Rice Game vs, UNT on Halloween - National TV!

CaliMeanGreen

Get the Greeks involved in some sort of a Halloween carnival for kids on "The Hill"?

Unlikely. The Fraternities and Sororities will be drinking elsewhere before and during the game because tailgating with your chapter is a Greek activity. They will watch it from bars down the street from Apogee. Reality...

Edited by UNTexas
  • Downvote 1

Go look at the posts about this game. Tell me that the majority are pretty much true to form. Glass half full vs half empty folks....those that try to see the possibilities for positives vs those that always seem to find the negative in everything first.

Runs about the same with a few exceptions in pretty much every discussion of anything.

I guess we all pretty much respond as we see life in general...human nature being what it is and all that.

Here's the facts...game is going to be played on Oct. 31st. Come...don't come...your choice. If you don't...why not try to get your tickets into the hands of someone who can come? Make it your goal to "replace yourself".

My guess...this was the league's doing since it is a national TV game. For me, I am grateful for the national exposure for UNT.

• Upvote 2

"My guess...this was the league's doing since it is a national TV game. For me, I am grateful for the national exposure for UNT." - I agree with this because its good exposure. I personally won't make the game because my girls come first but I am grateful I can watch the game as soon as I do the first round around the neighborhood, then swap with the wife, put the bowl of candy on the porch on an honor system, and watch some ball.

I do live on one of those hoods where everyone takes one or two treats...

• Upvote 1

National TV? Are we sure about that?

No, it's more likely to be on FSN Southwest from what has been said on here.

Also, a former teammate of mine who plays for Rice posted a picture of their schedule on his Facebook and the date for the UNT game was 11/2. Not sure if this Halloween thing is still going to happen or not.

No, it's more likely to be on FSN Southwest from what has been said on here.

Also, a former teammate of mine who plays for Rice posted a picture of their schedule on his Facebook and the date for the UNT game was 11/2. Not sure if this Halloween thing is still going to happen or not.

Oh no, you mean all the angst and built up rage might be for naught? What a waste of good complaining if this is true. Oh, well, great practice for whatever comes up next. But, what do those Rice folks know? It could still happen and then all this wailing and gnashing of teeth would not have been in vain. We can only hope! :thumbsu::judge:

I think it's brilliant. Costume contests, trick or treating. If we're good, we'll have over 20K. Huge opportunity to get national recognition as we will be the only game on TV and it's not just a random Tuesday. Back to back years on TV. I like.

Exactly. And most college kids don't have kids. So you know, who cares about trick-or-treating. Or it being on a Thursday night. There are over 30k students at UNT. It's a college football game. It's a chance to be on TV against a regional rival (which means we'll be in Houston, too) and people can stop forgetting our football team exists.

Oh no, you mean all the angst and built up rage might be for naught? What a waste of good complaining if this is true. Oh, well, great practice for whatever comes up next. But, what do those Rice folks know? It could still happen and then all this wailing and gnashing of teeth would not have been in vain. We can only hope! :thumbsu::judge:

As my wife might say.........You're so cute when you're trying to be sarcastic. B)

It's on the schedule mailer that our athletic department sent out as 10/31.

Are you saying they may have made a mistake? That they didn't do their homework before mailing it out? Why must you be so negative about our athletic department? They're doing the best they can but, obviously for you it's not enough. Give more money as penance!!!

Careful, they may ask for your decoder ring back.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This situation is a good example (for us anyway) of why the past suggestion(s) that have been made of moving the actual "treat or treating" part of Halloween to the nearest previous Friday or Saturday is a good idea. In this case it would be the 26th and that is an out of town game for us.

Here's one article about the suggestion.....

http://the-american-catholic.com/2009/10/29/moving-halloween-to-saturday-treat-or-trick/

Edited by SilverEagle

Go look at the posts about this game. Tell me that the majority are pretty much true to form. Glass half full vs half empty folks....those that try to see the possibilities for positives vs those that always seem to find the negative in everything first.

Runs about the same with a few exceptions in pretty much every discussion of anything.

I guess we all pretty much respond as we see life in general...human nature being what it is and all that.

Here's the facts...game is going to be played on Oct. 31st. Come...don't come...your choice. If you don't...why not try to get your tickets into the hands of someone who can come? Make it your goal to "replace yourself".

My guess...this was the league's doing since it is a national TV game. For me, I am grateful for the national exposure for UNT.

Kram, I do agree that sometimes people are negative too much on this board. I don't think you realize though that through all the jokes, sarcasm, pictures, etc. there is a lot of truth behind the bitching and griping. I have been following NT since 1995 and a lot of issues we have with the AD today are the exact issues we had back then. Don't you think that always blowing sunshine up peoples arses and only looking at the positives is really detrimental to the program? If the promotions dept sux then the truth to the matter is the promotions dept sux and ignoring it doesn't help a thing.

Overall, having a glass half empty approach isn't the answer but having a glass completely full isn't either.

Edited by GreenMachine
  • Upvote 2

It's on the schedule mailer that our athletic department sent out as 10/31.

Are you saying they may have made a mistake? That they didn't do their homework before mailing it out? Why must you be so negative about our athletic department? They're doing the best they can but, obviously for you it's not enough. Give more money as penance!!!

Careful, they may ask for your decoder ring back.

It wasn't me that said it might not be on 10/31...go ask the guy who posted it...quote his post and maybe he can fill you in.

Or, do us another long list of what you think is wrong with everything that is UNT these days. That's always good for a laugh.

• Upvote 1

It wasn't me that said it might not be on 10/31...go ask the guy who posted it...quote his post and maybe he can fill you in.

Or, do us another long list of what you think is wrong with everything that is UNT these days. That's always good for a laugh.

The guy, that's me. You guys act like you can't scroll half way up a page to find information, both of you.

But yeah, I saw a schedule both on my friend's Facebook page, courtesy of Rice football's Facebook page, and a schedule of our's online that both said 11/2 on them. I wanted to see if you guys were 100% sure that the game was going to be on Halloween.

Edited by BillySee58

so get over your outrage.

thank you so much for being the voice of reason and subduing my anger.

sadly, i was under the impression that most people on this board kept up with muser humor. I was wrong and would first and foremost like to apologize to all north texas fans and their loved ones.

unfortunately, yesterday during my rampage i also put my wife on notice for making biscuits instead of delicious tamale-corn (as I requested) for my dinner side, one of my dogs went on notice for chewing on some pipe insulation in my back yard, and Famke Janssen is now on notice for not quite delivering the same effect in my pants during Taken 2 as she did during her Rounders-Xmen days.

• Upvote 1

thank you so much for being the voice of reason and subduing my anger.

sadly, i was under the impression that most people on this board kept up with muser humor. I was wrong and would first and foremost like to apologize to all north texas fans and their loved ones.

unfortunately, yesterday during my rampage i also put my wife on notice for making biscuits instead of delicious tamale-corn (as I requested) for my dinner side, one of my dogs went on notice for chewing on some pipe insulation in my back yard, and Famke Janssen is now on notice for not quite delivering the same effect in my pants during Taken 2 as she did during her Rounders-Xmen days.

You sound like a wise and seasoned gentleman. I have a question with something I am struggling with myself. After putting someone on notice and they don't get back in line, what is the next step? Also, is the 1st notice written or verbal?

My gf just served my pancakes with reduced calorie maple syrup so I am eagerly awaiting your reply:)

• Upvote 1

GreenMachine, on 24 Feb 2013 - 11:33, said:

My gf just served my pancakes with reduced calorie maple syrup so I am eagerly awaiting your reply:)

In today's modern world of relationships, the only logical response is to purchase her a diamond necklace and sign the remainder of your bank account, along with equity in your house, over to her immediately in gratitude for her caring gesture toward your good health.

Love that it is on television.

Hate that it is on a Thursday

Don't like it being on Halloween but that is a CUSA decision.

Won't be able to make it, not because of Halloween but because of Thursday.

Rice fans won't be able to make the trip.

Hope the students show up.

You sound like a wise and seasoned gentleman. I have a question with something I am struggling with myself. After putting someone on notice and they don't get back in line, what is the next step? Also, is the 1st notice written or verbal?

as a professional gentleman of leisure, i always begin the notice in writing... for no other reason than to prevent a tedious conversation. When it comes to verbal exchanges, less is more.

I haven't experienced anyone not getting back in line yet, but if they refused, i would most likely "take action" and "correct" them.

you have my most sincere condolences regarding the anguish you encountered during breakfast.

• Upvote 1

We wanted an upgrade in conference so we must wear our big boy pants and show up in decent numbers. Hopefully, there's not a large percentage of alumni with small children that must stay home for trick or treating. Let's sacrifice a little for national television. A good crowd and a good rating could help future contract negotiations. Good Lord willing, I'll be there with 1-3 others.

• Upvote 2

Cue the arguments over the next six month over who the real fans are based on weekday attendance.

If the "real fans" make sure their tickets are used, thereby "replacing themselves", are the replacement fans granted automatic "real fan" status or are the "real fans" who "replaced themselves" deemed to be even "realer" fans because they made sure their tickets were used? I endeavor in my life to " keep it real" and any opportunity to be even "realer" is embraced with open arms.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

If the "real fans" make sure their tickets are used, thereby "replacing themselves", are the replacement fans granted automatic "real fan" status or are the "real fans" who "replaced themselves" deemed to be even "realer" fans because they made sure their tickets were used? I endeavor in my life to " keep it real" and any opportunity to be even "realer" is embraced with open arms.

Just be careful, because there are some cases when keeping it real goes wrong (Chappelle show reference).

• Upvote 3