Arkansas Little Rock (1/10/13)

CMJ

Wow...just wow! I know UALR tends to hold team scoring down, but how does a team just stop scoring in the final quarter of a game? That is two games in a row where these guys just forgot how to shoot at the end. Man, how do these things keep happening?

Most over hyped UNT team in all my history with the program. Expectations obviously set way too high, but that doesn't make it suck any less. Really feel bad for the team. I know they go out wanting and expecting to win. This must be even tougher on the payers and coaches as it is on the fans. Man, UNT needs some shooting and a win or two ASAP!

I'll be there've Saturday for the S Ala game.....hoping that the team breaks out of this funk and gets the W. Hope to see you there!

I am not sure they expect to win anymore. I know I don't expect them to.

• Upvote 1

Wow...just wow! I know UALR tends to hold team scoring down, but how does a team just stop scoring in the final quarter of a game? That is two games in a row where these guys just forgot how to shoot at the end. Man, how do these things keep happening?

Most over hyped UNT team in all my history with the program. Expectations obviously set way too high, but that doesn't make it suck any less. Really feel bad for the team. I know they go out wanting and expecting to win. This must be even tougher on the payers and coaches as it is on the fans. Man, UNT needs some shooting and a win or two ASAP!

I'll be there've Saturday for the S Ala game.....hoping that the team breaks out of this funk and gets the W. Hope to see you there!

This team folds down the stretch. It has in every close game. Direct reflection on the head coach.

• Upvote 1

When you get 8 assists, 1 steal, and 17 turnovers as a team, can you possibly even be trying to win the game? Sounds like a team that is simply going through the motions and trying to get it all over with. Quite a drop when you go from the expectation of being one of the best teams in the country to the worst team in the SBC.

This team folds down the stretch. It has in every close game. Direct reflection on the head coach.

Or, perhaps the mindset of some of the players. If it is all 100% the coaching, then why is UNT leading these games early...ever? Why are they in it until stretch time? I am not trying to argue for or against your position regarding Coach Benford, just asking why a team with this many "star HS players" cannot, as a team of...as one person posted..."this caliber" step up down the stretch? You think the Michael Jordan's of the world did not know when and how to put a team on their back when needed and all but through single handed determination and grit take over? I see one guy who gets any starting minutes at all trying to be that guy. IF...and right now it is a big if...these guys collectively are such good ballplayers (and not always does HS success translate into D1 college ball success...we all know that) how can they collectively just fold their tents and go home down the stretch in these games?

I know you know much more about BB than I ever will...admittedly so...so....why is this the case with this team?

And, before anyone goes there...I am not absolving Benford of responsibility, but neither am I...like several here seem to want to do...absolving the players. And, BTW, my bride and I will be on hand to see if the Mean green can beat So. Alabama Saturday....no quit here!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Or, perhaps the mindset of some of the players. If it is all 100% the coaching, then why is UNT leading these games early...ever? Why are they in it until stretch time? I am not trying to argue for or against your position regarding Coach Benford, just asking why a team with this many "star HS players" cannot, as a team of...as one person posted..."this caliber" step up down the stretch? You think the Michael Jordan's of the world did not know when and how to put a team on their back when needed and all but through single handed determination and grit take over? I see one guy who gets any starting minutes at all trying to be that guy. IF...and right now it is a big if...these guys collectively are such good ballplayers (and not always does HS success translate into D1 college ball success...we all know that) how can they collectively just fold their tents and go home down the stretch in these !

Give a decent coach a half to look at the ill fitting system Benford is forcing on this roster and it's easily shut down.

Or, perhaps the mindset of some of the players. If it is all 100% the coaching, then why is UNT leading these games early...ever? Why are they in it until stretch time? I am not trying to argue for or against your position regarding Coach Benford, just asking why a team with this many "star HS players" cannot, as a team of...as one person posted..."this caliber" step up down the stretch? You think the Michael Jordan's of the world did not know when and how to put a team on their back when needed and all but through single handed determination and grit take over? I see one guy who gets any starting minutes at all trying to be that guy. IF...and right now it is a big if...these guys collectively are such good ballplayers (and not always does HS success translate into D1 college ball success...we all know that) how can they collectively just fold their tents and go home down the stretch in these games?

