PJ officially transferring

NT03

Ya know, I find myself caring a lot less than one should after basically finding out that pretty much every player who realistically can leave our program is sprinting out the door. Here's the point: Even if we could return everyone not named Tony Mitchell, this team would be headed for single-digit wins next year. So, there's not much left to lose at this point. Men's basketball at UNT is closed for the next several years.

Of course, we could fix the problem by raising funds, which is what Southern Miss's football program had to do a few months ago. I mean, we are capable of raising some significant cash in a short window of time, aren't we?

• Upvote 2

i have never seen more positives in one thread than this one...everyone is giving positives...that has to be a negative towards benford...damn...other than the cash and job security, it must suck to be him...

reload the positives for today harry!

• Upvote 3

Here's hoping the young man finds happiness somewhere........

2008 - Miami, Florida (Christian Life)

2009 – Houston Dekaney HS

2010 - Humble Christian Life Academy (Houston, Tx)

2012 - Mississippi State signee

2013 - University of North Texas

2014 - TBD

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Here's hoping the young man finds happiness somewhere........

2008 - Miami, Florida (Christian Life)

2009 Houston Dekaney HS

2010 - Humble Christian Life Academy (Houston, Tx)

2012 - Mississippi State signee

2013 - University of North Texas

2014 - TBD

So your saying Benford should have seen this coming?

Our basketball program is about to become as transient as young PJ has been in his basketball career, if not more so.

Get ready for multiple one year players who are either asked to leave or figure that they don't want to be here.

We are about to enter the college basketball wasteland. See ya in 8 years, winning basket.

Maybe.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I'm not going to overreact when backups decide to leave. (Norris, Overlander & Hardwick) Tony Mitchell left for the money. The list of transfers will approach at least 800 this year alone. Tulane just lost 6. I get the Benford frustration. I refuse to pile on for at least another year until I see what we do with the 4 open scholarships and what the team does next year. Am I a hypocrite? Absolutely! I'm just a fan.

• Upvote 4

I'm not going to overreact when backups decide to leave. (Norris, Overlander & Hardwick) Tony Mitchell left for the money. The list of transfers will approach at least 800 this year alone. Tulane just lost 6. I get the Benford frustration. I refuse to pile on for at least another year until I see what we do with the 4 open scholarships and what the team does next year. Am I a hypocrite? Absolutely! I'm just a fan.

Nothing wrong with that, although I would suggest that having a less talented roster and a higher level of competition next year will bring terrible results.

What happens in the next week will tell us volumes. But in the end, we are still talking about a coach who had no idea how to take advantage of an NBA talent last year. I have little faith that he can coach whatever talent there is next year to anything more than 10 wins.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Can someone release a Mike Rice type video of Benford?

Honestly though, Benford is harsh verbally like Rice was to his players in practices. You have to be tough on your players, but Benford has been known to cross the line. Another big reason why his players don't want to play for him.

With today's technology, and a top RTVF department, maybe we can make one?

"A legit Big East Center" may be told to go.

We are really going to JUCO FUBAR it up around here.

FIFY

• Upvote 1

I don't necessarily have a problem with a coach cussing out his players if the coach wins. Many great coaches have been mean SOBs...too many to name. Benford hasn't demonstrated he can win.

I think that there is a big difference between a coach being a mean SOB and coach using derogatory language like Rice did in the video. I’m sure that almost every coach in the nation (except for maybe the ones at BYU) has used four letter words at some point towards a player in a practice and/or game. I’m sure most of them have gotten in a players face and yelled and screamed at them. However, when you use offensive terms like the ones Rice said, that is uncalled for and inexcusable.

I almost hate to say this but perhaps at the coaches caravans we should all boo Coach Benford mercilessly instead of applauding him. It might not even be a bad idea for us to get up and walk out of the room. Heck if people wanted to start chanting “fire Benford” I would join in with them. I believe that one reason why the athletic department hasn’t gotten rid of Benford is because they’re not feeling any real heat from the fan base over this decision. A lot of other fan bases of other schools would have voiced their disappointment and displeasure in some way at a game or an athletic event a long time ago.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think that there is a big difference between a coach being a mean SOB and coach using derogatory language like Rice did in the video. I’m sure that almost every coach in the nation (except for maybe the ones at BYU) has used four letter words at some point towards a player in a practice and/or game. I’m sure most of them have gotten in a players face and yelled and screamed at them. However, when you use offensive terms like the ones Rice said, that is uncalled for and inexcusable.

I was more responding to the stories of people hearing Benford belittle his players.

I almost hate to say this but perhaps at the coaches caravans we should all boo Coach Benford mercilessly instead of applauding him. It might not even be a bad idea for us to get up and walk out of the room. Heck if people wanted to start chanting fire Benford I would join in with them. I believe that one reason why the athletic department hasnt gotten rid of Benford is because theyre not feeling any real heat from the fan base over this decision. A lot of other fan bases of other schools would have voiced their disappointment and displeasure in some way at a game or an athletic event a long time ago.

Yes that's what we need....boo him in a room with 100 people in it. Why have we not thought of this before?

Yes that's what we need....boo him in a room with 100 people in it. Why have we not thought of this before?

We could just not go to any of it. Caravans, games, coaches shows. I mean if only a tiny percentage of the alumni in the metroplex and a fraction on the local population go to these things the AD will get the message!

What's this you say? Only a small percentage of those groups do go to these things and it got smaller as the last season went along? Oh then nevermind, I am sure the AD noticed and will take the appropriate steps to arrest the downward momentum.

We raised 3 million in 30 days. If the AD were honest with donors and wanted to get this done, they could. Instead, we just cross our fingers and pray something changes.

Mind boggling.

Exactly. Some people want to keep believing that we are still this little teacher college with low earning alumns that don't or won't give. We have a big business dept (we have other impressive dept's as well but using business as an example because I am familiar with it) with some very successful alumn's that make a very good living. You don't have to be the CEO to make a decent amount of money and we do have plenty of business alum that fit that bill. Like UNT90 said, if the AD really wanted to buy out Benford's contract, we could raise the money quickly.

We as a university HAVE to get out of this mindset that we can't do certain things now just because we couldn't in the past. NT is completely different in so many ways that there is no comparison to even 5-7 years ago.