Avery Fortenberry - OL - Era

Keith7

The process to get on the team is different for a walk on compared to a preferred walk on......Once on the team there is not much difference between a preferred walk on and a walk on except the preferred walk on is usually initially in the top 105 whereas the walk on tends to be initially in the 106 to 120 group.

A preferred walk on is invited to be on the team by a coach before he enrolls in school. Once he is accepted into the school he is considered to be a part of the team for upcoming season.. A walk on is someone who is already enrolled in school and tries out to make the team after school starts. In the past the walk on tryouts at UNT have been in either September or in February or both months.

A plus for a grey shirt is that he gets an opportunity to be a student only first and to possibly allow him to better aclimate himself to academics without having the pressure to be a student athlete in his first semester of school. A grey shirt does not practice with the team until after the first semester.

Thank you .... It's complicated baby it's complicated! GMG

They also can take a redshirt after their gray shirt, which allows for them to eventually become a sixth-year senior.

Don't think so. 5 to play 4 regardless of whether you have a scholly or not., medical redshirt non-withstanding.

Your time starts the day you enroll. Now, if the kid doesn't enroll until January and completely skips the fall semester, he would have 4 to play 5 starting that January.

Clear as mud?

Edited by UNT90

Don't think so. 5 to play 4 regardless of whether you have a scholly or not., medical redshirt non-withstanding.

Your time starts the day you enroll. Now, if the kid doesn't enroll until January and completely skips the fall semester, he would have 4 to play 5 starting that January.

Clear as mud?

They don't enroll as a full-time student until January, so it starts then.

To be honest, I am not quite 100% sure, but pretty darn close. Over 90%.

http://recruiting-101.com/what-is-a-grayshirt-scholarship-offer/

This explains it a little better, but yes, a gray shirt can also redshirt the next year, then play four years.

Still 5 to play 4, just starts in January.

I do wonder about taking JUCO hours in the fall semester before you enroll at Grayshirt U. I'm not sure the author has that right, but I do know that the moment you enroll at Grayshirt U, the clock starts a tickin'.

Since the grey-shirted athlete was only in school part-time, his 5 year “window” has not started yet. It will begin when he is officially a full-time student. That player can then also “red-shirt” if needed, so they could possibly be on campus for 6 years to play 4 seasons.

http://cardinalsportszone.com/2012/01/31/red-shirt-grey-shirt-what-do-they-mean/

• Upvote 1

Still 5 to play 4, just starts in January.

I do wonder about taking JUCO hours in the fall semester before you enroll at Grayshirt U. I'm not sure the author has that right, but I do know that the moment you enroll at Grayshirt U, the clock starts a tickin'.

Yes, just like a told you when you didn't believe me.

Yeah, I think the particulars of that article might be a little outdated, but as long as you aren't a full time student it doesn't matter where you go that first semester as long as you are a part time student and not in contact with the team,

Thank you for clarifying footballmommy!

Yes, just like a told you when you didn't believe me.

Yeah, I think the particulars of that article might be a little outdated, but as long as you aren't a full time student it doesn't matter where you go that first semester as long as you are a part time student and not in contact with the team,

Thank you for clarifying footballmommy!

Well no, smarty pants, you said that they could be enrolled at UNT part time before the January semester. You also said that their is a magical 6th year. There isn't. 5 to play 4 from the moment they enroll in January.

And, yes, thanks football mommy for clearing up the JC rules.

Edited by UNT90

Well no, smarty pants, you said that they could be enrolled at UNT part time before the January semester. You also said that their is a magical 6th year. There isn't. 5 to play 4 from the moment they enroll in January.

And, yes, thanks basketball mommy for clearing up the JC rules.

Haha, my bad. Didn't realize how snark that sounded until just now.

It's not a magical 6th year, I just look at it by years out of high school, which would be six for a gray shirts who then redshirts, then plays four years. That's just the way I look at it. Probably should've been more clear.

• 11 months later...

I know it's not NT, but Thomas Howard - a LB for the Raiders (I think he starts) - started his career as a walk-on safety in El Paso.

He was a great story and amazing to watch. Very fast.

He wasn't on the raiders the last few years, forgot why (maybe cut), but he did start for them for a whole. Yeah he was a good player, unfortunately he tragically passed away a couple months ago. Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1