I know you know much more about BB than I ever will...admittedly so...so....why is this the case with this team?

And, before anyone goes there...I am not absolving Benford of responsibility, but neither am I...like several here seem to want to do...absolving the players. And, BTW, my bride and I will be on hand to see if the Mean green can beat So. Alabama Saturday....no quit here!

Bless your heart Kram... You're trying so hard. I know you WANT this thing to work, but don't you find it a little interesting that the same players return from last year, and team play regresses this horribly?

Step in the GMG.com time machine if you will. Look back to 4 months ago. Were you excited about this team? Why? I bet I can answer for you: Our All-American was returning, a year older & a year wiser. He also went to NBA camps and excelled there. On top of this, we return a fantastic core of great players, and are assured grades will not be a problem (and they haven't been). We bring in a heralded recruit to fill the big-man role vacated by Hogans. National basketball writers are buzzing about our team... not just GMG.com people & Vito. The ONLY VARIABLE??? Coach Tony Benford. Because, after all, we've SEEN all of the players (sans Coleman & Hardwick), and know what they bring to the table. Do some of them have weaknesses? Sure! Do their strengths exceed their weaknesses? Absolutely... because we've SEEN it.

Fast-forward to today and step out of the GMG.com time machine. These same players are displaying drastic regression from last year. Our record is abysmal and coach Benford has all but lost the team (if he hasn't yet).

I refuse to believe that all of these players simply forgot how to hit a jumper or how to penetrate the lane. Because I've SEEN them do it.

Are you telling me/us that you believe all of the players' level of play regressed over a span of 8 months, and the addition of coach Benford has only a minimal impact on this?

• Upvote 3

Bless your heart Kram... You're trying so hard. I know you WANT this thing to work, but don't you find it a little interesting that the same players return from last year, and team play regresses this horribly?

Step in the GMG.com time machine if you will. Look back to 4 months ago. Were you excited about this team? Why? I bet I can answer for you: Our All-American was returning, a year older & a year wiser. He also went to NBA camps and excelled there. On top of this, we return a fantastic core of great players, and are assured grades will not be a problem (and they haven't been). We bring in a heralded recruit to fill the big-man role vacated by Hogans. National basketball writers are buzzing about our team... not just GMG.com people & Vito. The ONLY VARIABLE??? Coach Tony Benford. Because, after all, we've SEEN all of the players (sans Coleman & Hardwick), and know what they bring to the table. Do some of them have weaknesses? Sure! Do their strengths exceed their weaknesses? Absolutely... because we've SEEN it.

Fast-forward to today and step out of the GMG.com time machine. These same players are displaying drastic regression from last year. Our record is abysmal and coach Benford has all but lost the team (if he hasn't yet).

I refuse to believe that all of these players simply forgot how to hit a jumper or how to penetrate the lane. Because I've SEEN them do it.

Are you telling me/us that you believe all of the players' level of play regressed over a span of 8 months, and the addition of coach Benford has only a minimal impact on this?

This is a good post. My response is that the shooting from this team is beyond terrible. I have heard from people that have attended practices that they do practice shooting and actually shoot well. This has not translated to the games at all. The coaches don't shoot. Yes, they are supposed to prepare the players and get them game ready. Several times this year it appears this has not happened. The players on the court are the ones struggling to make baskets. The players need to find a leader among themselves to take charge during the game. I have not seen anyone really do this, save Roger at times.

This season is such a disappointment so far. I really hope something breaks UNT's way and we get on a roll. We'll be there Saturday for both games to cheer them on regardless

• Upvote 1

This is a good post. My response is that the shooting from this team is beyond terrible. I have heard from people that have attended practices that they do practice shooting and actually shoot well. This has not translated to the games at all. The coaches don't shoot. Yes, they are supposed to prepare the players and get them game ready. Several times this year it appears this has not happened. The players on the court are the ones struggling to make baskets. The players need to find a leader among themselves to take charge during the game. I have not seen anyone really do this, save Roger at times.

This season is such a disappointment so far. I really hope something breaks UNT's way and we get on a roll. We'll be there Saturday for both games to cheer them on regardless

If the players aren't playing in a system that is consistently giving them good looks or getting the ball in the hands of people in spots where they can succeed, then making shots is going to be incredibly difficult...no matter how good they look shooting open jumpers in practice.

