Why I'm Excited For Next Season 2013

H-towngreen

I can see why Brock is getting so much attention, but with out a supporting cast I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. we need need some receivers to step and our d needs to get to the qb more if we plan on winning 6 games. Not to metion not fetting burned on the long ball wouldn't hurt.

I'm really excited to see what chancellor can do this year if Berglund is good.

• Upvote 2

One thing about the ability to compare players in the same position that concerns me is this: the Spring game uses one segment of the team against the other. So you can see, for instance, how one QB does with his group of offensive players against a specific set of defenders, and then see the same for the other. I know it makes for the excitement of the Green vs. White squads, but the real comparison will come in the practices. Replacing a single variable, with all other things held to an equal standard (i.e. switching DT for BB and comparing their success with the same offensive players against the same defensive players) is the only way to get a true comparison. So we really will have to wait until Fall to see how it all plays out.

• Upvote 1

I see Macs job on the line this year and its going to rest in the hands of our QB. I dont see how DT can be the starter, hes not a D-1QB, I like him as a person but he cant get it done on the field.

How can you get excited about a team when they finished 1-4 in there last 5 games and haven't won back to back games in 8 years

Edited by Dr. Seuss
  • Upvote 2

I see Macs job on the line this year and its going to rest in the hands of our QB. I dont see how DT can be the starter, hes not a D-1QB, I like him as a person but he cant get it done on the field.

How can you get excited about a team when they finished 1-4 in there last 5 games and haven't won back to back games in 8 years

Mac's job is on the line here. First, Rawlins is not going to let it happen. Second, think about the economics. And finally, Mac will be here until the end of his contract regardless.

Mac's job is on the line here. First, Rawlins is not going to let it happen. Second, think about the economics. And finally, Mac will be here until the end of his contract regardless.

First, Rawlins wont be here, hes retiring. Second, think about the economics, heres an example; sunk cost. Finally, If Mac doesnt get to 6 wins, he should be fired. There is no reason for a coach with his type of resume not to get 6 wins in his 3rd year.

Edited by Dr. Seuss

First, Rawlins wont be here, hes retiring. Second, think about the economics, heres an example; sunk cost. Finally, If Mac doesnt get to 6 wins, he should be fired. There is no reason for a coach with his type of resume not to get 6 wins in his 3rd year.

I honestly can see him keeping his job regardless of whether they get to 6 wins or not. If they were to be more competetive against

a more competetive schedule, I can see him keeping his job. The schedule is more challenging this year based on the league we are in. Not that I agree with that, but I can see it being their mindset. They may be looking for baby steps where the fanbase is looking for leaps and bounds.

GMG

GMG

• Upvote 1

I honestly can see him keeping his job regardless of whether they get to 6 wins or not. If they were to be more competetive against

a more competetive schedule, I can see him keeping his job. The schedule is more challenging this year based on the league we are in. Not that I agree with that, but I can see it being their mindset. They may be looking for baby steps where the fanbase is looking for leaps and bounds.

GMG

GMG

I dont think anyone cares about moral victories anymore. If you lose by 40 or 1, its still a lost.. Its just me but I dont see season tickets increasing if we dont get bowl eligible in year 3

I dont think anyone cares about moral victories anymore. If you lose by 40 or 1, its still a lost.. Its just me but I dont see season tickets increasing if we dont get bowl eligible in year 3

I think regardless of what Mac does this year he will get at the very least a 4th year. Both of our coaches in both major revenue generating sports have 5 year contracts and we don't have the money to buy them both out. Therefore, I believe Mac will get 5 years because of the now disaster across the street.

And a side note to this: Can you imagine if Mac only gets to 4-5 wins and Benford has another season like this year - we could be staring at the possibility of potentially buying out 3 of the last 4 major sports hires here.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999
  • Upvote 1

I think regardless of what Mac does this year he will get at the very least a 4th year. Both of our coaches in both major revenue generating sports have 5 year contracts and we don't have the money to buy them both out. Therefore, I believe Mac will get 5 years because of the now disaster across the street.

And a side note to this: Can you imagine if Mac only gets to 4-5 wins and Benford has another season like this year - we could be staring at the possibility of potentially buying out 3 of the last 4 major sports hires here.

