If we play usta in the Alamo City

Mo Green

A rivalry, or two or three, would really energize our fan base. Having the games in a destination town helps as well. I would rather have renewed our past history with Texas State, but UTSA will do for a big rivalry.

Names for a trophy? Something having to do with the fact that both towns are located on I-35 and/or the fact that our respective mascots are birds of prey.

Tulsa would be my second choice. Believe it or not, Tulsa is a really cool city.

Exactly. I don't mind declaring one since it hasn't happened organically. Texas State v UTSA is already called the I-35 rivalry.

Name it something to do with North v South?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't think you're quite aware of what SMU's reality is. Do they obsess over UNT? For the most part, no. But being just down the road from UNT, they are very aware of what UNT is doing, unlike the rest of the country. And yes, there are plenty of SMU fans who absolutely loathe UNT. That's reality.

I'm not saying any rivalry that we would have with them would ever surpass their rivalry with TCU. But since when is a team limited to one rival? Does Georgia not have a rivalry with any SEC teams because they already have a rivalry with Georgia Tech? Every team on Notre Dame's schedule is a huge rivalry. Plenty of teams are that way--we're just not one of them. Not yet, anyway.

As far as "meaningful"--it's college football; every game is meaningful. Throw in the geographical closeness, the awareness each school has with the other, the fact that their alumni work together, etc. . . . I guarantee you, it was a VERY meaningful game to SMU when they played us in 2007, and had to avenge the previous season's loss. Our basketball game with UTA is a meaningful one every year . . . I might even be so bold as to call it a rivalry game . . . why? We are not in the same conference with them. One basketball win or loss is not as significant as in football. But we share geographical proximity, and each team has beaten the other.

We've already got them scheduled for 4 seasons. And I don't think they'd quit scheduling us if we started beating them . . . they'd make sure they beat us last, and then maybe quit scheduling us.

Given the number of SMU alums I work with, I'm pretty aware of the general sentiment of North Texas among SMU. It's mostly ambivalence. The only people that "loathe" us are the ones that are irritated by our constant trolling and obsession over them. I think the key part of the other rivalries that Georgia has is that whole SEC part you mentioned. OF COURSE THEY HAVE RIVALRIES WITH CONFERENCE FOES. That actually makes sense. Those rivalries happened. It wasn't just Georgia saying "Hey, guys, we want to be your rivals now, despite the fact that we don't play every year and we're not in the same conference."

And no, every game is not meaningful. And no, every game on Notre Dame's schedule isn't a rivalry. That's ridiculous. People wouldn't have the annual "We need a rivalry!" thread if that were the case, because everyone in college football would have at least 12 rivalry games a year. If nobody outside of the home region knows about it, it's not a rivalry. I KNOW who other teams rivalries are, even if I've never been a big fan or don't live in the area. Nobody other than a handful of alumni from North Texas believe there's any sort of rivalry with SMU. And there won't be one until such time as SMU and North Texas have a long-standing series with national implications.

People here REALLY need to get over the SMU obsession. It's sad. I applaud focusing on the regional competition within our new conference. We have plenty of reasonable teams with whom a rivalry could develop (DEVELOP, not be artificially created). You don't get rivalries by wishing.

Exactly. I don't mind declaring one since it hasn't happened organically. Texas State v UTSA is already called the I-35 rivalry.

Name it something to do with North v South?

The Texas State-UTSA "I-35 rivalry" will only continue if they regularly schedule one another for OCC games after they go their respective ways.....conference wise.

We could also work out some special arrangements with Amtrak. The San Antonio Amtrak station is right across the street from the Alamo dome.........

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&gl=us&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=Amtrak+station,+San+Antonio+texas&fb=1&gl=us&hq=Amtrak+station,&hnear=0x865c58af04d00eaf:0x856e13b10a016bc,San+Antonio,+TX&sa=X&ei=SFGhUKjyNrKv0AH19YGgCA&ved=0CI0BELYD

Within about four blocks of the station is a Hyatt and Marriott hotel (both of which have courtesy vans). AND if some sort of special travel deal was worked out with Amtrak the North Texas fans would be traveling on......THE TEXAS EAGLE........

http://www.texaseagle.com/

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 3

The Texas State-UTSA "I-35 rivalry" will only continue if they regularly schedule one another for OCC games after they go their respective ways.....conference wise.

