Avery Fortenberry - OL - Era

Keith7

I didn't see a topic started about him so I thought I'd start one.

I talked to Era coach Jason Fanning today about OL Avery Fortenberry. Fanning said that Fortenberry will be signing with UNT on Wednesday.

He's the younger brother of Aaron Fortenberry. He stands 6-5, 250 and has room to grow. He was an all-county, all-district player as you imagine for Class 1A Era.

I'll try to post more info about him when I get it.

• Upvote 1

Anyone know how many "preferred walkons" we are going after?

I have no problems with them loading up on DFW kids as "preferred walkons" and it seems like so far that is the plan. The more local kids that do well an excel the greater chance we can get more of the local well known talent to stay.

Walk-ons still sign letters of intent in these preferred walk-on cases.

For what? The LOI binds the institution financially . . . and even a preferred walk-on is not guaranteed anything financial. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure it's strictly prohibited for any walk-on to sign an LOI.

I can only assume that some Universities have an official 'looking' form so the recruits get to 'sign' something to get the same feeling of commitment as the other players, but they most definitely do not sign an official NCAA LOI if they are a walkon.

That's what I'm thinking. It's for the experience, not for the financial obligation.

What are the perks of a walkon? Do they get room and board? Just meals? or nothing at all?

The most important perk of being a UNT walk on is the honor and privilege of being on the Mean Green football team. If you are a walk on in the top 105 players you report with the rest of the team for the start of fall camp in early August. If you are in the 106 - 120 group then you report to the team around when school starts in the fall semester. You do not get room and board or meals as a walk on except during August fall camp before school starts. You do have access though to the athletic study hall and tutors during the school year if you are a walk on.

• Upvote 2

no real prospect of playing.

Not always the case....over the last six years these walk ons have seen considerable playing time and most if not all later on earned 'ships:

Trent Deans, Troy Kokjohn, Chase Baine, Greg Brown, Weston Squier, Aaron Fortenberry, Nic Summerfield, Drew Miller, Tanner Smith, Jeremy Bown and Ivan Delgado.

Not always the case....over the last six years these walk ons have seen considerable playing time and most if not all later on earned 'ships:

Trent Deans, Troy Kokjohn, Chase Baine, Greg Brown, Weston Squier, Aaron Fortenberry, Nic Summerfield, Drew Miller, Tanner Smith, Jeremy Bown and Ivan Delgado.

You only have to go back one more year, and you can add Casey Fitzgerald to the list.

• Upvote 2

Yes, walkons have a great opportunity at UNT. These guys were usually studs in high school too.

There really isn't much of a difference between a guy UNT gets who only had one other offer or none, and these guys who walk on.

I think Avery will be a solid player just like his brother and your son Troy.

The most important perk of being a UNT walk on is the honor and privilege of being on the Mean Green football team. If you are a walk on in the top 105 players you report with the rest of the team for the start of fall camp in early August. If you are in the 106 - 120 group then you report to the team around when school starts in the fall semester. You do not get room and board or meals as a walk on except during August fall camp before school starts. You do have access though to the athletic study hall and tutors during the school year if you are a walk on.

Any difference for a preferred walk on ? What is the plus for a grey shirt? Can he practice with the team?

Any difference for a preferred walk on ? What is the plus for a grey shirt? Can he practice with the team?

The process to get on the team is different for a walk on compared to a preferred walk on......Once on the team there is not much difference between a preferred walk on and a walk on except the preferred walk on is usually initially in the top 105 whereas the walk on tends to be initially in the 106 to 120 group.

A preferred walk on is invited to be on the team by a coach before he enrolls in school. Once he is accepted into the school he is considered to be a part of the team for upcoming season.. A walk on is someone who is already enrolled in school and tries out to make the team after school starts. In the past the walk on tryouts at UNT have been in either September or in February or both months.

A plus for a grey shirt is that he gets an opportunity to be a student only first and to possibly allow him to better aclimate himself to academics without having the pressure to be a student athlete in his first semester of school. A grey shirt does not practice with the team until after the first semester.

Edited by Green59
  • Upvote 3

The process to get on the team is different for a walk on compared to a preferred walk on......Once on the team there is not much difference between a preferred walk on and a walk on except the preferred walk on is usually initially in the top 105 whereas the walk on tends to be initially in the 105 to 120 group.

A preferred walk on is invited to be on the team by a coach before he enrolls in school. Once he is accepted into the school he is considered to be a part of the team for upcoming season.. A walk on is someone who is already enrolled in school and tries out to make the team after school starts. In the past the walk on tryouts at UNT have been in either September or in February or both months.

A plus for a grey shirt is that he gets an opportunity to be a student only first and to possibly allow him to better aclimate himself to academics without having the pressure to be a student athlete in his first semester of school. A grey shirt does not practice with the team until after the first semester.

Thanks for the clarification. That is good information and I agree about the grey shirts.

The process to get on the team is different for a walk on compared to a preferred walk on......Once on the team there is not much difference between a preferred walk on and a walk on except the preferred walk on is usually initially in the top 105 whereas the walk on tends to be initially in the 106 to 120 group.

Thanks so much for the quality input. Seems you have some real insight that others here do not have. Great stuff. Thanks for this. I really appreciated seeing that list of walk-ons you provided. Those guys made it because they earned it! Well done all.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1