Dajon Williams

Harry

Wow! Last year Dajon wasn't even considered the best quarterback in District 17-4A...Jake Hubenak was. Of course, Hubenak may have been chosen primarily because of his taking Georgetown all the way to the title game. Williams had a good year (8-4 area finalist) and we knew that he had a lot of potential but I am blown away that he has a chance to start as a true freshman. Either he has made a huge advancement in a short time or our quarterback corps isn't very good.

Still, I just want them to put the best quarterback on the field regardless of classification. Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 4

Wow! Last year Dajon wasn't even considered the best quarterback in District 17-4A...Jake Hubenak was. Of course, Hubenak may have been chosen primarily because of his taking Georgetown all the way to the title game. Williams had a good year (8-4 area finalist) and we knew that he had a lot of potential but I am blown away that he has a chance to start as a true freshman. Either he has made a huge advancement in a short time or our quarterback corps isn't very good.

Still, I just want them to put the best quarterback on the field regardless of classification. Go Mean Green!

He was listed as a top 5 QB in the state by some sites, so he wasn't overlooked and has always been talented

Lookit, when Mac makes a comparison to Brett Meyer who is close to an Iowa State football hero as you can get (4 year starter almost 10K career passing yardage and close to 1000 rushing etc) that mean something!!! That's a big deal! Could it be premature --- perhaps but I can tell you the look in Mac's eyes spoke volumes. This kid is special.

Did Mac have his shades on Harry when you noticed this look? (Just kidding)

Edited by Green Dozer
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't think we've ever seen a freshman QB make a bigger impression on a UNT coaching staff. I expected Mac to back the praise down today but he didn't. I truly think he's got a chance to start.

Scott Hall.

Harry, I still remember reading reports off this website about Hall being the darling of practice. It got me pumped about the season. I miss those reports. Maybe Rick is right. Oh hell, I just derailed the thread with open practice talk. And agreed with Rick on something. This is not the EagleD you remember.

• Upvote 1

I don't think you can judge someone on how they did in High School. There are to many variables. A coaching staff of professionals judging his current performance is a far more reliable assessment. No matter how you spin it, if he isn't going to red shirt, they intend to play him. Or in layman's terms, where there is smoke there's fire. The kid may win the job.

Strange. None of the "he hasn't taken a D1 snap" or "he'll make the rookie mistakes" commentary that we've seen in other threads. Is there that much backlash toward BB's press clippings?

Strange, BB hasn't played a down at any level for a couple of years and that takes a toll on fell, timing, etc... Williams has played. Just my opinion. We just need the best performer on the field.

• Upvote 1

Strange, BB hasn't played a down at any level for a couple of years and that takes a toll on fell, timing, etc... Williams has played. Just my opinion. We just need the best performer on the field.

I tend to agree; recent time spent practicing and playing counts for something. It's like someone I remember being quoted on another subject recently, "in music there is no free ride". and I do believe BB has been working hard. It's just that DW has the benefit of having played last year.

I tend to agree; recent time spent practicing and playing counts for something. It's like someone I remember being quoted on another subject recently, "in music there is no free ride". and I do believe BB has been working hard. It's just that DW has the benefit of having played last year.

So you'd say that playing high school competition equates to or is tougher than facing D1 athletes (granted, it's the scout team)? I'm not advocating for BB to be he guy, I just think it's funny that the same drawbacks are conspicuously missing from the discussion of Dajon's merits as a starter.

• Upvote 3

Lookit, when Mac makes a comparison to Brett Meyer who is close to an Iowa State football hero as you can get (4 year starter almost 10K career passing yardage and close to 1000 rushing etc) that mean something!!! That's a big deal! Could it be premature --- perhaps but I can tell you the look in Mac's eyes spoke volumes. This kid is special.

You mean the special reflection of his shades, yes?

:)

• Upvote 1

So you'd say that playing high school competition equates to or is tougher than facing D1 athletes (granted, it's the scout team)? I'm not advocating for BB to be he guy, I just think it's funny that the same drawbacks are conspicuously missing from the discussion of Dajon's merits as a starter.

I'd say the key words were "tend to agree". Honestly, I think it would be great for Berglund to pull it all together and become the starting QB, since that "could" lead to a redshirt year for Williams, but I'm just glad to be hearing something that suggests the coaching staff is taking a hard look at this passing thing.

Nailed it !!! Watch his HS vids and you can see an almost "effortless and natural flow" to his play...he seems to "know the way". I was very impressed with this West Coast style QB...I think he is going to be BIG at UNT..

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Nailed it !!! Watch his HS vids and you can see an almost "effortless and natural flow" to his play...he seems to "know the way". I was very impressed with this West Coast style QB...I think he is going to be BIG at UNT..

I disagree with the "west coast style" comment. To me he seems to be more of a down the field passer ... more like the Cowboys or old Raiders system than west coast. He does appear to effortlessly whip the ball down field and looks smooth running the ball. He could be a real gem.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I disagree with the "west coast style" comment. To me he seems to be more of a down the field passer ... more like the Cowboys or old Raiders system than west coast. He does appear to effortlessly whip the ball down field and looks smooth running the ball. He could be a real gem.

I don't know that he can 'effortlessly whip the ball'. The throws I saw him making in his hudl video were almost lobs. Nice touch... accurate... but not quick. Going to need some more zip on alot of those throws or they will be defended/picked at this level.

• Upvote 1

I don't know that he can 'effortlessly whip the ball'. The throws I saw him making in his hudl video were almost lobs. Nice touch... accurate... but not quick. Going to need some more zip on alot of those throws or they will be defended/picked at this level.

Check out the video of DW vs Manor. First pass of that video he throws off his back foot because of pressure with plenty of zip. That play gives me hope.

I still say that DW starting this year says a lot more about how bad our QB situation is than how prepared DW is to start at the college level, but here is to hope.

Edited by UNT90

My recollection of him was having a slow release. After rewatching his film this morning he actually has a quick, powerful release when he wants to. He does lob it sometimes but I think that's when he's trying to put some touch on the ball. When he wants to he can fire it in there down the field. I don't think he has any issue planting his back foot and hitting a 15 yard out.

He appears to have all of the physical tools needed ... and it seems Mac believe he may have the mental side to handle the game this year. The scrimmage this weekend should tell us a lot.

When you watch him play two things stand out. 1 He is accurate. I'd be willing to bet he is more accurate then the 3 other QB's. 2 He is a playmaker. He has the ability to make something out of nothing. Like Chico said he brings something to the table that the other guys just don't. Plus he fits with what I believe UNT wants out of the QB position. They are looking for someone who is accurate, wont turn the ball over, has the ability to make plays with their feet, and can throw the deep ball. He does need to work on ball velocity a little bit, but to me its not that big of an issue. He showed enough arm strength to fit some throws in tight spaces. He has all the tools to be a BCS level QB. Plus he looks good in green!

Does he have enough time to overtake the other 3 guys. Well I think that remains to be seen. Would you guys feel upset if he didn't start, but saw playing time with a few packages tailored to fit his abilities? Do you think we as Mean Green fans are blowing this kid up as the savior of the program? I mean in the last 48hrs he has become a household name. How many of you guys honestly thought he was this good back when he signed in Feb? How many of you thought he could be the eventual starter back when he gave his verbal?

I think a lot of the Dajon Williams buzz has to do with us being a QB starved fan base. We haven't had a decent one in a decade or so. So we tend to latch ourselves on to what ever hope presents itself. The other part of the buzz is caused by Dajon himself. Its one thing to be a primetime recruit and to come into a university and have to live up to the hype. Give Dajon credit for making this a 4 QB race. He didn't come to UNT as a highly touted recruit, but he has put in some good work and so far has gotten rewarded with it. I don't know if he will be starting Aug 31, but I wish him all the best because I believe he can really help us

• Upvote 3