Very disappointing loss

Harry

Same old crap, different year. I really think this team would be different with a decent QB. Teams sell out against our 3 RB's because they know we can't move the ball through the air. Houston's D is bad enough that the RB's still had room to run, but that won't be the case very often.

We hardly ever throw the short pass, slant over the middle, etc....Houston did this alot and kicked our ass....Someone on Dan Mac show on Mondays asked a simple question...why when we need 6 yrds on a 3rd and 6, we throw for 4 yds...ball caught...but short...punt......Dan skipped over the question, didn't answer it..complete BS...I really pissed me off he didn' address the question....I thnik he owes us answers why we can only beat a BCS school or a FAU who has only beated Wagner...whoever the hell they are.
  • Upvote 2

How many classes has Coach Mac and staff brought in? This is year two of a rebuilding process with one of the youngest teams in the nation. While I am thoroughly disappointed with tonight's game, I also realize that Dodge's JUCO heavy class has hurt the current team. Honestly, I thought next year would really be our year for the turn around to take hold, but our performances against LSU and KSU raised expectations. We will be fine, and I have faith Mac has us headed in the right direction.

I think the issues have more to do with play calling, being too conservative when anyone can see we are in trouble...often in the first qtr...our lack of pass coverage.

I think the issues have more to do with play calling, being too conservative when anyone can see we are in trouble...often in the first qtr...our lack of pass coverage.

When you don't have the horses yet, you have no choice but to be conservative.

When you don't have the horses yet, you have no choice but to be conservative.

I think the play calling has a lot to do with the ass whipping...sorry I have seen it too much with this coach...seems to me, what he is doing now isn't working. How many times have we needed 7 yrds for a first on a 3rd down and they throw a 5 yrd pass in heavy coverage..complete it and we are 2 yrds short...it happens all of the time .

Watching UH march up and down the field, seemingly at will, all night long, we are woefully short of talent and speed. It's hard for me to believe that UH, Tx State, utsa, etc., can out recruit us in talent.

What a poor showing tonight.

I would believe that UH can out recruit us, but I don't see how the likes of TX State and UTSA do, other than the fact that both of their coaches have a better winning percentage than Mac, overall.

• Upvote 2

No one is arguing that sometimes just you dont have the horses... I'd just like to see something different/creative tried with the horses you have... how unreasonable is that?

Isn't different/creative what TD tried? His idea of opening up the other defense was to first let the opposing offense score 30 so their defense started playing prevent and then we score. How did that work out for us?

• Upvote 1

A few points:

A.) Let's talk improvement--the last time we went to Houston, Rice beat us 77-21--only because they took the 4th quarter off. This year, we lost to UH 44-21. We are 33 points better in just 4 short years (sarcasm alert, but the point is we are better).

B.) Recruiting at UNT will always be a challenge until we actualy win. Nobody else that we recruit against in Texas, Oklahoma, or Louisiana have had the negative issues that hang over us still today. Apogee, McCarney, Rawlins, RV, tailgating, CUSA, etc...they all are light years better than what most of us dealt with at UNT Football as fans, but the negative view of UNT football from its own alumni, the lack of support from the students, faculty, and citizenry of the town, the local sports media, and, probably, the worst of all, the negative views of our football program with Texas HS coaches, they all combine to give you classes that are subpar comapred to all of the schools mentioned earlier. Texas State and UTSA don't face anything close to the negative information that UNT does. Texas State sells their future under Coach Fran, UTSA sells their future under Coach Coker in a big city ready to support them, all while North Texas deals with the outrageously negative view that most outside folks have of this school, city, and program. We have no one to blame but ourselves for the predicament that we are in with our W-L record. From never being in the SWC club to dropping down to 1-aa purgatory for 12 looonnnnggg years to playing in the perceived worst FBS conference for the last 11 years in the SBC, it all has combined to put us in this situation.

The good news is that McCarney is a good rebuilding coach--this is his specialty. He has energy (at least for now), which helps on the recruiting front. He may not get many decent recruits from Texas HS right now, but he is helping to show the all-important TX HS coaches that it is a different day in Denton. Apogee and CUSA will play even bigger roles in selling our program in the future. I will say this, because I believe it with all my heart, but if McCarney can't turn it around here when he is done, I'm not sure anyone can do it here. It takes a special kind of "involved" coach here in Denton--you have do a LOT MORE than just x's and o's and recruiting. You have to CONSTANTLY sell the program and try to change the minds of the students, faculty, and citizens in Denton that have been told not to care about UNT athletics, for many different reasons. I believe that Coach Mac is that guy, though. I think that Year 3 and beyond will show all of us that he is definitely the right guy for our situation.

• Upvote 4