OT: BigEast/ESPN/CBS TV deal

Coach Bill Lewis

AND they're staying with ESPN it appears although it's not voted on yet by the members.

As I said previously, they should have signed a deal no longer than three years. The rights fees are going to increase significantly in coming years as Fox and NBC come to the realization that they're going to need more content.

They're really going to be scratching their head when C-USA gets a deal equivalent or better than the Big East in three years. I just can't understand why they don't understand this. They're going to give up at least four years of much better money by signing such a long term deal.

View the full article

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

ESPN's deal with the Big East includes seven years for men's basketball (2013-20) and six years for football (2014-20). The deal breaks down to $10 million for the 2013-14 basketball season and $20 million starting in 2014-15 for football and men's basketball, sources said

Sources said CBS will also extend its men's basketball rights with the Big East, paying the league about an additional $2 million annually.

That will bring the Big East's total media rights value to about $22 million annually, starting in 2014 and, based on a 12-team league, worth about $1.8 million per school annually.

You know, I'm thinking Houston's plan is to win the conference next year and possibly try and parlay that success (re: BCS bowl payout/attention) into another conference invite from the big12 or something. I think Sumlin's momentum is still there and they could pull this off. But it has to go perfectly... and even then, it's a longshot.

What is SMU/Tulane's plan?

• Upvote 1

I really like the way we have this positioned right now. If we take care of business and that of course means WIN we can build rivalries and interest in this league. I get so tired of the argument that the new C-USA is Belt leftovers...just complete positioning and bullshit. MT is quickly becoming and all sports powerhouse in a great market; FIU has shown they can win against the likes of Central Florida and Louisville; Florida Atlantic has a brand new stadium and good coach who will turn things around quickly. Both are in terrific markets with fertile recruiting. As we know, UTSA has tremendous fan support and great city and corporate support; La. Tech say what you will but they win and maximize their resources every single year, they are also improving in basketball; Southern Miss has won CUSA as much as anyone...I mean you can go down the list and there are good programs or programs with higher upsides than some of what you see in both Beast and Mountain West. Look at the schools in C-USA and show me one that is just going through the motions...every one of these programs is actively trying to better themselves either through facilities or coaching...they are sitting in good markets that will help ensure good TV exposure.

My point is we have a great platform to move up to the next level in this conference. We just have to take advantage of it. That is the key. My biggest fear is that we've done so much in a short period of time, and frankly our history shows a pattern of complacency which is just unacceptable going forward. Contrary to popular opinion, I don't have Benford in my sights until next season --- Mac is the one I have my magnifying glass on at this particular time and I'm optimistic we will see significant progress this year. If not we will find out whether or not we have become complacent again...

I love that we are talking about baseball as a reality and the basketball practice facility got funded and built so quickly. I love that Ernie Kuhne has taken a leadership role on the BOR and think he could bring some additional support and accountability.

I think moving the season tickets to a privately held COMMISSION based model is smart...it's very difficult to run a sales organization on annual salaries in a University setting.

I know this basketball season has been a mess, but I'm please to see that late in the season the guys haven't given up with all the injuries losses etc...

Sorry for the novel but these are my feelings at this time about where we stand.

The water is starting to get a little hot for SMU and UH..

The payday at the end of the rainbow is not there, the travel expenditures are going to significantly increase and the projected lineup that was supposed to further drive the ticket sales has taken a nose dive.

Especially when you consider that they just tucked their tail and ran from next year's HOME game against Baylor...to replace them with Montana State.

• Upvote 1

Forgive the cliche', but those things that go around often come around. It is quite possible that the future will see a return to regionalism and close geographic rivalry. In the meantime SMU seem an enigma in that it seems far more interested in putting fat cat donors in an ever increasing number of private suites than in putting actual bodies in seating sections of Ford Stadium. Such an inverted, top heavy phenomenon will almost certainly collapse under its on weight eventually for that is not college football. It is difficult to tell exactly what it is except, perhaps, some sort of inbred and exclusive private club. Those are, of course, always limited in number by definition.

• Upvote 1

Forgive the cliche', but those things that go around often come around. It is quite possible that the future will see a return to regionalism and close geographic rivalry. In the meantime SMU seem an enigma in that it seems far more interested in putting fat cat donors in an ever increasing number of private suites than in putting actual bodies in seating sections of Ford Stadium. Such an inverted, top heavy phenomenon will almost certainly collapse under its on weight eventually for that is not college football. It is difficult to tell exactly what it is except, perhaps, some sort of inbred and exclusive private club. Those are, of course, always limited in number by definition.

Well said, ragpicker.

• Upvote 1

North Texas and C-USA couldn't have hoped for much better news with this media deal. I just can't see anymore C-USA programs jumping ship for the new Big East. It will be interesting to see how Houston and SMU react to these numbers.

I've said this before, but as of now NT is in a better position for future success than UH or SMU. We moved to CUSA at the perfect time. UH and SMU are going to be scraping the bottom with awful attendance and struggling to make ends meet...UH playing in Reliant against the likes of UConn...etc. This year MUST be our breakout or else people need to be fired. From top down. This is a massive opportunity to move up in the CFL world.

You guys DO realize us and SMU are sitting much prettier than you think and would want.

http://www.athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-big-tens-expansion-wish-list

If the B1G even has us on their wishlist (albeit towards the bottom), I guarantee every P5 conference has us somewhere on their expansion list. I can't speak for SMU obviously but we had one of the biggest fanbases in CUSA. Time will tell if you guys can surpass or match us and tbh, the odds aren't in your favor.

Edited by Cougar King

You guys DO realize us and SMU are sitting much prettier than you think and would want.

http://www.athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-big-tens-expansion-wish-list

If the B1G even has us on their wishlist (albeit towards the bottom), I guarantee every P5 conference has us somewhere on their expansion list. I can't speak for SMU obviously but we had one of the biggest fanbases in CUSA. Time will tell if you guys can surpass or match us and tbh, the odds aren't in your favor.

I heard that was gonna be a old west style duel between the NFC East and AFC West to decide who gets to invite you guys. Of course, that's only if EPL doesn't snatch up SMU's soccer program first.

Yes, because that wish list came directly from the B1G office itself.

Just glad that you are claiming an education from UH.

• Upvote 1

I can't speak for SMU obviously but we had one of the biggest fanbases in CUSA.

You can't speak for any school. You're a clown on a message board.

The Big East is the big loser in realignment; they saw their value drop and founding members leave.

We now know the market value of the Gang of Five $1.8 million.

• Upvote 2

You are definitely ahead of us at this point, but it is not because you are in the big east. On top of that, what we are saying is that it is going to hurt you and smu in the long run.