1st 2014 commit Desoto DE Johnavhon Graham

NT03

Johnavon Grahm, a defensive end from DeSoto, became the first player to commit to UNT for its 2014 recruiting class tonight.

Grahm (6-1, 250) was a first-team All-District 7-5A selection last season. UNT was the first team to offer him a scholarship, although several other schools were showing interest. He was recruited by Ryan Walters, UNTs new cornerbacks coach.

UNT has a signed a host of players from DeSoto over the last few years, including linebacker Zach Orr, who played a key role in recruiting Graham.

After talking to coach Walters and Zach Orr, I felt like North Texas is a good fit for me, Grahm said. I fit into their scheme, can make their defensive line better and become a leader.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/05/unt-lands-no-1.html/

This post has been promoted to an article

This is earlier than we've gotten commits the last two years.

This is a huge get. He'll have a chance to play from day 1 and we can keep our De Soto pipeline going. Being a multi-year starter at that school tells me he's earned his stripes and has competed with the best. Very promising. Let's win some games now.

• Upvote 1

This is earlier than we've gotten commits the last two years.

This is a huge get. He'll have a chance to play from day 1 and we can keep our De Soto pipeline going. Being a multi-year starter at that school tells me he's earned his stripes and has competed with the best. Very promising. Let's win some games now.

Plus 1st team all district in a solid district

• Upvote 2

This is an under-the-radar selection but I don't understand why. It seems to me that a 1st team all-district selection in Texas should show up on at least one of the recruiting lists.

I think that Graham will be good in his own right but if he also helps land Nick Orr that's even better.

And UNT90, this year good, big DTs rank right below hen's teeth in scarcity.

• Upvote 1

I really like that he's working on baby Orr already.

Desoto is full of D1 talent every year.

Absolutely! Trice is on Orr too.

@BeGreat8: @N_Orr31 come keep the tradition alive lil bro. #DoOrrDie #GoMeanGreen

Also, zach Orr tweeted a link to this thread to him and he is now following gomeangreen.com on twitter.

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Upvote 3

Absolutely! Trice is on Orr too.

@BeGreat8: @N_Orr31 come keep the tradition alive lil bro. #DoOrrDie #GoMeanGreen

Also, zach Orr tweeted a link to this thread to him and he is now following gomeangreen.com on twitter.

For those who sometimes seem to forget: This is a good reminder that both players and recruits read this board.

• Upvote 7

This is an under-the-radar selection but I don't understand why. It seems to me that a 1st team all-district selection in Texas should show up on at least one of the recruiting lists.

I think that Graham will be good in his own right but if he also helps land Nick Orr that's even better.

And UNT90, this year good, big DTs rank right below hen's teeth in scarcity.

I would think his height is the issue. Listed at 6'1", and we all know what that means.

Never understood why height was so important on the DL (unless being taller means you can add more weight). Booger is the gold standard for under-heighted defensive linemen.

• Upvote 1