We could also work out some special arrangements with Amtrak. The San Antonio Amtrak station is right across the street from the Alamo dome.........

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&gl=us&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=Amtrak+station,+San+Antonio+texas&fb=1&gl=us&hq=Amtrak+station,&hnear=0x865c58af04d00eaf:0x856e13b10a016bc,San+Antonio,+TX&sa=X&ei=SFGhUKjyNrKv0AH19YGgCA&ved=0CI0BELYD

Within about four blocks of the station is a Hyatt and Marriott hotel (both of which have courtesy vans). AND if some sort of special travel deal was worked out with Amtrak the North Texas fans would be traveling on......THE TEXAS EAGLE........

Does it stop in New Braunsfels?

Can we please pick someone, anyone, with more than 3 years of football history to beg and plea for a rivalry?

This is really embarassing. It's like begging a second grader to go to the prom with you. And just as icky, also.

P.S. Rivalries happen because of on the field moments between two football programs, not because fans are desperate for on the field football moments. Relax and let the natural course of football happen. I just want to get off the homecoming rotation for a change.

Edited by UNT90

Does it stop in New Braunsfels?

Can we please pick someone, anyone, with more than 3 years of football history to beg and plea for a rivalry?

This is really embarassing. It's like begging a second grader to go to the prom with you. And just as icky, also.

No, San Marcos.....then SA.

There is also a possibility that Amtrak will go through Tulsa. If the city of Tulsa has more pull than Wichita Kansas.

http://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/morning_call/2012/11/northern-flyer-rail-study-in-kansas.html

A rivalry with Tulsa would seem to be more "credible" with most of our fans. Although I wonder how many Tulsa fans will travel to Denton vs the number of UTSA fans that might travel.

I'm also wondering where North Texas fans can tailgate at the Alamo Dome.

If Tulsa is successful in getting Amtrak to go through their city, AND Krum is successful in getting a station, then Denton alums/fans could board Amtrak in Krum.

Channel 8 Story last December.

by CASEY NORTONBio

WFAA

Posted on December 14, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Updated Wednesday, Dec 14 at 10:26 PM

Gallery

KRUM, Texas — Railroads are a big part of Texas history, and the rails might be a bigger part of the state's future.

The Texas Department of Transportation is spending millions to look at new ways to connect our biggest cities and surrounding states, and the investment could put smaller towns on the track to "boom town" status.

Shelli Gomes is ready for her business to bloom. Everyone in Krum already knows about her flower shop, so the key for growth lies just a block away — on a set of steel rails that most people see as a speed bump.

This town is convinced that trains will haul in visitors and boost sales tax receipts by 10 percent.

"There is a huge spectrum there that we are going to be able to capture," Gomes said. "People that had no idea there was a place called 'Krum, Texas.'"

Krum wants what Fort Worth has: An Amtrak stop that could become a major hub for soon-to-be-expanded passenger rail.

"It's a lot cheaper than buying a plane ticket," said Stephanie Hoelscher as she got off the Heartland Flyer in December. "And it's a lot cheaper than driving."

She is one of the 128,000 people who hopped on board in the last 12 months, and that's just for the two trains that stop in Krum.

The Heartland Flyer connects Fort Worth to Oklahoma City. The Texas Eagle heads south to San Antonio, then to El Paso and beyond. For those routes, North Texas ridership is up more than 10 percent, or 18,000 people, compared to 2010.

Texas and its neighbors believe now is the time to expand.

This year, the Texas Department of Transportation set aside more than $5 million to explore independent routes to connect Fort Worth with Austin, San Antonio and Laredo.

There's also a $15 million study under way for a high-speed connection between D/FW and Houston. And Kansas and Oklahoma are putting up their own money to look into service from Fort Worth to Kansas City.

A November passenger feasibility study revealed the northern route would cost $245 million. Kansas projects some 270,000 riders per year for a daytime route.

Texas Rail Advocates Chairman Peter LeCody thinks there could be more passengers than that. He says studies have proven passenger rail can eventually pay for itself if speeds increase to make times more compatible to car travel or short-distance air travel.

LeCody told News 8 that with the Texas population booming with transfers from out-of-state, there is new demand for business travel on trains, and families always look for good alternatives to air travel.

"I think this thing has been studied to death so far," LeCody said. "Now it's time to start saying, 'How are we going to finance it? How are we going to do the infrastructure improvements?'"

