Why I'm Excited For Next Season 2013

H-towngreen

QB - Brock mother f'in Berglund

RB - Jim Jim is back, Byrd is back, and throw in Peagram

WR - Chancellor and Carlos Harris are proven on the inside. We have several young WR who will need to step up. To me it all depends on how Terrell does on the outside.

OL - Returning 4 starters with several battles brewing from a solid O-line last season

DB - A lot of bodies, hopefully some depth is being built,

LB - Strong unit with depth

DL - We need some DT's to step up but we have numbers here.

• Upvote 3

All you said but part of why I am excited is there is a big step up in accountability in Mac's 3rd season. You start losing games and you better bet we will see more throws on 1st down. These guys have to win -- not a national championship but at least 6 games with close losses -- no more 1st quarter blowouts against anyone... we need to see a fun, young team that shows the potential to be even better in the future.

Let's face it, there is going to be some hype entering this season because of how good our team looks like it could be on paper. Just because we got Benford'd in basketball doesn't mean we can't sip on that green kool-aid heading into this football season.

I loved watching this offensive line and Jimmerson go to work last year, and we should see that more this year against defenses that don't have 8-9 in the box.

Can't guarantee much on the defensive end other than the fact that we have 2 stud linebackers and a rising star at a cornerstone position in Zac Whitfield. Second-team all conference is nothing short of prodigious for a guy in his first year playing the position, especially considering the lack of pressure our d-line got a lot of the year. Hopefully that can improve.

Edited by BillySee58

The biggest reason to be excited for 2013...

There has been one more year under Frank Wintrich.

He is quite possibly the biggest and best thing to happen to Mean Green coaching. Our players are growing more "elite" if you will under his coaching. When he started the conditioning program basically had two tiers of players. Each season, through his program, those tiers have elevated by one. So now we have something like 5/6 tiers. Those guys at the top tier are near NFL caliber in their strength and conditioning. (And another reason why RS is so important.)

It is shocking to think that prior to Dodge we never had a dedicated S&C coach for football. (Not knocking Sekora(sp) but trying to train 100 FB players as well as every other sport is an impossible task.) About the only bright spot on the Dodge resume was that he got a dedicated S&C in here. (Albeit one whose program destroyed players feet...but it was a start.)

You should all seriously consider thanking the god of your choosing each night for Frank Wintrich being here.

• Upvote 7

I'm withholding judgement until the spring game. We should soak up all the info we can from next Wednesday until the spring game, because the off season stretch until fall practice is particularly brutal. I sure hope Berglund has an impressive spring game performance, it would make those months a lot easier.

While the spring game is fun, it's not all that informative. If it's a high scoring affair, is it because our offense is that good, or is it because our defense is that bad? And vice versa with a low scoring affair. And it always seems that the stars of the spring game are not the ones seeing a lot of playing time come fall.

But I do think practices are open in the spring--is that right?

• Upvote 2

All you said but part of why I am excited is there is a big step up in accountability in Mac's 3rd season. You start losing games and you better bet we will see more throws on 1st down. These guys have to win -- not a national championship but at least 6 games with close losses -- no more 1st quarter blowouts against anyone... we need to see a fun, young team that shows the potential to be even better in the future.

Harry agree. But how long are our we going to be "young"? Other colleges win with "young" teams, why not North Texas?

* "young" was an excuse word thrown around in WBB and MBB this year to.

Edited by Green Dozer

While the spring game is fun, it's not all that informative. If it's a high scoring affair, is it because our offense is that good, or is it because our defense is that bad? And vice versa with a low scoring affair. And it always seems that the stars of the spring game are not the ones seeing a lot of playing time come fall.

But I do think practices are open in the spring--is that right?

Agreed, it's hard to judge players based on a spring game. I think Teegarden had an impressive showing for us last year in the spring game and had 3 catches in the regular season. It will be much easier to get some impressions on Berglund though, we'll see how he can move the offense vs. DT.

• Upvote 1

I'm withholding judgement until the spring game. We should soak up all the info we can from next Wednesday until the spring game, because the off season stretch until fall practice is particularly brutal. I sure hope Berglund has an impressive spring game performance, it would make those months a lot easier.

I want to see what Berglund can do. The spring game will let us know if the hype was warranted (I hope it was and is).

There is no reason to be excited yet. I'll be excited when I see the Ws on the the field, not because so and so looks great in practice. Our past years have been a mediocre, new league and better competition and I see us going through some struggles. Berglund may come in and save this team, or he could be a bust. I will wait to see it on the field.

• Upvote 3

There is no reason to be excited yet. I'll be excited when I see the Ws on the the field, not because so and so looks great in practice. Our past years have been a mediocre, new league and better competition and I see us going through some struggles. Berglund may come in and save this team, or he could be a bust. I will wait to see it on the field.

Okay, as the song says, "See You In September."

Green Otaku, on 13 Mar 2013 - 11:43, said:

Sure. But the thread title is called, "Why I'm Excited For Next Season 2013", not "Why to bet your House Note on Next Season 2013".
  • Upvote 2

I can see why Brock is getting so much attention, but with out a supporting cast I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. we need need some receivers to step and our d needs to get to the qb more if we plan on winning 6 games. Not to metion not fetting burned on the long ball wouldn't hurt.

• Upvote 1