Another year without

H-towngreen

I thought for sure if anybody from UNT was going to get drafted, it would be Dunbar.

That being said, I was pleasantly surprised to see our star corner DJ Hayden come back from an injury that nearly ended his life just a few months ago and still get picked #12 overall. Plus our star RB Charles Sims has already been rated the 5th best prospect for the 2014 draft. That will be an even better tool for our already solid recruiting to have 2 UH players get drafted in the 1st round in back to back years.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I thought for sure if anybody from UNT was going to get drafted, it would be Dunbar.

That being said, I was pleasantly surprised to see our star corner DJ Hayden come back from an injury that nearly ended his life just a few months ago and still get picked #12 overall. Plus our star RB Charles Sims has already been rated the 5th best prospect for the 2014 draft. That will be an even better tool for our already solid recruiting to have 2 UH players get drafted in the 1st round in back to back years.

Simms is a stud no doubt.

Draft party in the basement?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Tarleton State wasn't the only "huh?" school. Valdosta, Southern Utah, Western Miss, East Central OK were some I noticed. Come on, really? I know we've had a lot of crap seasons and a few blah ones lately, but that just seems extreme, that we wouldn't have anybody drafted for this long and some of these schools get their guys in. And Central Michigan had the #1 overall draft pick! That's another "How are they now ahead of us" team.

I agree about Dunbar. Not sure I really care about Houston football players getting drafted unless it helps the Cowboys and I almost forgot, Mom, meatloaf...

• Upvote 1

My God what's wrong with you people? Why all the worries? Have y'all not been paying attention to Ned "UNT" Flanders for crying out loud? What with.the brand new skirts our cheerleaders will be wearing next season, the daily record setting season ticket sales and overwhelming donations we are receiving,.....it's all Candy and Nuts around here don't you know?

Hey, just because our program can't develop NFL type talent doesn't mean NFL talent doesn't exist? Our program knows what it's doing. We have SKINS ON THE WALLS! Don't forget, Jamize Olawale couldn't find the playing field in Texas to save his life till he walked into Valley Ranch. Sure, we couldn't use him, but the Cowboys could. See how that works? Y'all are just missing the overall bigger picture of how these things really work.

If nothing else, here's something to look forward to.

Rice just had BOTH of their tight ends drafted. They seem to really know how to use that position and did it very well beating Air Force in the Armed Forces Bowl. So at least they will have newer, less experienced dudes running routes against us this next year, giving us just that more of an edge to finally beat them for the first time in 25 years this coming season.

Rick

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Tight end is an important position. We've been using tight ends again for almost four seasons.

Ah, who am I kidding...we are what we are: complacent.

ACU and Tarleton State are having more players drafted these days. We've got a newer stadium and have traded conference names, though; so, we've got that going for us...which is nice.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1

Tight end is an important position. We've been using tight ends again for almost four seasons.

Ah, who am I kidding...we are what we are: complacent.

ACU and Tarleton State are having more players drafted these days. We've got a newer stadium and have traded conference names, though; so, we've got that going for us...which is nice.

OK -- this has come up before but I feel compelled to clarify why the D-II and I-AA schools (FCS) will have more guys drafted than some I-A (FBS) schools.

D-II guys are not required to meet academic requirements that the I-A players are. This includes both high school and guys who couldn't get their grades in juco. So they will get some outstanding players at that level due to academic circumstances.

I-AA or FCS players often come from power I-A FBS programs as transfers. They can play immediately when they transfer from a FBS to an FCS. So there are some terrific athletes who do not want to sit out a year and choos to transfer to Sam Houston State etc versus sit out a year at an FBS program.

A great example of this is former UNT Coach Kenny Evans at Northeastern Oklahoma. A couple of years ago he had like 11 players who had started at high level FBS schools. So he builds his roster off of a). guys that could not get academically qualified out of high school and do not want to go the juco route and b. transfers from top level programs looking to be able to play immediately.

This is why I am all for the FBS programs refusing to play FCS in non conference payday games. They are helping to subsidize a division of football schools who play by different rules than the rest of FBS does. I just posted an article about the Big 10 making it their policy that they will no longer schedule FCS teams and I hope that other conferences will follow suit.

...our star RB Charles Sims has already been rated the 5th best prospect for the 2014 draft. That will be an even better tool for our already solid recruiting to have 2 UH players get drafted in the 1st round in back to back years.

I was just wondering if he had declared this past year. He's not going to be a first-round pick (no RB's went in the first round this year and there were several that were better "gets" than Sims), but he's definitely a bad-ass. He looked like a man among boys that night NT played at UH.

As an aside, the arrogant tone of your posts is quite irritating.

It seems in order to get drafted from a "smaller" program, you've either got to have incredible "measurables" or be a significant contributing factor on a team that did something noteworthy -- or both. And sometimes even that doesn't mean anything, right, Case Keenum?

Also, we just haven't been very talented for a very long time. That's probably the most significant problem. I'll invite you to take a look at our who's who list of teams we've beaten in the last 20 years as evidence.

Edited by Eagle1855

OK -- this has come up before but I feel compelled to clarify why the D-II and I-AA schools (FCS) will have more guys drafted than some I-A (FBS) schools.

D-II guys are not required to meet academic requirements that the I-A players are. This includes both high school and guys who couldn't get their grades in juco. So they will get some outstanding players at that level due to academic circumstances.

I-AA or FCS players often come from power I-A FBS programs as transfers. They can play immediately when they transfer from a FBS to an FCS. So there are some terrific athletes who do not want to sit out a year and choos to transfer to Sam Houston State etc versus sit out a year at an FBS program.

A great example of this is former UNT Coach Kenny Evans at Northeastern Oklahoma. A couple of years ago he had like 11 players who had started at high level FBS schools. So he builds his roster off of a). guys that could not get academically qualified out of high school and do not want to go the juco route and b. transfers from top level programs looking to be able to play immediately.

This is why I am all for the FBS programs refusing to play FCS in non conference payday games. They are helping to subsidize a division of football schools who play by different rules than the rest of FBS does. I just posted an article about the Big 10 making it their policy that they will no longer schedule FCS teams and I hope that other conferences will follow suit.

Initial qualifier standards for FCS and FBS are identical as are degree progress requirements. Division II on the other hand can take players that can't go to FCS or FBS. The only real difference is the free transfer from FBS to FCS.

As to Division II remember that when Bowden signed his first Division II class at North Alabama EVERY SINGLE SIGNEE had been previously signed by an FBS school. 25 former FBS players. Some didn't make it academically, some didn't get the playing time they wanted and about half had left or been booted from schools for on or off team disciplinary issues.

Several years ago an NFL team (the Cowboys maybe???) drafted a player who had gone to a four year school, red-shirted, then transferred to a juco, played two outstanding years of juco ball but wasn't going to be eligible in FBS or FCS because of degree progress requirements. Because of his age he was old enough to declare for the draft and did and was picked up.

Initial qualifier standards for FCS and FBS are identical as are degree progress requirements. Division II on the other hand can take players that can't go to FCS or FBS. The only real difference is the free transfer from FBS to FCS.

Good point - I would also add is that because the FCS can only offer 60 (or 65) scholarships as opposed to 85 there is a better chance for immediate playing time on FCS.

I hope everyone is taking good notes as there may or may not be a pop quiz on Thursday morning over this material.