MWC in talks with Tulsa

Harry

While San Diego State still gets the first chance to remain in the Mountain West by Jan. 31, but that does not mean that Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson is burning through his long distance minutes contacting other schools to join the league.

Earlier on Monday, it was being reporter that the SMU Mustangs are not interested in joining the Mountain West, and if that is the case than adding the Houston Cougars seems like a far fetched option. It would make sense for both Houston and come as packaged dell, well that is unless Tulsa, or even Texas-San Antonio, join the league.

UTSA was mentioned as a possibility since they are in Texas, and actually have drawn well in their infant years as a FBS program. However, InsiderRunnerSports.com is reporting that UTSA has not been in contact with the Mountain West, but Tulsa has (via ESPN Insider):

"A source was able to confirm that the Mountain West has not been in recent conversation with UTSA for expansion and, this time around, it would be very unlikely an invitation for membership would be extended," InsideRunnerSports.com reported.

"Multiple sources have confirmed to IRS that discussions between Tulsa and the Mountain West are ongoing, but preferred not to make any further information public."

UTSA is too much of a risk for the Mountain West to take a chance on, even though they are in a large market San Antonio, but it just doesn't seem to fit. The only way that UTSA could be considered is if Houston is involved as a travel partner.

Read more: http://www.mwcconnection.com/2013/1/8/3849464/mountain-west-expansion-tulsa-ut-san-antonio

Every time we draw a good crowd we lay an egg--ULaLa national tv game was the one exception. Perception is everything and to the rest of the world we remain a small, commuter school in a rural town that shows no interest in football in particular and the universities in general. We are viewed as a party, pot head school whose only fame is from horn tooters and teachers. We can only change this perception with winning seasons and a signature like ULM vs. ARK & AL.

• Upvote 2

Every time we draw a good crowd we lay an egg--ULaLa national tv game was the one exception. Perception is everything and to the rest of the world we remain a small, commuter school in a rural town that shows no interest in football in particular and the universities in general. We are viewed as a party, pot head school whose only fame is from horn tooters and teachers. We can only change this perception with winning seasons and a signature like ULM vs. ARK & AL.

Well said. Sad, but true.

Although, winning more than us hasn't helped Arkansas State. And, us losing all these seasons in a row did get us into (the now crumbling) C-USA.

I used to think it was all about winning. Now, I know better. It's not even worth discussing anymore.

Tulsa has been in talks with MWC before. For whatever reason, old money at TU likes basketball and MWC delivers that in spades over CUSA or New Nig East.

That MWC football has done well in recent years is like a cherry on top. My brother and I dove up to the Boise State - Tulsa game back in 2009. The place was packed, rocking, and the game - a 28-21 Boise State win - was a good one.

Tulsa has winning football, some basketball history, revamped facilities (although, not as good as ours...by a long shot), and an administration who jumped on board fully 10 years ago after not giving it much thought.

We've got none of that. Our time to strike while the iron was hot was during the midst of our bowl run. Problem then, our AD and head coach wanted to fight, our administration wasn't fully on board, and we weren't getting much out of basketball to sweeten the pot.

So...two conferences chase Tulsa and its current conference wants it to stay. They are without an athletic director, but it seems their new president isn't waiting for dominoes to fall.

I hope Tulsa stays in the C-USA with us. They are trying their best to get out. If they do, we'll likely be looking at another Sun Belt school joining us in the C-USA.

At that point, I really don't see why Banowksy would keep up the charade. C-USA will surely lose bowl tie-ins because of the defections, and the conference will be a hodge podge of former Sun Belt teams and newly devised FBS programs. He and Benson should then just hash out a geographically sensible conference. Neither will have any clout to get a better television contract.

• Upvote 1

Marsall,So.Miss, and UAB must think"what the hell!"Looks like new CUSA will be a blend of the WAC,BELT,these 3 left behind,plus ODU and UNCC.Lonnie Finch is right. The Belt and CUSA should probably either merge,or put all the names in the hat and come up with two conferences that makes geographical sense. Wonder if Marshall is looking at the MAC?

We should be on the phones with Tulsa and the MWC.

Just imagine of this had been the special basketball season that was so anticipated. Maybe we would have been mentioned in that article or already have been contacted by the MWC if basketball was making a splash.

Benford was a killer on so many fronts.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I would not want to be in a conference where we are the furthest east team, with a different time zone.

Give me regional competition with some regional name recognition! La Tech, Rice , UTSA and UTEP better than what we had !!

The biggest threat is the new big least. The Florida and Texas schools do not want any more in state additions !

• Upvote 1

I would not want to be in a conference where we are the furthest east team, with a different time zone.

Give me regional competition with some regional name recognition! La Tech, Rice , UTSA and UTEP better than what we had !!

The biggest threat is the new big least. The Florida and Texas schools do not want any more in state additions !

UTEP is Mountain, not Central, Time Zone.

Marsall,So.Miss, and UAB must think"what the hell!"Looks like new CUSA will be a blend of the WAC,BELT,these 3 left behind,plus ODU and UNCC.Lonnie Finch is right. The Belt and CUSA should probably either merge,or put all the names in the hat and come up with two conferences that makes geographical sense. Wonder if Marshall is looking at the MAC?

Surely Marshall could get back into the MAC. MAC lost Temple, but gained UMass. That gives them the weird 7 in one division and 6 in the other. Marshall could even that out by going back to their old conference.

Question will be, what is the future TV contract of New C-USA versus MAC?

Tulsa, UH, UTEP, and UNT to the MWC please.

It would add a solid footprint in Texas and Oklahoma for the MWC for recruiting, adds some good markets to MWC, and make for good regional rivalries with (mostly) similar universities.

I really hope that RV is in talks with UH and Tulsa trying to form partnerships for package deals somewhere.

• Upvote 2