Next Year

untjim1995

I truly believe that Benford will be the coach & Mitchell will leave, even if he's a later pick in the draft. I know we will have some talent back, but I just can't see anything above a Trilli-esque 7-8 wins next year. Maybe I'm wrong, though, and you folks (Skiver/Andrew) that say the team is the main problem, not the coach, next year should tell us as much. There's absolutely no way that Benford gets fired, though. Way too much dough for that extra four years to be covered by this university and then pay for someone else. In wish differently, but I just don't see it. We kept Dodge in football for an extra season because we couldn't/wouldn't buy out an extra year of his contract. And that was out main money sport...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

An acquaintance of mine's son is an NBA scout, who says no way Mitchell gets drafted. How do you not score a point in a Sunbelt game? He is good athletic, more of a slasher, and not a good shooter. Bedford doesn't know what to do with him,playing him out of position as a center. Only way he has a shot at NBA is if he does well at combine before next years draft. I'm just the messenger.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

He'll be drafted. They draft on potential. Sometimes I almost think they prefer a kind who is a wondrous talent but is very rough - because they get to mold them into want they want.

Mitchell needs to start watching a lot of tape on how Rodman made a career with the way he plays offensively... that's how i see him in the NBA

Does anybody know if he was mentioned in Fran's latest top 25 on ESPN Insider? I saw Chad Ford's that put him at 21.

Tony is not listed in Fran's Top 25 list of college basketball players. Fran actually dropped 12 other guys this week that had appeared previously. Moving up the chart, however, (#11) is Marcus Smart of Flower Mound Marcus (OSU). Despite what the scouts have said, I've never felt that Tony was NBA material. (At least not at this point) Being drafted and making a roster are two separate things. I was blasted for my opinion last year.

I am certainly not in Tony's circle but I would not be shocked if he returns next year as he will not make an NBA roster next year. Money in Europe and the D league will always be there for him; whenever his eligibility is up. He just needs to decide if he enjoys school or playing on this team for this coach. I hope, for his sake, that he seriously considers another year of college. This may sound strange but I actually believe that our team will be better without him. Not that he is a bad player but because the coaching staff doesn't know what to do with him which hurts the overall team and chemistry. Tony has played out of position (point forward) from day one and his confidence is shot.

Edited by Cooley
  • Upvote 4

An acquaintance of mine's son is an NBA scout, who says no way Mitchell gets drafted.

That's pretty absurd.

Mitchell's like 6'9" 235--almost 7'6" wingspan--40-inch vertical--athleticism completely off the charts.

With those measurements he would get drafted if he'd never even played the game before, much less dominated at the Lebron camp. I would guess that when April gets here his time at UNT will be an afterthought for the majority of NBA scouts.

Does everyone forget that Bismack Biyombo went something like 6th-8th overall while he couldn't run and chew gum at the same time? Tony will definitely get his opportunity in the league. Whether or not he does anything with said opportunity remains to be seen.

Edited by Gibbz
  • Upvote 3

That's pretty absurd.

Mitchell's like 6'9" 235--almost 7'6" wingspan--40-inch vertical--athleticism completely off the charts.

With those measurements he would get drafted if he'd never even played the game before, much less dominated at the Lebron camp. I would guess that when April gets here his time at UNT will be an afterthought for the majority of NBA scouts.

Does everyone forget that Bismack Biyombo went something like 6th-8th overall while he couldn't run and chew gum at the same time? Tony will definitely get his opportunity in the league. Whether or not he does anything with said opportunity remains to be seen.

I guess you are right. It's pretty absurd coming from someone who makes a living scouting college players vs. someone like you who.......

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I guess you are right. It's pretty absurd coming from someone who makes a living scouting college players vs. someone like you who.......

If the guy really is a NBA scout then I sincerely doubt he was implying that Mitchell will go undrafted--if those indeed are his exact sentiments then he's a moron. Some basketball projects are beyond horrid at the time they're drafted. It's stupid to think Mitchell could go entirely undrafted.

Edited by Gibbz
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If the guy really is a NBA scout then I sincerely doubt he was implying that Mitchell will go undrafted--if those indeed are his exact sentiments then he's a moron. Some basketball projects are beyond horrid at the time they're drafted. It's stupid to think Mitchell could go entirely undrafted.

Gee, I really do hope you are right,as we have only had one basketball player in history who was drafted [in 2nd round but didn't,make the grade]" Absurb,moron,stupid "seems a little harsh, but then again I don't claim to be a basketball expert and was just passing along information that I thought might be of interest.[ And he really is an NBA scout.] On another note, I went to pre NIT and the shuttle driver took a Denver scout who had flown in specifically to see Mitchell play and ,according to the driver, he said the same thing , that he sees him in college next year,not the NBA. I personally hope nothing but the best for Mitchell, but you seem like a real jerk.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1