Honestly

Dr. Seuss

We got gutted by a team that was without their star player. WITH their star player they got DRILLED by Baylor (22 pts) and Pittsburgh (25 pts). I'm not sayin'...I'm just sayin'.

• Upvote 1

How have some of you older fans been able to follow this program for so long... Ive been following it for 5 years and I fell like my heart has been ripped out and left with nothing.. Tough day today, so much hope and yet its going all down the drain

I love the program, but I absolutely can't stand this coach. I'm amazed at his decisions.

To me, the heart breaking part is watching him demolish the one area of consistent success our athletic department has had in a decade.

How have some of you older fans been able to follow this program for so long... Ive been following it for 5 years and I fell like my heart has been ripped out and left with nothing.. Tough day today, so much hope and yet its going all down the drain

It's our school -- you have a loyalty to a place that helped you get your education and ultimately your career. You see the potential and where it could be. But you're right. It's hard sometimes.

As I've said before, we're like abused spouses who keep coming back for more.

• Upvote 1

Because some of us are able to put college sports in the context and perspective in which it should be placed. It really is pretty simple. It has never ever embarrassed me to support UNT, and it never will. I joke with friends about it who try to make more of it than it really is, I go to games and support the program with my money and my time because I want to and I enjoy doing so. I know my funds go to help some very worthy student athletes and to build facilities the likes of which can make us all proud. Check out the plaques on the press box side of the Super Pit Concourse level sometime and you will see the names of some of us "old timers" who donated to convert the seats in the arena from orange to green. So, proof that some of us go back a bit in time with our support and have found a way to keep it all in perspective.

Yep...tough day, but have already had a lively discussion...all in fun...with a guy who works in my building and rags on me about UNT and my support all the time. The guy is an Aggie...so, he knows what it is like to be teased a bit. All in fun...all in good fun. It's really not that hard and if you try to keep a glass half-full perspective on it, you will probably be able to "survive".

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I was at NTSU in back half of the sixties when the school was in the Missouri Valley Conference and played before 4,000 fans in the bleachers of the gym ("snake pit"). NTSU dominated football '66 thru '68, but basketball was much tougher in the MVC. Still, the Eagles were competitive, and the gym was packed nearly every game. Living in Dallas and later back in hometown of Richardson after graduation, I had season tickets for the Cowboys for 19 years (until JJ bought the club), and the Mavericks for ten years. Pro sports ticket prices were already getting ridiculous by the time we moved to Flower Mound seven years ago, and the move made it easy to get reattached to UNT athletics. We have been football season ticket holders for several years now, and my recent retirement makes it easier to attend most basketball games. Was this last football season frustrating? Sure. Is this basketball season a major letdown? Sure. Do I keep my loyalty to my alma mater and hope for better days ahead? ABSOLUTELY!

• Upvote 5

Forget basketball until proven otherwise. This season is the worst thing I've ever seen since following UNT athletics from the mid-90s. Trilli's teams gave up 88 points a game and never won more than 7 games in a season, but never have we had such high expectations (in any sport) blow up in our face as spectacularly as this year's team.

Men's golf and football will be fine. We may not ever win a conference championship under DMac, but he'll make us into one hell of a tough, disciplined, and competitive team. That's all I ask for anymore.

Edited by TIgreen01

Forget basketball until proven otherwise. This season is the worst thing I've ever seen since following UNT athletics from the mid-90s. Trilli's teams gave up 88 points a game and never won more than 7 games in a season, but never have we had such high expectations (in any sport) blow up in our face as spectacularly as this Benford led team.

Men's golf and football will be fine. We may not ever win a conference championship under DMac, but he'll make us into one hell of a tough, disciplined, and competitive team. That's all I ask for anymore.

Actually, I think we should be asking for conference championships, not just disciplined teams.

• Upvote 3

You should have been here when they took our Baseball, Softball AND our men's Soccer teams from us,....all at one time.

Rick

I was...will never forget sitting in the meeting with the men's soccer team, players, parents and coaches as a representative of the then soccer "booster club" and listening as the AD told us one sorry "stretch of the truth" after another....it was a sad time for all these sports.

But, many of us who supported men's soccer remained as supporters of UNT and the athletic programs. It was however...dark times!

• Upvote 1

I remember when the mens tennis team was dropped around my junior year of high school. Before he coached at NT, the coach at the time had been my private instructor for several years. He had actually talked to my Mom about me walking on to be someone to take punishment from the guys we had back then. :lol:

So, I suppose I lost out for a chance to kinda play for NT? Probably never would have seen the court in an actual college match though. :)

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

I was at NTSU in back half of the sixties when the school was in the Missouri Valley Conference and played before 4,000 fans in the bleachers of the gym ("snake pit"). NTSU dominated football '66 thru '68, but basketball was much tougher in the MVC. Still, the Eagles were competitive, and the gym was packed nearly every game. Living in Dallas and later back in hometown of Richardson after graduation, I had season tickets for the Cowboys for 19 years (until JJ bought the club), and the Mavericks for ten years. Pro sports ticket prices were already getting ridiculous by the time we moved to Flower Mound seven years ago, and the move made it easy to get reattached to UNT athletics. We have been football season ticket holders for several years now, and my recent retirement makes it easier to attend most basketball games. Was this last football season frustrating? Sure. Is this basketball season a major letdown? Sure. Do I keep my loyalty to my alma mater and hope for better days ahead? ABSOLUTELY!

Yep. Graduated in Aug. of 1969. Good times back then. What a shame our administrative leaders did not have a vision for UNT athletics. I guess operating in the shadows of the Southwest Conference had something to do with it.

• Upvote 1