Middle Tennessee to CUSA

CurveItAround

I think this as close to a no-brainer as you can get. MUTS fits in the footprint of the league, they represent a decent market, and they have had success in football and basketball. Good move to replace ECU. Now go get ULL to replace Tulane and add WKU to replace Marshall if they leave. And tell Old Dominion and Charlotte that they things have changed and that the SBC is probably a better fit for their upcoming programs. If UTEP leaves, get NMSU. If Tulsa leaves, get Texas State.

• Upvote 1

Selfishly, I hope CUSA adds another eastern school so USM would hopefully move to the west. It would be a really tough division, but it would prevent us from having to play an existing SBC school as often (which several on the board seem to want to avoid) and USM would provide a little name recognition with our fans. Even though FAU has not really established itself, it would help a little with OLY travel and provide a south Florida game pretty much every year (not that we recruit Florida a lot, but still).

I could live with playing Tulsa, UTEP, Rice, UTSA, La Tech, and USM every year and rotating through the eastern team. That would certainly meet our original reason for moving and would be step up in competition level for us. We had better be ready to step up our performance though.

Edited by CurveItAround

At this point, I think I'd prefer to wish away the East Coast teams and just have a 9 team conference. UAB, USM, LT, Rice, NT, Tulsa, UTSA, and UTEP. Then add one of either ULLA, Arky State, Middle, or TSSM. Of course you could add all 4 to get to 12, but if Tulsa and UTEP go MWC, things could get awfully SBCish once again.

I'd like to see Texas State invited

For me, it's either UTSA, OR TXSt. One, or the other... not both.

I'd like to guage interest in some MAC schools. Wonder if some of those schools would consider moving to C-USA? N. Illinois would be a nice target. Ohio, Miami (OH) would also be targets I would be interested in, especially if WKU joins up.

I'd like to see Texas State invited

I would MUCH PREFER that Texas State be invited than the MUTS. We cannot fill Apogee by playing the MTSU's of the world.....or the WKU's. Even if our own fans can't get too excited about Texas State, at least Texas State will bring a strong contingent of fans and help fill our stadium.

• Downvote 3

I would MUCH PREFER that Texas State be invited than the MUTS. We cannot fill Apogee by playing the MTSU's of the world.....or the WKU's. Even if our own fans can't get too excited about Texas State, at least Texas State will bring a strong contingent of fans and help fill our stadium.

They needed to add MUTS to cover the loss of ECU. We won't play MUTS as often because they will be in the Eastern division. I think Texas State is a viable candidate to replace Tulane because it wraps up the Texas teams for C-USA. I'm starting to lean towards Texas State being added and I would be interested in hearing what the UTSA fans think about that. They want separation but it would give them a great close rival. I think with the Big East losing their BCS autobid and the Big East, CUSA, MWC, MAC and Belt all standing on the same ground in terms of said autobid - separation becomes less of an issue unless you are fortunate enough to get invited to the ACC, B10, PAC10, B12, SEC etc...

Watching all of this movement, I think UNT would be wise to join itself with LA Tech, UTEP, or Tulsa so that when MWC comes calling for one or more of those schools, UNT will have an ally.

MWC as it currently stands, is not quite as good as what we would like it to be as compared to the current C-USA, but if by chance some of the schools who bolted for the Big East reneg, and the conference starts creeping East to Tulsa/UTEP/LATech, then it makes it look MUCH better than a depleted C-USA.

• Upvote 1

It looks like they are after FAU and NMSU for teh 14th member to CUSA. I hoping for NMSU.

" The addition of Middle Tennessee leaves C-USA with 13 members, with a 14th likely to be added in the next few weeks, sources said. Potential expansion candidates include Florida Atlantic of the Sun Belt and New Mexico State of the Western Athletic Conference."

Edited by EagleGreen

It looks like they are after FAU and NMSU for teh 14th member to CUSA. I hoping for NMSU.

" The addition of Middle Tennessee leaves C-USA with 13 members, with a 14th likely to be added in the next few weeks, sources said. Potential expansion candidates include Florida Atlantic of the Sun Belt and New Mexico State of the Western Athletic Conference."

No to FAU...FIU is enough.

I have nothing against NMSU, but they will still be there if UTEP leaves, and I think there are better options. Like ULL or WKU

Things are gonna get tough for the SB... I can see a scenario it's current comissioner has seen once already. Glad not to be stuck with that guy!

Edit: just saw that this report says they are joining FIU and WKU in departing the belt for C-USA....hmmm I am pretty sure the mascot of the team I root for is not some shapeless blob.

Edited by outoftown