Here is the deal. We all agree these players are very talented. Would they have struggled shooting the ball under another coach? Quite possibly.

BUT, and this is huge with this team, defense and rebound is all about effort. Both areas have been pathetic this year. Remember, these are areas that Benford said were his and his staff's focus coming into this season. So, either Benford's system has completely F'ed up this team both defensively and on the boards or the players just aren't putting forth the effort and don't care about winning and losing.

And I'm going to yell this because its important: EITHER WAY, THIS IS THE COMPLETE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE HEAD COACH. If you can't motivate your players to give a damn about winning and losing, that is on you as a coach. If the players don't understand your system, that is on you as a coach. If the players are 4 months into your system and still can't figure out how to rotate on defense, that is on you as a head coach.

As you know, I had basketball smart company with me Saturday night. Very impressed with the women's coach. Was shocked at the fact that, even though we had better athletes, we were completely out coached by a terrible ULM. Lack of movement on offense and lack of desire on defense and rebounding were his main observations.

But now Benford can blame injuries, and we will have to go through another 10 or less win season next year that will destroy this program.

Also, watch for mass transfers at year end.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

We were a bad shooting team last year. We stayed in games and won our fair share by playing defense and rebounding.

This should be a better defensive and rebounding team than last year. It is far, far, far, far, far worse. Not getting the best out of your players is a sign of poor coaching, plain and simple.

Here is the deal. We all agree these players are very talented. Would they have struggled shooting the ball under another coach? Quite possibly.

BUT, and this is huge with this team, defense and rebound is all about effort. Both areas have been pathetic this year. Remember, these are areas that Benford said were his and his staff's focus coming into this season. So, either Benford's system has completely F'ed up this team both defensively and on the boards or the players just aren't putting forth the effort and don't care about winning and losing.

And I'm going to yell this because its important: EITHER WAY, THIS IS THE COMPLETE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE HEAD COACH. If you can't motivate your players to give a damn about winning and losing, that is on you as a coach. If the players don't understand your system, that is on you as a coach. If the players are 4 months into your system and still can't figure out how to rotate on defense, that is on you as a head coach.

As you know, I had basketball smart company with me Saturday night. Very impressed with the women's coach. Was shocked at the fact that, even though we had better athletes, we were completely out coached by a terrible ULM. Lack of movement on offense and lack of desire on defense and rebounding were his main observations.

But now Benford can blame injuries, and we will have to go through another 10 or less win season next year that will destroy this program.

So, you are telling me that this group of players has no self-respect and no pride and very little inner character...and no "want to" when it comes to stepping up...even in the face of a coach that you say has no clue. Then, as the end of you post indicates...I hope we do see defections at the end of the year and defections due to not being asked back. IF...and I will yell this as well...WHAT YOU SAY IS TRUE ABOUT THE CHARACTER OF THESE PLAYERS!

I happen to not believe this part about these guys...i think they do have pride, self-respect and character (at some level). What surprises me is that many are not showing it...both on and OFF the court.

As much as folks want to think...think...that I blame only the players, I would say you...and many others...tend to give the players a handy and large pass. Way way too much of a pass.

So, difference of opinion I guess...that's all. We'll both be in our seats Saturday, so we will see which way this team decides to go...as their "decision" to that has a lot to do with how this year finally turns out...and, yes, I believe much of it is a personal DECISION yet to be made.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

:no::cry::no:

I want so badly for this to not be true, and dissuade these guys from leaving, but I could not possibly argue their decisions if they transfer.

I'm honestly now concerned with an already-proven-vagabond TJ Taylor actually playing here as well.

Fortunately, I don't think he has much of a choice since he'll lose more valuable eligibility if he decides to transfer again.

But yes, Jordan & CJ have redshirts to use as they sit out somewhere else, and Coleman may, or may not decide to go through 2 more years of riding pine on this team.

Poor Alzee. He was a freshman when we went to the Tourney in 2010, sat out the next year w/injury, then came back last year and played extremely well. He probably had all kinds of high expectations for this team, and next year will be his senior year (5th yr of eligibility) so he either plays here, or quits, and he doesn't strike me as a quitter.

If I'm PJ, I'm wondering what the heck I signed up for when I could have gone to the SEC.

