FAU answer coming soon

Harry

Florida Atlantic should know by the end of the month whether it will become a member of Conference USA for competition in the fall of 2013 or will have to wait until 2014.

Conference USA will hold its annual winter in Miami beginning on January 22, followed by a conference call with the Board of Trustees on January 24.

At that point Conference USA will need to finalize the schedules for the 2013 fall sports, including football.

"We're planning on being a 14-team league, but it definitely could be a 16 team league if MTSU and FAU want to join for next year," Assistant Commissioner for Public Affairs Courtney Morrison Archer said.

FAU officials say they are still trying to determine whether the move to Conference USA in 2013 is the right move.

"We're talking about it. We're definitely talking about it," FAU President Mary Jane Saunders said.

Saunders and C-USA Commissioner Britton Banowsky will likely have face-to-face conversations about the timeline next week. Banowsky has scheduled visit to the Boca Raton campus, Saunders said.

In late November, Conference USA accepted FAU's application to join the league for the 2014 season, but left open the possibility that the Owls could join the conference a year sooner.

Read more: http://www.fauowlaccess.com/articles/104/fau-will-learn-soon-if-move-to-c-usa-in-2013-will-happen.aspx

I hope they don't come to CUSA...that gives us a better chance to get a better school. I hope they're not holding out on a better offer from another conference.

The way I read it, is not whether they will join or not, but whether it will be 2013 or 2014.

• Upvote 2

5 million people in a three county area (Palm Beach, Dade, and Broward counties). An area so rich in Boca Raton and Palm Beach and down to South Beach that it is known as the Gold Coast. Pro players like Morris leading rusher in Redskins history from FAU and also in the pros T.Y.Hilton from FIU. Also look at the records and we have not exactly dominated either of these teams. FAU's new stadium is just as nice as ours with more luxuary suites. This board continues to downgrade the FL C-USA schools when they are actually showing much more potential than UNT. The negative talk in this thread just makes those with delusions of NT granduer look stupid.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

5 million people in a three county area (Palm Beach, Dade, and Broward counties). An area so rich in Boca Raton and Palm Beach and down to South Beach that it is known as the Gold Coast. Pro players like Morris leading rusher in Redskins history from FAU and also in the pros T.Y.Hilton from FIU. Also look at the records and we have not exactly dominated either of these teams. FAU's new stadium is just as nice as ours with more luxuary suites. This board continues to downgrade the FL C-USA schools when they are actually showing much more potential than UNT. The negative talk in this thread just makes those with delusions of NT granduer look stupid.

I don't think it's so much about how we hate them or don't think they are good competition. It's more about that we didn't want the CUSA to turn into the Sun Belt 2.0

I think it just wears on people that 15 years ago neither school even had a football program, and now they are our equal...if not more.

The only thing confusing to me about any of it is FIU firing Cristobal, then not hiring Butch Davis.

I don't think it's so much about how we hate them or don't think they are good competition. It's more about that we didn't want the CUSA to turn into the Sun Belt 2.0

I certainly don't believe we have shown ourselves to be superior to FAU or FIU. . . . I just don't want to be in a conference with them.