DT vs. Berglund

H-towngreen

You guys can have Piland. We're putting our stock in this guy:

http://rivals.yahoo....n-O'Korn-116990

UH has been spoiled (due to Briles' recruiting) with good QB's for years and that offensive system clearly works. We will gladly take Berglund any day of the week; and hope he can help carry this thing to new heights so we can start to recruit the Terrance Broadway/RGIII's/Piland's of the world on a consistent basis.

Are you watching the same games as the rest of us? I agree, we may not have the best receivers on earth, but Thompson is just not an accurate passer.

I sometimes wonder if any of you watch any football other than UNT so you can see what happens when good wide receivers (plural, more than one at a time) are on the field running clean routes.

Chancellor's out, and the team's other two leading receivers are walk-ons. They are walk-ons for a reason.

Fourth leading receiver, Jimmerson - out. Thompson still hits 60+% of his passes today. Not sure what the bitching is about. Thompson does the best with what he has to work with around him...which, outside of the running back, hasn't been much.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I sometimes wonder if any of you watch any football other than UNT so you can see what happens when good wide receivers (plural, more than one at a time) are on the field running clean routes.

Chancellor's out, and the team's other two leading receivers are walk-ons. They are walk-ons for a reason.

Fourth leading receiver, Jimmerson - out. Thompson still hits 60+% of his passes today. Not sure what the bitching is about. Thompson does the best with what he has to work with around him...which, outside of the running back, hasn't been much.

Sorry buddy. Receivers are not the problem. So many throws are diving catches, going in the air, or just making very athletic catches in order to get a completion. Listen to the radiocast or watch the film...its the same conclusion...he can only complete if the receivers run the exact route they were supposed to. He has no ability to adapt to a situation

Fail.
  • Upvote 2

DT constantly catches the heat. He is in an impossible situation. His best receiver is gone. His best RB is gone. If you saw McNulty's start last year against Tulsa you would not want to see him on the field again. Maybe Berglund is the great hope, but given the same circumstances I don't see him doing much better. Neither he or DT play defense, and that is where the problem lies. Just like a Dodge team Mac's D quit totally on him at the end of ULM game. This can't keep happening. Even Troy Aikman @ QB can't overcome a porous secondary and inconsistent D Line play. Personally I would still prefer a kid with character and effort like DT to a journeyman w/o loyalty to any program like Berglund. But that's just me. With Chancellor and Jimmerson back it will be even more obvious that defense, w/o speed height, or ability to cover is the real problem with this team.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

DT constantly catches the heat. He is in an impossible situation. His best receiver is gone. His best RB is gone. If you saw McNulty's start last year against Tulsa you would not want to see him on the field again. Maybe Berglund is the great hope, but given the same circumstances I don't see him doing much better. Neither he or DT play defense, and that is where the problem lies. Just like a Dodge team Mac's D quit totally on him at the end of ULM game. This can't keep happening. Even Troy Aikman @ QB can't overcome a porous secondary and inconsistent D Line play. Personally I would still prefer a kid with character and effort like DT to a journeyman w/o loyalty to any program like Berglund. But that's just me. With Chancellor and Jimmerson back it will be even more obvious that defense, w/o speed height, or ability to cover is the real problem with this team.

For instance: Berglund, who is known as a running QB, would have possibly been able to fake a handoff up the middle and bootleg sprint to the outside for a TD on the 4th & goal from the 1/2 yard line.

It's not all about receivers with guys like Berglund. If his receivers aren't open, Berglund has wheels and can move to either buy more time for his receivers, or pick up positive yards.

I'm looking forward to Spring practice. Thompson will need to improve his accuracy if he is going to retain his job, but it will be a dogfight for sure.

For instance: Berglund, who is known as a running QB, would have possibly been able to fake a handoff up the middle and bootleg sprint to the outside for a TD on the 4th & goal from the 1/2 yard line.

If our O-line can't move ULM's D-line 1/2 a yard for a QB sneak, then we have bigger problems. The entire problem is not DT, and although Berglund was rated higher out of HS, I am curious to see what he will do after a couple of years off. DT manages the game with what he has to work with, and while he is not always accurate, again, this is not all on him. It just comes with the territory of being the QB.

It'd be one thing if DT was taking a beating every game. That would explain his lack of vision, the constant throwing off his back foot, and the inability to hit receivers in stride.... But didn't I hear yesterday that he's the third least hit/sacked QB in college football?

It'd be one thing if DT was taking a beating every game. That would explain his lack of vision, the constant throwing off his back foot, and the inability to hit receivers in stride.... But didn't I hear yesterday that he's the third least hit/sacked QB in college football?

This this this this this x10000000000

Personally I would still prefer a kid with character and effort like DT to a journeyman w/o loyalty to any program like Berglund. But that's just me.

