingent of 14K that come no matter what after all the crap we've been through.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1

Okay we have over a month for the Hit30K promotion. Let's get some yard signs created and placed around the campus. Remind the F out of the students that this is not just a game, this is a goal and an event. Students love events especially with free stuff. Get some local companies to pony up lunch packs for 4, get a freaking tv donated, throw in an iphone upgrade and some free burrito coupons and whala you have 35,000 showing up at Apogee trying to get a ticket into a sold out war. I would love every game to be a promo and maybe next year you publish a promotion by game and keep it different and interesting from game to game. The kicker is that you don't get your ticket until you show your student ID inside the stadium. Drawing occurs between the 3rd and 4th quarters.

GMG

I think it's miraculous that we have a contingent of 14K that come no matter what after all the crap we've been through.

Looky there. We agree on something. Just don't expect this to continue indefinitely with a losing team. Winning this year is VERY important.

It helps to have utsa, UTEP, and rice and home this year. Expect higher than avg attendance for those without doing anything.

Next year I would expect the schedule should get shuffled a bit with the Tulsa and Tulane departure.

A Thursday night, Halloween night game negates the advantage of Rice, UTSA (who I still think brings 10 people) and UTEP are both very late in the year. Better be playing for something at that point or else attendance will be terrible.

That will only happen if the team is playing well down the stretch.

As I stated above, not just playing well, but play FOR something, in particular the West division title in CUSA.

Is this team capable of getting to that point? Offensive and defensive improvement are still needed, but with the West being down this year, UNT is definitely capable of putting themselves in that position. What do they have to do?

Win at Tulane, and then worry about MTSU.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Since the high tide of most impressive attendance numbers has given UTSA so much national attention, why can't we of North Texas ever admit the obvious with our own shortfall and then do something about it?

Is it fear of failure of not being able to effectively reach the masses? Well, doesn't empty seats already confirm that failure already; so, uh, start "fearing" already?

To fix this will not be a "UNT Athletics Only" venture, but either that department or Prez' Rawlins and his BOR's need to come up with a viable plan because we really do get too much bad ink on our turnstiles count. Many on this board have all but said.........WE VOLUNTEER TO HELP but..............who do we volunteer to that won't kick us in the teeth for trying to help "OUR" alma mater solve this problem? We all take this quite personal when other CUSA schools kid us about our attendance. Are we alone with that, too?

Why have a nice fancy car to show off if we don't have wheels on the damn thing?

This post and link bumped up for one who told me he could not find it; especially the DMagazine feature article part on a school who got serious about putting serious numbers of fans in front of their football team to support it. A good football team like the Mean Green deserves no less after reading most all your posts in this thread. Dammit! Sue us for wanting "OUR" team to have large numbers of fans in front of it as to support it. None of us really have no other hidden agenda or dog in this fight whatsoever other than....we have a damn nice stadium that just needs more fans in it on Game Day. Somebody...........Anybody..............please address and.................FIX OUR PROBLEM........PRETTY PLEEEZZZZZZZ ? :)

Question: Why has SMU's attendance gone back to days of old?

Possible Answer: Because they stopped promoting with real "butts in seats" kinds of promotions like in their Mustang Mania days? How many of us envy what UTSA is doing at the turnstiles (and has the family jewels to admit it on this forum)?

? Maybe North Texas should merely choose 2 particular home games each Fall that our powers perceive might have the kind of attendance the Ball State game produced (while embarrassing our entire constituency) and just start with serious "butts in seats" promotions for those 2 games?

Is Mustang Mania Horsefeathers?

Want a "pack em' in" football stadium promotions program for UNT? Well, roll up your sleeves like an entire army from SMU did as the link describes:

http://www.dmagazine...sefeathers.aspx

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Since the high tide of most impressive attendance numbers has given UTSA so much national attention, why can't we of North Texas ever admit the obvious with our own shortfall and then do something about it?

Is it fear of failure of not being able to effectively reach the masses? Well, doesn't empty seats already confirm that failure already? To fix this will not be a "UNT Athletics Only" venture, but either that department or Prez' Rawlins and his BOR's need to come up with a viable plan because we really do get too much bad ink on our turnstiles count. Many on this board have all but said.........WE VOLUNTEER TO HELP but..............who do we volunteer to that won't kick us in the teeth for trying to help "OUR" alma mater solve this problem? We all take this quite personal when other CUSA schools kid us about our attendance. Are we alone with that, too?