Texas Rail Advocates said the Texas Legislature hasn't funded any improvements in six years. That's when Texas voters approved a special rail division within TxDOT.

TxDOT told News 8 that rail improvements and expanded passenger service will be a priority in the next session, in 2013.

Krum isn't waiting.

It is already offering $35,000 to start construction for a train stop right beneath the town's old grain mill.

It's betting trains will put it on the track to be something more than a one-horse town.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

I'm already down with the coordination of a pep rally on the Riverwalk followed by a takeover of the Howl at the Moon Bar on Friday night! We must reserve a hotel in stumbling distance to the party zone and Dome.

GMG

• Upvote 1

I hope we play UTSA during Fiesta and Tulane during Mardi Gras, but we won't.

UNT is taking over SMU's CUSA schedule, and UTSA is taking over Houston's so we will play UTSA in mid-October.

And our every other year trips to El Paso, Houston, San Antonio, Tulsa, New Orleans, and eventually Ruston will all be better than any Big West or Sun Belt trips we made over the last twenty years. (Except for maybe Lafayette, because I love me some fried turkey.)

I'm just ready to no longer have the following coversations...

Me: I'm going to the UNT game on saturday

Other: Who are they playing?

Me: <insert random directionless school that few people in TX have ever heard of>

Other: oh (with puzzled look on face)

<and the conversation is immediately over>

Edited by meaniegreenie
  • Upvote 2

Given the number of SMU alums I work with, I'm pretty aware of the general sentiment of North Texas among SMU.

Oh, yeah? Well I've worked with more SMU alumni than you, so there. :rolleyes1:

I think the key part of the other rivalries that Georgia has is that whole SEC part you mentioned. OF COURSE THEY HAVE RIVALRIES WITH CONFERENCE FOES. That actually makes sense. Those rivalries happened. It wasn't just Georgia saying "Hey, guys, we want to be your rivals now, despite the fact that we don't play every year and we're not in the same conference."

So why do they also have a heated rivalry with Georgia Tech?

And no, every game is not meaningful.

If you say so. The vast majority of college football fans would disagree.

And no, every game on Notre Dame's schedule isn't a rivalry. That's ridiculous.

Not being a huge ND fan myself, I don't have every game on their schedule memorized, but Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Navy, and USC are all huge rivalries. It may seem ridiculous, but it's true.

Nobody other than a handful of alumni from North Texas believe there's any sort of rivalry with SMU. And there won't be one until such time as SMU and North Texas have a long-standing series with national implications.

I didn't know anyone believed there was. I agree that there needs to be more than a few games to establish a rivalry, although I don't know about the whole "national implications" thing. Army and Navy have a huge rivalry, and their game never has national implications. There are great rivalries in the MAC, even though those games don't have national implications. Even Arkansas State and Memphis have what I would call a rivalry (although I'm sure you'd disagree, just to keep up your contrary appearances).

People here REALLY need to get over the SMU obsession. It's sad. I applaud focusing on the regional competition within our new conference. We have plenty of reasonable teams with whom a rivalry could develop (DEVELOP, not be artificially created). You don't get rivalries by wishing.

I assume you're suggesting that I have an "SMU obsession"? Funny--in this very thread I suggested that Tulsa would be my hopeful choice to establish a rivalry with, not SMU. I just responded to a couple of false (or at least "not necessarily true") statements you made. To say SMU will never have a rivalry with us? We may not, but you don't know that. You might as well just say no one will ever have a rivalry with us.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If Tulsa is successful in getting Amtrak to go through their city, AND Krum is successful in getting a station, then Denton alums/fans could board Amtrak in Krum.

You know what it would take for this to be the case? Republican governors not refusing federal money for it to happen. The Red rejection of federal money for cross-country expansion of rail service, and even high speed rail service, was in my opinion one of the greater head-scratchers of the last four years.

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

You know what it would take for this to be the case? Republican governors not refusing federal money for it to happen. The Red rejection of federal money for cross-country expansion of rail service, and even high speed rail service, was in my opinion one of the greater head-scratchers of the last four years.

Trains are sooooo 1880s... That is why I have two airports to get me to a myriad of different locations safely and expeditiously. No need to borrow from the Chinese to build new railways when no one cares about the existing ones. Sarcasm over. Now back to simplicity: UTSA game fun, beer good.

http://maps.google.c...A&ved=0CI0BELYD

Brings back a memory - the first year Jerry Moore coached NTSU after Hayden left we played Kansas at Lawrence.

Arrangments were made for Amtrak's "Lone Star" (discontinued in 1979; in fact, our train home from Lawrence was the final "Lone Star" train to run) to stop at Sanger and pick up NTSU fans........Amtrak had an empty car on the train designated for the NTSU fans.

Scrappy was on board and we had a great time (although we lost to KU).

Anyone else on the GMG board who made that trip?

Edited by tylermeangreen
  • Upvote 1

Isn't taking a train much like taking a bus? Don't they stop in every small town along the way? If so, I couldn't see a 6 or 7 hour train ride over a 4 hour car ride.

Just saying...

Isn't taking a train much like taking a bus? Don't they stop in every small town along the way? If so, I couldn't see a 6 or 7 hour train ride over a 4 hour car ride.

Just saying...

Very different from a bus.

Coach seating has plenty of leg-room.

The lounge car has lots of glass windows and places to sit with friends and drink and talk.

Dining car serves meals in route.

And if you want a little......uh......ahem........privacy for the trip then you can rent a room for what such privacy would, uh, provide!

I have done just such many times. :thumbsup:

• Upvote 3

Channel 8 Story last December.

by CASEY NORTONBio

WFAA

Posted on December 14, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Updated Wednesday, Dec 14 at 10:26 PM

Gallery

KRUM, Texas — Railroads are a big part of Texas history, and the rails might be a bigger part of the state's future.

The Texas Department of Transportation is spending millions to look at new ways to connect our biggest cities and surrounding states, and the investment could put smaller towns on the track to "boom town" status.

Shelli Gomes is ready for her business to bloom. Everyone in Krum already knows about her flower shop, so the key for growth lies just a block away — on a set of steel rails that most people see as a speed bump.

This town is convinced that trains will haul in visitors and boost sales tax receipts by 10 percent.

"There is a huge spectrum there that we are going to be able to capture," Gomes said. "People that had no idea there was a place called 'Krum, Texas.'"

Krum wants what Fort Worth has: An Amtrak stop that could become a major hub for soon-to-be-expanded passenger rail.

"It's a lot cheaper than buying a plane ticket," said Stephanie Hoelscher as she got off the Heartland Flyer in December. "And it's a lot cheaper than driving."

She is one of the 128,000 people who hopped on board in the last 12 months, and that's just for the two trains that stop in Krum.

The Heartland Flyer connects Fort Worth to Oklahoma City. The Texas Eagle heads south to San Antonio, then to El Paso and beyond. For those routes, North Texas ridership is up more than 10 percent, or 18,000 people, compared to 2010.

Texas and its neighbors believe now is the time to expand.

This year, the Texas Department of Transportation set aside more than $5 million to explore independent routes to connect Fort Worth with Austin, San Antonio and Laredo.

There's also a $15 million study under way for a high-speed connection between D/FW and Houston. And Kansas and Oklahoma are putting up their own money to look into service from Fort Worth to Kansas City.

A November passenger feasibility study revealed the northern route would cost $245 million. Kansas projects some 270,000 riders per year for a daytime route.

Texas Rail Advocates Chairman Peter LeCody thinks there could be more passengers than that. He says studies have proven passenger rail can eventually pay for itself if speeds increase to make times more compatible to car travel or short-distance air travel.

LeCody told News 8 that with the Texas population booming with transfers from out-of-state, there is new demand for business travel on trains, and families always look for good alternatives to air travel.

"I think this thing has been studied to death so far," LeCody said. "Now it's time to start saying, 'How are we going to finance it? How are we going to do the infrastructure improvements?'"

Texas Rail Advocates said the Texas Legislature hasn't funded any improvements in six years. That's when Texas voters approved a special rail division within TxDOT.

TxDOT told News 8 that rail improvements and expanded passenger service will be a priority in the next session, in 2013.

Krum isn't waiting.

It is already offering $35,000 to start construction for a train stop right beneath the town's old grain mill.

It's betting trains will put it on the track to be something more than a one-horse town.

So, Krum will have an Amtrak station and Denton won't? How dumb. That thing should have a spur that drops people off at Apogee. Denia folks will love it.