Ive said it once, Ill say it again... If we can pay Idaho 400k to come to Denton for one game, we can afford some better coaches

• Upvote 1

Let's see three years ago I was sitting in Historic Fouts , in the rain, eating a cold hot dog watching us play some team from someplace in Florida I never even new existed!

Now I go 2 hours early , tailgate( maybe the best venue in Texas), take an elevator to club level, have a buffet, a cold Beer. I will watch us play a school I have heard of and actually know alumni.

I am Dam exicited, this may be the best Football Schedule ever! I know it is the best facility!

I can not be more proud of the steps my University has taken.

Just win a few more and be competitive with all.

Sincerely,

X Thumb Sucker

• Upvote 3

Let's see three years ago I was sitting in Historic Fouts , in the rain, eating a cold hot dog watching us play some team from someplace in Florida I never even new existed!

Now I go 2 hours early , tailgate( maybe the best venue in Texas), take an elevator to club level, have a buffet, a cold Beer. I will watch us play a school I have heard of and actually know alumni.

I am Dam exicited, this may be the best Football Schedule ever! I know it is the best facility!

I can not be more proud of the steps my University has taken.

Just win a few more and be competitive with all.

Sincerely,

X Thumb Sucker

Well stated!!

You do know that we are still in a conference with those teams from someplace in Florida you never even knew existed, right?

But hopefully your hot dogs are a little warmer.

I'm excited, too, but it does worry me that we are being predicted to finish 2-10 in some publication. That tells me that others who are looking at us from the outside just don't see much. I trust Coach Mac, though. I think we will surprise a lot of people and win 5-6 games. But for those who think McCarney is on the hot seat this year, we would have to win 2 or less games for that to even be a consideration, and even that probably wouldn't do it, considering Dodge came back after winning two games in his third year here. The key number for McCarney this year isn't wins and losses, its his buyout. The university has already shown that it cannot afford to buy out more than two years of a contract when they finally canned Dickey and had to hire a high school coach to come here, just to be able to pay the bills. Paying off two years of the highest contract UNT has ever handed out doesn't seem very realistic, if you go by the history of this university when it comes to athletics. McCarney's seat may be a bit warmer, but its not uncomfortable. His 4th year will be the hot seat if we don't perform well this year. The 4th year of a 5 year contract is do-or-die in college sports. You cannot let a coach recruit when he only has the year ahead left on his contract. Our recruiting sucks enough as it is. If we haven't figured out if McCarney is the right guy by the end of his 4th year, our recruiting would drop to a level that SFA or SHSU would be looking down at us. No one would select to go to a university to play for a program that doesn't have a coach set for the next few years ahead. That would be suicide.

Rawlins will be here until the end of the year, so Mac is safe.

Rawlins will be here until the end of the year, so Mac is safe.

From Rawlins email "I have notified the UNT System Board of Regents of my intent to retire, and encouraged them to begin the search for a new president. I have agreed to remain president while they conduct a search and plan to stay until the arrival of my successor. "

I'm not sure it will take 9 months to find a successor.

From Rawlins email "I have notified the UNT System Board of Regents of my intent to retire, and encouraged them to begin the search for a new president. I have agreed to remain president while they conduct a search and plan to stay until the arrival of my successor. "

I'm not sure it will take 9 months to find a successor.

Have you ever been on one of the search committees? Some of them, for positions along the lines of "right under the head of a department," can be over in a couple of months, even less. But for big positions, like President, they can last a really long freaking time...especially if they finally decide on which finalist will get the job offer, and that person declines (already took another position, got an offer for more money to stay where they are, etc.) and you have to start all over again. So if they move very quickly, we may see a new President in about 6 months or so. If things are held up (waiting for schedules to align to interview candidates, disagreements between levels of bureaucracy, or a re-start like I mentioned above), you could be looking at 1-2 years before someone is chosen AND finishes out whatever semester they've committed to elsewhere and finally sets foot on campus to start work with UNT. That's why a lot of us are relieved that Rawlins agreed to stay until someone else comes in...because otherwise, you have an "Interim" President, who is usually someone else in the Admin with their own job to attend to and has to run around like a crazy person trying to do a few of the Prez duties as well in between everything else.