You guys think utsa is legit....

Coach Bill Lewis

Do they have a better record so far than I thought they would, before the season started? Yes. The South Al game was a push (barely won it anyways) and I thought they'd lose the NMSU. I didn't realize how bad NMSU would be, they were pretty decent last year and looked on the way up.

If they beat Rice I will concede that they are a decent team and that Coker was a decent hire. I still like us in a game because of our D, but I think they will be able to beat Texas St on Thanksgiving.

• Upvote 1

I posted back in May 2012:

UTSA has Larry Coker as their head coach. As a head coach he went 12-0 with a national title at Miami and finished ranked in the top 5 three times.

He has only 21 losses in his career & knows how to coach. If he says UTSA can pull a rabbit out its hat I might not believe him but I would not bet against it.

He still has only 21 losses in his career & he still knows how to coach. Maybe we should pose a different question.

Do you think UTSA will make it to a bowl game?

The fact that we are even having this discussion proves they are doing something right in my mind. If they had scheduled stronger teams and were sitting at 0-5 or 1-4, they would have removed all doubt and nobody would have been talking about them. This way you don't really know and their fans are just happy to have some football, so they don't care about the opponents (but I bet they do like the wins).

I love the scheduling going on at UTSA...NEW TEAM....relatively speaking....getting some wins is a very good thing in my opinion. I am happy to have UTSA in CUSA and even happier to have this east travel in-state team in the same conference with the Mean Green.

I do think they are doing some things the right way to build fan support and interest. Good for them.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This is exactly why you don't schedule Alabama, LSU and the like. Schedule winnable games. If they had schedules UT and lost by 70, everybody would know they suck, but since they have not played a decent team and are 5-0 there is no proof.

I've been saying this. I'd much rather be defending the legitimacy of a 5-0 record than trying to convince people that the LSU/KSU losses were "really good losses when you think about it".

TxSouthern was an opportunity to roll up some big numbers and we didn't do it. At some point we have to actually be good on the field for any of this to matter.

• Upvote 3

To answer the original topic question, based on their schedule,no.

Howevever I don't want to rain on their parade because they are playing who they should play OOC right now. I will give them their props. Great job. They will have plenty of losses from their conference schedule. If you look at their future OOC schedule, it is tough for a startup program. Not sure what they are thinking here (maybe it was required in order for them to get invited to CUSA). They will likely soon experience the joy of not winning an OOC game for the next few years. Think these teams aren't licking their chops? They were probably lining up to get to play UTSA.

• 08/31 - at New Mexico
  • 09/07 - Oklahoma State
  • 09/14 - at Arizona
  • 09/28 - Houston

• 08/30 - at Houston
  • 09/06 - Arizona
  • 09/13 - at Oklahoma State
  • 09/27 - at Kansas State
  • 10/04 - New Mexico

• 09/05 - at Arizona
  • 09/12 - Kansas State
  • 09/19 - at Oklahoma State
  • 10/03 - Colorado State

This is exactly why you don't schedule Alabama, LSU and the like. Schedule winnable games. If they had schedules UT and lost by 70, everybody would know they suck, but since they have not played a decent team and are 5-0 there is no proof.

DING, DING, DING. I agree 100% 110%!

If we had played the weakest possible schedule and were 5-0, how much excitement would there be here? How would it influence attendance? How much of a buzz would it have with local media? It may be all smoke and mirrors, but the bottom line is UTSA is 5-0. Just for once it would be nice to be in that position.

• Upvote 1

DING, DING, DING. I agree 100% 110%!

If we had played the weakest possible schedule and were 5-0, how much excitement would there be here? How would it influence attendance? How much of a buzz would it have with local media? It may be all smoke and mirrors, but the bottom line is UTSA is 5-0. Just for once it would be nice to be in that position.

That position feels great. :D

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

North Texas gained more respect playing LSU & playing well at Kansas than we did by beating Texas Southern and FAU. If all you want is a win let's drop down to Div II and play Texas A&M - Commerce. For my part, I want my university to play at the highest level of college athletics - nothing less.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

The 5 teams that UTSA has beaten are a combined 3-22. They are 5-0 now but could easily finish 5-7.

While their competition was bad so far I still think they might quite possibly get to 9-3... after all they still have some teams on their schedule that... well....are not impossible to beat, even for a team that is not very legit:

Rice, Tstate san Marcos, Idaho and McNeese state.

These teams are a combined 3-10 vs FBS competition and 3-2 vs FCS (and it would look worse without MCNeese in the group).

luckily there are some NCAA provisions from getting bowl eligible with that kind of schedule

Edited by outoftown

Yeah... Not thrilled with that. But whatever.

Not that big a deal, just taking at shot at the king. Can't really blame Houston for this. Look how fast UTSA's OOC calendar filled up. Teams thinking they get an almost assured win against a team in CUSA (so they can justify to alums), and they get to make a trip into the SA market for recruiting. I guarantee you that every coach out there would schedule the easiest teams possible if they could get away with it. Why do you think the NCAA has to put limits on the amount of FCS schools you can play and still be bowl eligible? The new included SOS as a factor for the playoffs to exclude the non power conferences and to shut out power conference teams that would otherwise schedule cupcakes.

Not that big a deal, just taking at shot at the king. Can't really blame Houston for this. Look how fast UTSA's OOC calendar filled up. Teams thinking they get an almost assured win against a team in CUSA (so they can justify to alums), and they get to make a trip into the SA market for recruiting. I guarantee you that every coach out there would schedule the easiest teams possible if they could get away with it. Why do you think the NCAA has to put limits on the amount of FCS schools you can play and still be bowl eligible? The new included SOS as a factor for the playoffs to exclude the non power conferences and to shut out power conference teams that would otherwise schedule cupcakes.

You think that will work? Maybe for LSUs or Bamas, but say for Houston, SMU, Ole Miss etc, even if they schedule tough non-conf, do they really have a shot at the 4-team playoff? Don't think those kinds of programs get much incentive to schedule up.