Check out this Tony Mitchell Celtic Game Review!

Harry

Mitchell bright spot in blowout loss to Celtics

ORLANDOicon1.png — It’s only two summer-league games, but the Pistons might have found a player in Tony Mitchell.

His energy and athleticism were one of the few bright spots in a 93-63 blowout loss to the Celtics on Monday in the second day of summer-league action at the Orlando Magic practice floor.

Mitchell contributed six points and 10 rebounds. He also sparked a brief run in the second quarter when the Pistons trimmed a 21-point deficit to 11.

It was another solid effort after seven points, six rebounds and two blocked shots in the opener Sunday.

And he has competed, an encouraging sign for a player who was labeled as lazy coming out of North Texas.

And he wants to get better.

Read more: http://www.freep.com/article/20130708/SPORTS03/307080109/tony-mitchell-detroit-pistons-summer-league

Super news...a motivated Mitchell could be a tough Mitchell to stop! Nice to see him using the skills and athleticism he has...great job Tony...the Mean Green Nation is proud of you. Keep it up!

• Upvote 3

Different payroll, different results.

Indeed, Drex...indeed...that and a ton more personal motivation. I think Tony has always seem himself at the NBA level, and will shine because he has the self- motivation to want to be successful at the "next" level. Self-motivation and just "plain want-to" bad enough can be a wonderful thing in so many ways...we all see it here in these first two games with TM. Here's hoping he makes it Big Time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The new line of reasoning didn't take too long to present itself did it?

Nope. I don't understand how some can think that motivating Tony Mitchell wasn't the responsibility of the head coach.

So, I'm sure we will see "it's the player's fault" posts by mid-November.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Nope. I don't understand how some can think that motivating Tony Mitchell wasn't the responsibility of the head coach.

So, I'm sure we will see "it's the player's fault" posts by mid-November.

To be fair... Benny spent all of his time motivating Roger. You just can't ask a coach to motivate more than one guy a season. HE'S ONLY ONE MAN.

• Upvote 4

The new line of reasoning didn't take too long to present itself did it?

No new line of reasoning at all...if you think Mitchell was personally motivated last year you were watching a different Mitchell...he even said as much himself. How do you discount what the player said himself? It seems it might just be faulty reasoning...hmmmmmm...or the fact that some are so stuck in never never land that even a plain and simple admission from the player himself is not sufficient.

Now...THAT is amazing. But, only at North Texas, right?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

No new line of reasoning at all...if you think Mitchell was personally motivated last year you were watching a different Mitchell...he even said as much himself. How do you discount what the player said himself? It seems it might just be faulty reasoning...hmmmmmm...or the fact that some are so stuck in never never land that even a plain and simple admission from the player himself is not sufficient.

godzilla_facepalm_sm-150x150.jpg

He'll never live down this good decision with some of you.

• Upvote 1

godzilla_facepalm_sm-150x150.jpg

He'll never live down this good decision with some of you.

I have absolutely no clue what you mean by that statement.

I am going by what the man said about himself. Personally, I am a Tony Mitchell fan, and have spent time chatting with him on more than one occasion one on one. Great kid...great rep for UNT as he does say he loves the place and loved his time at UNT. But, even he acknowledges that he gave less than full effort and even lost interest in the season.

To ignore what the man says about his own efforts is just foolish and speaks of denial. In no way does Tony Mitchell blame Coach Benford for his play and lack of motivation. But, only at North Texas it seems so many want to play the denial game. If it makes folks feel better to ignore the very obvious, fine, but it is what it is.

Tony was bound for the NBA and he is motivated to give all he can to secure his spot with the Pistons. Every member of the Mean Green Nation should be on his side and be wishing him nothing but success. I know I am...but I am also not in denial of what the man himself has said but publicly and privately.

So...I say agin...go get 'em Tony...the Mean Green Nation...at least most of us...are in your corner!

• Upvote 3

I have absolutely no clue what you mean by that statement.

I am going by what the man said about himself. Personally, I am a Tony Mitchell fan, and have spent time chatting with him on more than one occasion one on one. Great kid...great rep for UNT as he does say he loves the place and loved his time at UNT. But, even he acknowledges that he gave less than full effort and even lost interest in the season.

To ignore what the man says about his own efforts is just foolish and speaks of denial. In no way does Tony Mitchell blame Coach Benford for his play and lack of motivation. But, only at North Texas it seems so many want to play the denial game. If it makes folks feel better to ignore the very obvious, fine, but it is what it is.

Tony was bound for the NBA and he is motivated to give all he can to secure his spot with the Pistons. Every member of the Mean Green Nation should be on his side and be wishing him nothing but success. I know I am...but I am also not in denial of what the man himself has said but publicly and privately.

So...I say agin...go get 'em Tony...the Mean Green Nation...at least most of us...are in your corner!

What I mean is this:

A question was posed to Tony Mitchell by a prospective employer: "Tony, how do you explain your drop-off in production from 2011-2012 to 2012-2013?"

Tony really only had one of 2 different answers:

1. Blame himself for not trying hard enough (meaning, he can do better).

2. Blame someone else (blame coaching: meaning, he's not coachable. blame teammates: meaning, he's a selfish player).

He chose answer #1. And that was a wise move, because if he were to chose option #2, he probably would not have been drafted...regardless of what is true. I'm certainly not saying Tony Mitchell did not at times "coast"... but I understand why he did. It's been explained time and again. There's no denial. I don't think I've seen anyone here say, "Tony Mitchell did not coast!"

But, Tony SAID he coasted, so the details of why are meaningless to some. They will simply dust off their hands & say, "Well Tony said it himself..., those are his words..., etc.... Then go on pinning the blame of a failed season on the best player to play for the Mean Green "coasting".

Tony Mitchell will absolutely prove to be the steal of the draft. Tony Benford will absolutely prove to be...?

• Upvote 3

I'm not self-motivated enough to continue reading this thread. It's 2 games in to the SUMMER league.

I hope he's a flipping badass and wins ROY, but let's not take break out the anointing oil just yet.

• Upvote 1

And yet you refuse to hold the coaching staff even one bit accountable for Mitchell's lack of motivation.

Only blame the player. Who was 20 years old.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1