UNT shut out on preseason All-C-USA coaches team, picked fifth in West

Harry

North Texas was shut out on the preseason All-Conference USA coaches team that was released today by the league office. The Mean Green was picked to finish fifth in the league’s West Division.

Tulsa was a unanimous pick to win the West, while East Carolina was picked to win the East Division.

This is how the poll shaped up:

West Division
1. Tulsa (14)……98
2. Rice…………76
3. Louisiana Tech..72
4. UTEP…………46
5. North Texas…..39
6. Tulane……….31
7. UTSA…………30

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/07/unt-shut-out-on-preseason-all-c-usa-coaches-team-picked-fifth-in-west.html/

My Mean Green heart really really needs us to finish better than 5th in the West. I have been following since 1995 or so. Not until this year has my green blood slowed.

Here's hoping for a great year and collectively lifting our spirits.

Edited by HoustonEagle
  • Upvote 2

I think we finish in 3rd or 4th...ahead of LATech, UTEP, and UTSA. Tulane has been recruiting well enough to expect them to finally start improving. Rice and Tulsa are better than us. Anything can happen on gameday, but over the course of a full season they should rise to the top.

• Upvote 2

I think we finish in 3rd or 4th...ahead of LATech, UTEP, and UTSA. Tulane has been recruiting well enough to expect them to finally start improving. Rice and Tulsa are better than us. Anything can happen on gameday, but over the course of a full season they should rise to the top.

I agree with this. LaTech's losing too many players, and changing coaches isn't likely to help matters. UTEP has not been good, and they have a new coach who has never been a head coach before. Tulane has been downright awful, although they have been kicking our tail on the recruiting trail and perhaps showing a few signs of improvement on the field. Finishing worse than 3rd in C-USA West should be a disappointment.

• Upvote 1

I can't help but look at Mac's road versus home record thus far. He is outstanding at home...we've had some nice wins (Indiana, ULL last year on national TV). He has been terrible on the road (FIU opening game, Houston last year). So I think we have a chance in all of our home games this year to win. The road is a completely different story. In fact, my hope is that we will continue to win at home and see a marked improvement in terms of how we play on the road.

I refuse to aknowledege that Rice is better especially when the game is on national tv at our house. Tulsa and Georgia are only non-winnable games on the schedule.

Disagree with this. I only see one loss on our schedule. Tulsa game is winnable. Just need to put it together.

As it stands right now, I don't see how you could think Rice is not the better team between us and them. However, they can be beat. We'll just have to see.

I refuse to aknowledege that Rice is better especially when the game is on national tv at our house. Tulsa and Georgia are only non-winnable games on the schedule.

I refuse to call Tulsa a non-winnable game. Hell, I refuse to call Georgia a non-winnable game and I hope our coaches and players feel the same way.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I would think Orr, Lemon, Y'Barbo, and Antonio Johnson could be on the first team by the end of the year if things work out.

As great as that would be, I really would like to see some skill players of ours get post season recognition. Guys like DT or Berglund, chancellor, Terrell, Kidsy, Jimmerson. Some of these guys becoming all-conference caliber playmakers would do a lot for this offense. I've said this many times, but we averaged 20.9 points a game last year and that just won't cut it this year.

As a former lineman myself I greatly appreciate seeing our lineman getting attention this preseason and last postseason, but we need playmakers to emerge this year.

• Upvote 1

Yada, yada, yada....seems even the CUSA coaches are ranking schools based on most of these team's successes and records from last year. Do they ever look at the attrition that takes place from one season to the next....as in............senior graduations along with other variables, too? If we can depend on these pre-season prognostications (and it seems most times that they are made mostly for message board posters from all schools to argue about); anyhow, if we can depend on them.......... North Texas did quite well earlier this summer when we had 7 of our Mean Green players in Phil Steele's magazine pre-season CUSA all conference teams.

:thumbsu: For what it's worth............don't you really have something to build onto with 7 projected CUSA all conference players on your football team?

As far as the CUSA coaches polls go, I also think we could ass'ume that most of that group didn't do 1/10'th the research that Phil Steele's staff does every year.

Yet it really seems that it is still (uh, play on words?) Phil Steele's College Football magazine who actually ranks most any upcoming Fall football teams ignoring a a schools actual W/L record and their school's respective seniors from the year before because......WALA! Those seniors are long gone!

Anyone else having flashbacks to UNT's first few years in the new SBC when we got ignored almost "EVERY" summer while that sexy school over in TN.seemed to always win those summer time best team awards before a football was even teed up? Anyone recall which school went to that new conferences first 4 bowl games?

C-USA coaches, AD's, staffers, janitors, tax-payers, etc, know the extremely difficult to ignore upside we have at the University of North Texas with arguably our school having the conferences best overall varsity venues along with its prime time Mean Green Village location between those 2 Texas interstates and just maybe even they all know deep down that.... their time to kick UNT around is running out. :)

I really do think we will be kicking some of these school's butts they've put ahead of us this Fall--mark it. And God help them all if Coach Dan McCarney actually re-catches our mean green lightnin' in a bottle by emulating the guy whose very photo adorns his office wall looking out over fabulous Apogee Stadium; you know--the one he worked for at the University of Iowa?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen