Denton best small town in US

My wife, daughter and I moved to Denton in 2005 so I could work on my PhD at UNT. My wife was very reluctant to move there. We all ended up loving Denton. It was the best of "small town" life combined with major metropolitan areas just 30 to 40 minutes nearby, which we frequently took advantage of (malls, Mavs, etc). She found a great job there too (actually closer to Dallas). We left in July 2011 to move to Corpus after I completed my degree and other licensure requirements so I could join my father in practice, which was a life dream, so there was no option to stay in Denton. However, we could have easily lived there for the rest of our lives - no problem at all - we liked it that much. I've been back once already to a UNT game since I left, and I plan to return again hopefully at least one time per year.

• Upvote 1

I grabbed a guys arm walking over the bridge at Jazzfest today thinking it was you. Turn out you have a pretty solid doppelgänger in this town. The Okie St. golf shirt was a kicker as well.

Poor guy! No way i would wear any of my Okie State stuff to Jazzfest. Can you imagine the beating I would take on here if i was spotted at Jazzfest (at the UNT beer booth perhaps) wearing any of my Okie State Orange stuff????

• Upvote 1

Denton is such a neat town. Because it is a county seat it has not been swallowed up in urban sprawl and has been able retained its identity. That is not, however, the impression one might get from coming up here on the interstate. The more visitors use the A Train the more people are going to discover the real Denton.

That train station was placed on the absolute perfect spot. As much as they've done to kill the Fry St. area... the unintended result was to invigorate down town. Dan's, Fuzzy's, Roosters, Oak St, Paschall, Mellow, the new bars Mullberry Cantina, and John from OSDHCB's new bar, and others are thriving. It will be really interesting to see how Tim Love's new Steak House works out.

Edited by Green P1

That train station was placed on the absolute perfect spot. As much as they've done to kill the Fry St. area... the unintended result was to invigorate down town. Dan's, Fuzzy's, Roosters, Oak St, Paschall, Mellow, the new bars Mullberry Cantina, and John from OSDHCB's new bar, and others are thriving. It will be really interesting to see how Tim Love's new Steak House works out.

So can it get to the point where folks from Dallas could ride in on the train hang out in the downtown and have plenty to do bar hopping and food, hotel on a Friday Saturday Night without driving? I know that my hope is the new hotel and convention center will provide that as a spend the night weekend option for people in Dallas that want to drink and enjoy the sights for a couple of days.

In my opinion it's already there. I've had Dallas friends train up to see as show at Dan's on a Friday night and train back to Dallas Sunday afternoon plenty of times. The downtown bar/ restaurant scene is more than enough to keep you satisfied for a day or two if you just don't mind a cab ride to the I35 hotels.

That being said... a solid bed and breakfast or two could make a killing in one of the Historic Downtown houses available.

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 1

In my opinion it's already there. I've had Dallas friends train up to see as show at Dan's on a Friday night and train back to Dallas Sunday afternoon plenty of times. The downtown bar/ restaurant scene is more than enough to keep you satisfied for a day or two if you just don't mind a cab ride to the I35 hotels.

That being said... a solid bed and breakfast or two could make a killing in one of the Historic Downtown houses available.

Great info. I've never ridden on the A train but it just went to the top of my list of cool things to do in the next couple of weekends. Love me some Denton. Have seriously considered moving there after the kids move out of the house.

Maybe a GoMeanGreen guys night out? Sounds like a lot of fun. I would want everyone to take the train and get a hotel to stay the night at Friday and/or Saturday night. If you have any upcoming weekends penciled in because of a particular band or event please let me know. I am thinking about getting a group up there and appreciate all of your insight on it. I wish I would have had this in place for Jazzfest.

Never understood how the new developments killed the fry st area. It's slowly gotten nicer since I arrived on campus in 2008. If anything the area killed itself and the city/developers are trying to bring it back. Just my opinion
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Never understood how the new developments killed the fry st area. It's slowly gotten nicer since I arrived on campus in 2008. If anything the area killed itself and the city/developers are trying to bring it back. Just my opinion

It was my understanding that all the change was started by a realtor from Houston.

So can it get to the point where folks from Dallas could ride in on the train hang out in the downtown and have plenty to do bar hopping and food, hotel on a Friday Saturday Night without driving? I know that my hope is the new hotel and convention center will provide that as a spend the night weekend option for people in Dallas that want to drink and enjoy the sights for a couple of days.

Dallas my rear end. I was thinking that the hotel and convention center would be great for the Granbury fan base...

How late does the train run back to Dallas? Back before I had beds and couches in NYC, I could take the train back to CT as late as 2am. I'd think if you're already seeing an influx of Dallas-ites up to Denton for a night out, that a 1:30 or 2am train could make a killing.

Well...if 2008 is your starting reference point...

• Upvote 1

1. How late does the train run back to Dallas? Back before I had beds and couches in NYC, I could take the train back to CT as late as 2am. I'd think if you're already seeing an influx of Dallas-ites up to Denton for a night out, that a 1:30 or 2am train could make a killing.

2. Well...if 2008 is your starting reference point...

1. When it first went into service you could get out at 1:45 and be just fine. I think they've moved it up to midnight now due to lack of demand? Looking at the schedule it appears they've cut all Sunday travel... thats a bummer.

2. My thoughts exactly.

• Upvote 1

Well...if 2008 is your starting reference point...

The writing on the wall occurred when that developer came in and snapped up all of the businesses between Welch/Fry and Hickory/Oak in 2006. The death knell came when the Fry Street fair was moved in June, 2007, and a few days later The Tomato was burned down.

Cool beans didn't used to stick out like a sore thumb like it does now. We still have riprocks, lucky lou's, and the Tavern on the other side of Hickory though. And I don't think Voertmans is going anywhere.

For all you whippersnappers: https://dentonwiki.org/Fry_Street

• Upvote 1