Right! I prefer 2 win seasons with a bunch of scrappy, high football IQ, bring your lunch pail everyday, coaches sons to a bunch of highly rated glory boys with skill and athleticism who would lead us to 8-9 wins. I want loyalty to the program as opposed to letting some hot shot QB who got screwed over with a coaching change at another school take the reins

• Upvote 2

Be as far down on Thompson as you please, he has not shown to be a super QB and I think that is what a lot of you expect. NT now has no speed and despite what some of you think not a lot of talent at wr. He does play McCarney style and gets rid of the ball rather than take sacks and doesn't usually make a lot of mistakes. Yes he misses open receivers and so does every other QB that has ever played, one of the problems he doesn't have as many to miss.

A lot of you think very highly of Scott Hall and pan Thompson without ever considered the difference in the team around them. My guess if Scott was QB now he would be getting the same beating as Thompson.

If anyone beats out Thompson next year that will be great but it won't be as easy as some think.

Sorry buddy. Receivers are not the problem. So many throws are diving catches, going in the air, or just making very athletic catches in order to get a completion. Listen to the radiocast or watch the film...its the same conclusion...he can only complete if the receivers run the exact route they were supposed to. He has no ability to adapt to a situation

This!

Even when throwing to chancellor he was over throwing/under throwing/missing him if he were open (minus a couple of long throws they connected on). Just look at the simple crossing patterns over the middle that he's consistently off target on. Those aren't hard passes, but half the time he hits someone on the defense.

Our WRs are very average, but there are plenty of times that they are missed when open, plenty.

Look, Thompson does a good job of protecting the ball. We have a good run game. He has an excellent line. Beyond that, we've got Brelan Chancellor.

We can't run the ball 70 times a game. So, with Chancellor out, some one has to step up. And, our choices are a couple of walk-ons and a thired year JUCO who has never blossomed.

Again, as many of us said at the beginning of the year, the problem will be that the DL wears down end of the season. That no receivers developed wasn't as obvious. There were enough guy on the roster who should have stepped it up better at that position.

To me, having a veteran like Chris Bynes only producing 15 catches over 11 games...that's a problem. Especially after Chancellor is injured, how does the guy with the most experience not step up to the plate?

164% disappointed that a scholarship player like Chaz Sampson, with the size he had, let so many walk-ons pass him by. This is a kid who Tulsa had offered. Tulsa throws the ball around a little and so I assumed their coaches know what receivers look like in the raw.

The bottom line in the offseason is this, as much as I love McCarney, he and his staff are digging their own graves if they cannot get some contributing defensive linemen and a couple of playmaking wide receivers.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Fail.

Solid sports retort.

DT has completed 58% of his passes and averages 238 a game. Again, he plays the most high profile position, so he gets the most attention when things don't go right. Now, I don't think he is perfect, but he is not as bad as some of you make him out to be. Scott Hall would have struggled without Galbreath/Thomas/Cobbs at RB, Quinn at WR and Blount at TE kind of like DT has struggled without Jimmerson, Chancellor and a true pass catching TE since Smith went down.

Solid sports retort.

DT has completed 58% of his passes and averages 238 a game. Again, he plays the most high profile position, so he gets the most attention when things don't go right. Now, I don't think he is perfect, but he is not as bad as some of you make him out to be. Scott Hall would have struggled without Galbreath/Thomas/Cobbs at RB, Quinn at WR and Blount at TE kind of like DT has struggled without Jimmerson, Chancellor and a true pass catching TE since Smith went down.

You also have to take into account the fact the he faces cover freaking zero nearly every game. Tired of excuses, football is a game of results and we aren't getting any.

I'll admit, I'm relatively new to this fan base but I did watch Scott Hall play while I was growing up and, sadly, I watched all of the Dodge era. Please, great people of this fan base, don't subject yourself to feeling that DT is an adequate division-1 quarterback. He's a good guy but it would be for the best of the team if Berglund were able to prove he is a better player and win the job.

Also, if this happens don't feel bad for DT. He's going to leave here with plenty of memories and free schooling well into his master's degree.

• Upvote 3

[

Scott Hall would have struggled without Galbreath/Thomas/Cobbs at RB, Quinn at WR and Blount at TE kind of like DT has struggled without Jimmerson, Chancellor and a true pass catching TE since Smith went down.

Scott Hall would have struggled without a top 10 defense.....also.

Remember, we were not an offensive juggernaut back then. In 2002 in the second game of the season against a poor 1-AA Nichols State team we only took a 10-0 lead going into the 4th quarter. People started to leave for their cars at that point. But if I remember correctly, Nichols reached the 50 yard line one time, and that was all the Buick cared about. Our success was based around the other guy not being able to move the ball. At one point we were ranked 3rd in the nation in scoring defense and 9th in rushing defense.

Now we're giving up 31 points in a half to a poor MTSU team without their stud running back.

No one understands more the importance of dominating D Line play than D Mac. So it comes as a shock to me here late in his second season, with two recruiting classes under his belt, to not see us start to see some improvement in that part of our D. We must have this and next year we had better see it improve or we are going to be in more trouble than we originally thought?

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1