CBS Hot Seat Index - Sun Belt

Harry

I don't care if the recruiting threads are sadder than this or not. I just like to have fun looking at them.

It's so re-affirming knowing that finally any name that shows up in the recruiting threads is only going to be a person of good moral fortitude and virtue. Even if they don't sign here, I take comfort in knowing that Fairleigh Dickinson or Tennessee Tech or the like are getting men who will someday(?) make good husbands and fathers

• Upvote 1

It's so re-affirming knowing that finally any name that shows up in the recruiting threads is only going to be a person of good moral fortitude and virtue. Even if they don't sign here, I take comfort in knowing that Fairleigh Dickinson or Tennessee Tech or the like are getting men who will someday(?) make good husbands and fathers

Oh I don't care about that. Don't like to put too much pressure on the kids being good. I just like to sit back and have fun looking at good threads about kids that might or might not come to North Texas.

• Upvote 1

That's good andrew. If we lose for the next 50 years at least YOU will have fun. What a joke. Your an idiot. How did you ever get into college or out of high school for that matter? Didn't you say you

coached or played? obviously NOT AT A COMPETITIVE LEVEL.

Edited by mgfan
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not sure I actually either admitted either of those things... At this point I am just enjoying the sport. I do not get worked ip anymore though I may again. Right now I just like watching the games. Is that not ok? I will not have fun losing for that long, but right now for it is not all about winning. Think some people are being a little over dramatic.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Sadly, this is the attitude of everybody involved with the program that has power, money or both.

If you're having "fun" watching losing teams, then why change anything, right?

Well nothing has changed with football 8 years later, so why the double-standard with basketball. This season sucked, but need to give 1-2 years to allow him to get his own players.

RV and company have shown it is a 3-4 year plan regardless of record

• Downvote 4

That's the thing though. It's the metaphorical "parents" in North Texas athletics that we have little faith in.

Imagine your Dad never financially supporting you in athletics even after you showed interest, continuously making it hard for you to have the same equipment that fellow teammates had to succeed, then substitute the UNT administration for your father in this metophor and you will see why many are frustrated with UNT athletics.

And don't worry, we realize this is petty jealousy and bad parentng and nothing that the child has done.

That's where I was going with it. And my intent was for the metaphor to include the admin (better now though it may be) along with the majority of our "circle" (many alums, students, faculty, staff, and Denton residents who benefit greatly from UNT's presence as well as the attention and business that is generated by athletic and other extracurricular events) as the substitute "parent" as a collective whole. And just as my parents weren't always as bad or unsupportive as the parts I mentioned, we do have some (like many on here and some great supporters in the demographics I just listed) beacons of hope that we can see may grow into a better "family unit".

What may be needed to promote it to everyone but the key policy and account holders is as simple as what gets families to put kids into sports in the first place. It promotes our competitive nature to achieve and succeed; helps provide an example for a healthy lifestyle; and, as we strive to follow regulations rather than find ways around them and hide indiscretions like some other schools, it asks us to remember that we can develop well-rounded students who can prove that dedication, with the necessary amount of support, can lead to fulfillment of goals in every aspect of their life. We can't be the parent that says, "this is what you're good at, stick with this one thing and you have to give up everything else because it will hold you back".

I felt that last part was a necessary segment of it as well, because unity isn't just asking everyone for blind optimism and spirit, but to stop with the infighting when it comes to having to "choose" what we support. While a given person may spend their time and money on one area rather than another, what must stop is the ridiculous notion that these things cannot exist together in unison. So, though they won't likely be reading this, we must find a way to create better understanding with the people who claim that we "need to take money away from this program so we can better fund that one." There are always difficult decisions to be made when it comes time for budget meetings, but the fairly regular assumption that "whatever extracurricular program or department is performing this year deserves the budget from one that needs work" not only comes with fiscal appropriation issues (i.e. types of funds legally allowed for different types of programs), but also with a sense of superiority. It's great to take pride in your major or program or organization of choice, but the presumption that another shouldn't exist in order for yours to better thrive is a big problem in terms of our unity as a University community.

That's good andrew. If we lose for the next 50 years at least YOU will have fun. What a joke. Your an idiot. How did you ever get into college or out of high school for that matter? Didn't you say you

coached or played? obviously NOT AT A COMPETITIVE LEVEL.

Not sure I actually either admitted either of those things... At this point I am just enjoying the sport. I do not get worked ip anymore though I may again. Right now I just like watching the games. Is that not ok? I will not have fun losing for that long, but right now for it is not all about winning. Think some people are being a little over dramatic.

This diffraction of our goals should probably also be touched upon. As I'm sure we've already hit the nail on the head as far as knowing that we would all like to win more, let us not forget that there is a need for the kind of support that Andrew offers. Motivation and criticism can help drive the focus to make us better, but it is also important to know that there are people who will say, "I would really like a win. But don't worry, I'm still here, even when you're behind as the clock runs out."

I don't want this to sound like the over-pacification where nobody keeps score and everybody gets a trophy, but rather the ferocity of loyalty. We don't just get excited when you're on a hot streak or everything is going according to plan...we also stand behind you when everything seems to go wrong and you can't seem to catch a break. We can think of excuses and fingers to point and people to fire every day, every year, for years on end, but if we can't be ferociously loyal, and spread that ferociousness to every corner of campus and as many alumni as possible, then athletes, students, and onlookers will always know us as a fair-weather-fan University. Good feelings and increased attention and donations and attendance when all goes well, but nothing but blame and hard feelings when the winds change.

This doesn't just fit our needs in athletics, but also in academic competitions, paper presentations, new businesses, and anything else that goes on with North Texans. Looking up to see someone smiling and hoping for the best for you does a lot more than glancing over to see the face of someone who just hopes you don't screw up too badly.

• Upvote 2

If you're going to play the game play to win. Otherwise F it.

Definitely play to win. But if you lose, do you give up? Or do you work harder so that you can develop your skills and come back better?

Any win worth celebrating comes at the cost of feeling what it is like to lose something.

Even more embarrassing than our current trajectory (barring a miracle recruit) to finish with around 25 losses is the message we're sending to the college basketball world UNT Alumni base..

Fixed.

Assuming you meant that a 1st year head coach at the college level can orchestrate the most disappointing year in school basketball history and still have a job.

But, we are UNT.

• Upvote 1

Fixed.

Assuming you meant that a 1st year head coach at the college level can orchestrate the most disappointing year in school basketball history and still have a job.

But, we are UNT.

Good fix . . . and that's exactly the point. Why will any alumni (other than the most hardcore of us) give their time and/or money to a program whose leadership is shouting "We don't care!"

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1