This post and link bumped up for one who told me he could not find it; especially the DMagazine feature article part on a school who got serious about putting serious numbers of fans in front of their football team to support it. A good football team like the Mean Green deserves no less after reading most all your posts in this thread. Dammit! Sue us for wanting "OUR" team to have large numbers of fans in front of it as to support it. None of us really have no other hidden agenda or dog in this fight whatsoever other than....we have a damn nice stadium that just needs more fans in it on Game Day. Somebody...........Anybody..............please address and.................FIX OUR PROBLEM, PRETTY PLEEEZZZZZZZ ?

Question: Why has SMU's attendance gone back to days of old?

Possible Answer: Because they stopped promoting with real "butts in seats" kinds of promotions like in their Mustang Mania days? How many of us envy what UTSA is doing at the turnstiles (and has the family jewels to admit it on this forum)?

? Maybe North Texas should merely choose 2 particular home games each Fall that our powers perceive might have the kind of attendance the Ball State game produced (while embarrassing our entire constituency) and just start with serious "butts in seats" promotions for those 2 games?

Is Mustang Mania Horsefeathers?

Want a "pack em' in" football stadium promotions program for UNT? Well, roll up your sleeves like an entire army from SMU did as the link describes:

http://www.dmagazine...sefeathers.aspx

GMG!

Does anyone else visualize the mad-hatter expressions that Plumm probably goes through when crafting his glitter prose??

Oh? Just me?

Haha.

(not knocking ya, keep it up but shorter)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Does anyone else visualize the mad-hatter expressions that Plumm probably goes through when crafting his glitter prose??

Oh? Just me?

Haha.

(not knocking ya, keep it up but shorter)

LOL! You have to admit it was much shorter than most. :rolleyes:

In your own year 40 of this, CW, you get ready to develop some of your own facial expressions, contortions or worse, some form of turret syndrome that will have fallen upon you like a curse! :shocking:

:bling: First..this: North Texas is not the only school in Texas and in the G5 who has had attendance problems. Some ex SWC schools who during their own losing cycle years also had attendance woes, too, and I can re-produce links to prove such for those schools. If not for their own SWC opponent's traveling fans at their respective stadiums, their attendance woes and large numbers of empty seats would have been even more obvious. TCU had terrible attendance back in the 60's and 70's and a big part of the 80's for that matter. They used to daily pray: "Thank you Lord for all those Longhorns, Aggies, Red Raiders and Bears fans for coming to our stadium." So North Texas does not have a corner of the market with the subject of attendance. Personally? I don't think any school is really making hay at the NCAA FBS level unless they are averaging anywhere from 35K to 40K per home game--minimum. Well, some of us don't yet have stadiums to meet those kind of numbers but we really should.

It just behooves logic that no one seems to want to address our attendance problems head-on. That will be the only way it will ever be solved if we're really interested in solving it at all and I think we really are. When and where do we get started in doing so, though?

On the other side of the coin, we also have to remember that all this still has the template of 8 losing seasons in a row in MG Country which makes its difficult from that standpoint. SMU's most aggressive Mustang Mania promotions effort worked quite well and for them with a bad football team at first and before they started doing it the wrong way with their recruiting practices, but promotions had nothing to do with that part of their program. Still at UNT, it almost seems with some that if they ignore the problem and/or all the fans/alums concerned with it (as some have been for more than just 1 or 2 past athletic regimes) that that subject & those who post about it will go away? :) Well, we're here to stay, it's "OUR" school and we ain't going away until Gabriel blows that horn (which for some of us is sooner than later).

We will have decent crowds for our remaining 2013 CUSA home games but "only" if we fulfill the time tested/time proven UNT constituency--based formula we've seen for about forever which is: "If they win so and so game, then I will go to the next home game."...........................Question is: What if we "lose" so and so game, then isn't that the time when a good serious number of butts in seats promotions would have become even more important for a game that has lost much of its luster because of a loss the week before?

Unfortunately, we sure do depend on our HFC and football team to carry the load on whether we will have good attendance from one home game to the next, now don't we? Effective "butts in seats" promotions would take that elephant off their backs where it shouldn't be in the first place.

OK, time for the meds...

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen