Big East TV Deal

shaft

TV deal won't be better and BCS bowl prospects the same. They are just using the Old Big East as a shell to give them a perception advantage for their donors and recruiting. Key for new CUSA is to win on the field and keep developing facilities and attendance.

Sure C-USA loses some schools but the Big East implosion helps to offset the losses. SMU no longer has Big East basketball to recruit to and the name change will take some time to become familiar.

With the Big East value dropping Tulsa can afford to wait and see what the new CUSA deal is going to be before they make thier move.

The article says the 12th spot in the Big East is between Tulsa and UMass. I still think Army would make sense.

there is no new CUSA TV deal the CUSA TV deal is already brand new and goes to 2015-16 and no other conference including the SEC has been able to renegotiate an existing TV deal because of changes in conference makeup

the Big 12 was the only one that came close and that was because their tier 1 deal was set to expire i a year or two and ESPN decided to go ahead and make a deal now rather than wait

the CUSA will not be breaking a deal that just started last year and goes for several more years because the networks don't have to do that and they don't have to pay more money and there is no reason for them to do so period

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Supposedly the money support considers Tulsa a basketball school. Re Shaft's division alignment, I've seen that the western division might add Cincinnati rather than UCF. If so, playing in a basketball division with Cincinnati and Memphis would seem awesome to them. To me, I don't think that they'll win a division title more than once a blue moon (unless Cincy moves to another conference). Is it worth the added travel expense?

Added thought...the eastern division would only have five teams: Connecticut, Temple, East Carolina, UCF and South Florida. Would they consider adding another eastern team for all sports except football? If so, would that not be another slice of the payout to divide? Would ESPN up the ante a bit?

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 2

Big Fish in a Little Pond or...you know the rest.

In football Tulsa would finish higher most Falls in CUSA than it would in the Big East (IMHO), but like GrayEagle posted it will probably be the basketball connection that makes them want to change conference addresses.

For less than or close to $2 million per year Big East TV rights I'd bet 2 or 3 schools wish they hadn't jumped the gun so fast. Non revenue men and women's sports teams from schools who jumped ship to the new B.E. are going to get a bit expensive in the travel expenditures part of all their respective school's athletic budgets.

For our Greatest Generation an oldie from the past...(and remember when albums back in that day merely had slide-on paper jackets)? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIwQ3sJQO1A

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1