Give Chance a Chance!

Harry

He's going to be double triple teamed and shadowed for the remainder of the season. Kickers will kick it out of bounds. Wildcat doesn't work just puts more attention on him. How exactly can we free the chains that bind him??

Darnell Smith and the other receivers are going to need to step up and make teams that double/triple Brelan pay. That will force teams to cover all of our receivers.

If Brelan is back to punt, and the opposition doesn't want to punt to him, that usually means they're punting to a sideline, or punting over his head (for touchbacks). I'm fine with that, otherwise, he's going to get his touches there.

For kickoff returns, James Jones has to prove potent so it's a "pick your poison" deal.

• Upvote 1

I agree with H towngreen. The only way is to distribute the balls to others receivers. DT has to see the whole field and use all the recirvers. Smith, Harris, and Kidsy have all proven the can be playmakers as well. This will free up Brelan, and defenses will have to lick there poison. But it starts with the QB not forcing it into double coverage and getting the ball out his hands quicker.

Jet sweeps. Reverses. But you have to get the ball to your other receivers. They have to step up in order to get Brelan the ball more. Have to make the defense pay for double-teams.

This. Plus the wildcat. Brelan needs to be used as our change of pace in the running game. I want him to get 5 carries a game and at least 5 catches. Plus returns.

When was the last time we saw him run a straight up fly pattern....??? I know going up to get jump balls on the sideline isn't his bread and butter, but I'd like to see more attempts to utilize his speed by stretching the defense. I think that would do wonders for opening up our screen game and more passes to the tight end.

This. Plus the wildcat. Brelan needs to be used as our change of pace in the running game. I want him to get 5 carries a game and at least 5 catches. Plus returns.

I agree with everything but the wildcat. The wildcat doesn't work. It puts more attention on him!!

Take a look at what WV did with Tavon Austin. I think you can do a lot by just pure alignment. Maybe have him line up in the backfield as a FB and motion him out. Have him line up as RB. Line him up in the slot. Different alignments will tip the defenses hand on man or zone coverage. Maybe one or two jet sweeps a game, but lets not get crazy.

• Upvote 2

More focus on Brelan "take a powder and come back strong" Chancellor (it's a Baby Boomer thing from a 1960'esque commercial) anyhow............... more focus on Mr. Chancellor takes the focus off others who could suddenly become even more valuable once CUSA play begins. We are not so much a juggernaut (yet) that we won't need such diversions. Those road games scare the hell out of me, quite frankly.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I think the other receivers have been doing a pretty good job, considering he had few receptions these past few games. I think once we get into conference we're probably going to see him freed up quite a bit more. Especially if we keep going with the plan to pass the TE's once in awhile.

Or.... if that doesn't seem to happen... we brain wash the other teams into making him irrelevant. His trophy case so far this year doesn't help.

Edited by SSP

we need to run more end arounds with him....fake it to him several times, occassionally hand it off to him, sometime fake it and throw a little wheel route to him, etc.

If I'm recalling correctly, we used him on a fake end around early in the first quarter against Ball State. It was awesome. A sea of white just followed him all the way across the left side of the field as either Byrd or Pegram (Can't recall) busted right up the middle for a gain of like 12 or something.

We then ran the reverse later in the third quarter on the drive that set up the game-tying field goal and Ball St., being hesitant to follow him this time, let him run for ten yards before they finally brought him down.

All that to say, it's effective and we definitely need to see more of it!

GIVE CHANCE A CHANCE!!!!

Edited by TheFranchise

He's going to be double triple teamed and shadowed for the remainder of the season. Kickers will kick it out of bounds. Wildcat doesn't work just puts more attention on him. How exactly can we free the chains that bind him??

Do the helmet shuffle. Put Brelan with three other recievers. Put a bag over them and shuffle up. Run to the line. They won't know who to cover. Just before snap, or kick. Take the bags off and see if they guessed where Brelan is.

• Upvote 3

Put him in motion really late into the play clock or immediately before the snap. Make teams plan for the double team on both sides of the formation. Put him in a stacked formation. Just do anything that avoids the defense being able to communicate ahead of time who has what assignments. On kickoff returns put him and the other receiver side by side and have them switch when the ball is in the air.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 2

Do the helmet shuffle. Put Brelan with three other recievers. Put a bag over them and shuffle up. Run to the line. They won't know who to cover. Just before snap, or kick. Take the bags off and see if they guessed where Brelan is.

My Cary Grant impersonation: "Rudy, Rudy, Rudy" (old take of a dad kind of joke from Goober on the old Andy Griffith Show).

And Rudy, the old bag over the head trick could get dear ol' alma mater a lawsuit from the unknown comic? :) Just sayin' (and jokin').

Time for the meds and close to bedtime.

GMG!