It's gonna be painfully hot on Saturday

meangreener

Lol.. I work outside 10,11 hours a day. This will be a cakewalk

you are a man, sir...i hate being outside at 330 making sure the kids get on a bus for 15 mins...heat sucks...but...saturday....i have shade and beer...and even some water...

• Upvote 1

Most of the evenings have cooled down once the sun goes down like in the high 70's?

One year we played Baylor U at old Fouts Field and pre-game on the Fouts parking lot was

about 106 degrees. Guess it worked out for us since we won the game and I think

that was the game when the Baylor's Bears locker room lost electricity during the entire half.

I think it was that embarrassment for our school which caused UNT official to begin serious

discussions about a new stadium, too. :)

GMG!

PS: Once the sun went down during that Baylor game the weather became tolerable looking back.

Here's hoping for a nice breeze this Saturday.

Drink lots of Gatorade and hydrate like all get out

is what I would suggest.

GMG ! !

It 15 till 8 in denton and it is ....96

• Upvote 1

My weather app says 106 for saturday. I have never quite understood why any games played before Oct.1 here are not put off till around the 7:30 pm mark.

Late games used to be played at 7:30 0r 8:00 in the fifties and sixties, then in the seventies they were played in late afternoon supposedly to save energy. We need to go back to those times in September, but I sure prefer early afternoon games when it is cooler. Incidentally, when we beat Oregon St in the 90's, I recall the Oregon Cheerleaders stopped cheering and sat around a sprinkler in the north end zone while most of their fans sat under umbrellas. They were hotter than we were, but probably smarter. I got a pretty good sunburn that day.

Late games used to be played at 7:30 0r 8:00 in the fifties and sixties, then in the seventies they were played in late afternoon supposedly to save energy. We need to go back to those times in September, but I sure prefer early afternoon games when it is cooler. Incidentally, when we beat Oregon St in the 90's, I recall the Oregon Cheerleaders stopped cheering and sat around a sprinkler in the north end zone while most of their fans sat under umbrellas. They were hotter than we were, but probably smarter. I got a pretty good sunburn that day.

Not only did those games start at 7:30 or 8:00 (I think it was 7:30 in the last half of the 60's), but that was BEFORE the country adopted daylight saving time. So that 7:30 in the 60's had the same sunlight and heat as 8:30 today.

Denton, TX

Sat, Partly Cloudy

106°F|°C

Precip: 10%

Humidity: 30%

Wind: 8 mph

What's the % chance of a fireball shower?

I think the hottest I've had to sit through was the 2006 game at the school in Austin which shall not be named. 11:30 kick with NT fans sitting directly in the sun.

I don't know if there will ever be a game hotter than that rIce game at Fouts in 2010. Nathan Tune was the QB and Lance was at RB....that had to be the hottest game I can recall... We had a home game against Baylor that was quite hot as well and they ran out of water and ice...

I think the hottest I've had to sit through was the 2006 game at the school in Austin which shall not be named. 11:30 kick with NT fans sitting directly in the sun.

For me it was my son's first game ever..5th grade. Weatherford vs Burleson August 2011.

He had a 3 p.m. kick off and it was 112 degrees. To make matters worse, the coach(that's what some called him)...tried to make the kids scrimmage in full pads an hour before kick off, till several parents, me included, stepped in and put a stop to that bullshit. Still, just before the first play of the real game an hour later the QB passed out from over heating. And what started out as an enjoyable day off for me turned out to be a day on, and the beginning of one of the worst football seasons I've ever witnessed in my life. And coming from someone who played for Burleson and played in 1980... which was THE benchmark summer of heat in recent memory,...plus suffering through so many years of forgetable Mean Green football seasons.... that's saying something.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Was his "coach" named Benford?

Buddy, let me just suggest to anyone who has boys,... don't let them play Pee Wee football unless you have someone seriously vetted and experienced like GMoney or someone equivalent who knows how to teach fundamental football.

In fact, at our first NT game that year I showed GMoney some video of one of the guy's plays he was trying to teach and GMoney's immediate response was..."Dude... MAKE HIM QUIT RIGHT NOW cause that guy doesn't know what the hell he's doing".

No lie...I bet I lost 3-5 years of my life over that experience. And the days I was on duty and couldn't helicopter over practice to make sure they didnt do some other assinine stunt that could hurt someone else nearly made me physically sick and I drove the wife bananas telling her to watch for this or that. It's hard enough having to live with me 2 days out of three, so it's a wonder we're still married after that?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2

I don't know if there will ever be a game hotter than that rIce game at Fouts in 2010. Nathan Tune was the QB and Lance was at RB....that had to be the hottest game I can recall... We had a home game against Baylor that was quite hot as well and they ran out of water and ice...

According to the Historical NOAA report from Denton Municipal Airport observations,...the day the Baylor game was played on August 31st, 2000, the high temp was officially 107 degrees. The day the Rice game was played on September 11, 2010 it was 98 degrees.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I just hope it doesn't affect attendance too much.

Very valid point.

The biggest problem with attendance is the ease with which those considering Apogee as an evening destination choose other alternatives. Aside from the parking/walking aspect, I think the AD has done a great job removing the reasons they have control of (and I'm not sure how much control they have over parking and personally enjoy walking over from campus to help foster the nostalgia I want when attending a game) but the weather is not one of them.