So, you are telling me that this group of players has no self-respect and no pride and very little inner character...and no "want to" when it comes to stepping up...even in the face of a coach that you say has no clue. Then, as the end of you post indicates...I hope we do see defections at the end of the year and defections due to not being asked back. IF...and I will yell this as well...WHAT YOU SAY IS TRUE ABOUT THE CHARACTER OF THESE PLAYERS!

I happen to not believe this part about these guys...i think they do have pride, self-respect and character (at some level). What surprises me is that many are not showing it...both on and OFF the court.

As much as folks want to think...think...that I blame only the players, I would say you...and many others...tend to give the players a handy and large pass. Way way too much of a pass.

So, difference of opinion I guess...that's all. We'll both be in our seats Saturday, so we will see which way this team decides to go...as their "decision" to that has a lot to do with how this year finally turns out...and, yes, I believe much of it is a personal DECISION yet to be made.

If you want to blame 18-21 year olds, well, I can't stop you, but I promise you that you are as off base on this as you were on Todd Dodge. This is a disaster that will not change with different players, just like Dodge's didn't. This hire has already set this program back, the only question now is how long?

How long will Benford be allowed to continue to coach this team, because for every day he coaches, this program is set back 2 days.

I know you will never criticize Benford publicly, and I understand that, but you really need to stop blaming kids for this disaster that is not their making.

They are kids, after all, and they have parents that read this forum.

Oh, and you are wrong. ;-)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

If you want to blame 18-21 year olds, well, I can't stop you, but I promise you that you are as off base on this as you were on Todd Dodge. This is a disaster that will not change with different players, just like Dodge's didn't. This hire has already set this program back, the only question now is how long?

How long will Benford be allowed to continue to coach this team, because for every day he coaches, this program is set back 2 days.

I know you will never criticize Benford publicly, and I understand that, but you really need to stop blaming kids for this disaster that is not their making.

They are kids, after all, and they have parents that read this forum.

Oh, and you are wrong. ;-)

I think this is an important point.

If you don't believe the problem lies with Benford, or you chose to support him regardless, that does not necessarily mean you must throw the players under the bus... unless you actually believe the players are the root of the problems. Then, by all means, fire away! This is a fan message board.

Otherwise, you could just say nothing... that way you're not criticizing Benford, and you're also not criticizing the players.

At this point, I've gone pass disappointment with the team to just sadness. I still have faint hope that they can have a JJ like run in the tournament, but I doubt NT wins 3 more games this year.

I really think this team is worse than any of Dodges football teams and only slightly above Trilli's lame duck years when he couldn't give scholarships away and had to get great effort to beat non-scholarship teams.

This team right now is just bad and arguing over what factors contribute the most to this disaster is futile. The question is can Benford turn it around and that looks highly doubtful or does a change have to be made. I just hope that NT is pass the point, that they have to live with a bad contract because they can't afford to do anything else.

I view my time and money as an investment, and since the AD won't adress the issue I wont invest much of either until they do. I am not a big time donor or anything but im not getting anything out of Losd aftwr lose. I believe it is time to minimize my investments until something changes aka the coach.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I view my time and money as an investment, and since the AD won't adress the issue I wont invest much of either until they do. I am not a big time donor or anything but im not getting anything out of Losd aftwr lose. I believe it is time to minimize my investments until something changes aka the coach.

So RV didn't answer his phone when you called? Did he not return your call or answer your e-mail? Was he in when you stopped by his office? Unlike us, he is not going to choose a side in public. He can't and I would think you would understand. Oh, a lack of money is a big reason that we can't make changes that many want, so that part of your thinking is spot on. That part sounds like somebody who really cares.

Edited by Green Dozer
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

So RV didn't answer his phone when you called? Did he not return your call or answer your e-mail? Was he in when you stopped by his office? Unlike us, he is not going to choose a side in public. He can't and I would think you would understand. Oh, a lack of money is a big reason that we can't make changes that many want, so that part of your thinking is spot on. That part sounds like somebody who really cares.

I agree. There is no way RV can or should address this publicly. I would lose respect for him if he did. Whatever happens should happen in the privacy of the AD's office.

Sadly, I think you are right about not having the money, but from what I have seen, that will be a 5 year death blow to this basketball program.

I really, really, really, really hope I'm wrong.