Yet Another Fatal Family Pit Bull Attack

So here's what I'm reading:

Own any and all guns, up to and including fully automatic, armor piercing, anti-aircraft, rocket propelled grenade rifles, because the constitution says we have that freedom.

Eradicate and ban a particular breed of dog because of anecdotal incidents.

Seems to me that if one has the freedom to own one potentially fatal instrument, one should be able to own the other. One should also be responsible in ownership of either.

But when it all comes down to it, for me, I've never met a total sweetheart of a Smith & Wesson who came up and slobbered all over my face, then demanded a game of fetch with a crazy wagging tail.

Also, on a bit of a tangent, I am absolutely not anti-gun. I 100% don't care what people own. But when I see stickers on the back of a truck that say, "God, Guns, and Country," I get confused. I'm not sure how God and Guns are connected. Greg Abbott's campaign ad drives this concept home. I truly don't get the connection. Did God dictate somewhere in Leviticus that thou shalt blow thy enemies to smithereens?

abbottad.jpg

• Upvote 5

So here's what I'm reading:

Own any and all guns, up to and including fully automatic, armor piercing, anti-aircraft, rocket propelled grenade rifles, because the constitution says we have that freedom.

Eradicate and ban a particular breed of dog because of anecdotal incidents.

Seems to me that if one has the freedom to own one potentially fatal instrument, one should be able to own the other. One should also be responsible in ownership of either.

But when it all comes down to it, for me, I've never met a total sweetheart of a Smith & Wesson who came up and slobbered all over my face, then demanded a game of fetch with a crazy wagging tail.

Also, on a bit of a tangent, I am absolutely not anti-gun. I 100% don't care what people own. But when I see stickers on the back of a truck that say, "God, Guns, and Country," I get confused. I'm not sure how God and Guns are connected. Greg Abbott's campaign ad drives this concept home. I truly don't get the connection. Did God dictate somewhere in Leviticus that thou shalt blow thy enemies to smithereens?

abbottad.jpg

You sure get a lot out of a bumper sticker.:)...

for me its fairly simple.

Learn the teachings of the bible...you know, the whole "do unto to others.." thing,..there are some good rules to live by in there.

Learn to use a gun to defend yourself so your ass don't get eaten by a pack of Pit Bulls.

And learn to love and maintain this free country we are so blessed to be in.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

---An extensive bit on Midland TV news last night about problems with some pit bulls in Monahans... Several people and animals have been chewed up by them ( I think some small dogs killed ). Some here think I am anti-gun, .. I'm not.. I likely would shoot them and get arrested if they harmed me or mine. ( no assault gun needed ).

-- From my experience in education ... neither of the two subjects above should be the responsibility of schools... they have far too much else to teach and too little time (one hour per class per day in HS) ... That should be left to parents.... schools are not parents and should not take on their responsibilities and as for religion there are far too many opinions and differences to do that I have had had Baptist, Methodist, Church of Christ, Jewish, Mormon, Catholic, Islamic, Buddhist, Seven-Day Adventist, Mennonites, and many more... both very conservative and very liberal groups ... no way schools should touch that one to teach.

It is a fable to say schools in general don't allow religion in schools [ there are few crazy exceptions] .... seen a lot of Bibles in kid's hands and no one says anything until they decide to preach to the "sinners" in class that believe differently. (seen that too.. that is where most crazy rumors of anti-Christian come from ... I have had students tell me I was unchristian when I told them to put up their "book" and get busy on their assignment... most were near failing ) ---It is rather unconstitutional to force people into religion classes also.. public schools is a government agency and there is supposed to be separation of church and state. Odd that extreme conservatives are the ones that want it taught in schools.... they are the ones always pointing at the Constitution. [ very selective of them... and how is Cruz an American born person and qualified to be President? he was born in Canada with a Cuban father and the American government did not assign his parents there as they do military etc. ]

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Downvote 1

---An extensive bit on Midland TV news last night about problems with some pit bulls in Monahans... Several people and animals have been chewed up by them ( I think some small dogs killed ). Some here think I am anti-gun, .. I'm not.. I likely would shoot them and get arrested if they harmed me or mine. ( no assault gun needed ).

Here's my belief on Pit Bulls...

...people can argue all they want...they are, actually, bred to be dangerous. They are. Like German Shepards and Rottweilers. They can be extremely friendly and family dogs if you train them and get rid of that breeding instinct. But for every 1 family that raises a Pit correctly, there's 3 people who keep it chained outside their trailer because they're cheap and overbred, everywhere in the shelters.

Pit supporters love to use the excuse that Chihuahuas are more dangerous and that they have a mild temperament compared to other big dogs. Totally true. A little Yorkie or Chihuahua can only do so much damage though.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1

The problem with pit bulls is consistency... nice today but tomorrow they may decide to take a hunk out of you for no reason .... Don't see that with German shepherds and most others. Those are far more predictable.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Kaufman, Texas, yesterday....

"Woman, 85, killed by son's pit bulls, police say"

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/nation/2014/04/01/woman-85-dead-in-apparent-kaufman-dogs-attack/7161123/

Capt. Ed Black says it appears two large, very aggressive dogs attacked Hamilton. Investigators seized eight pit bulls, including the two dogs suspected in the attack discovered Monday afternoon

Rick

• Upvote 1

...and two more in the Houston area this week:

Police: 2-year-old airlifted after attacked by pit bull owned by mother's boyfriend

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Life-Flight-called-to-League-City-for-dog-bite-253200601.html

Off-duty deputy shoots, kills pit bull that attacked him

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Off-duty-deputy-shoots-kills-pit-bull-that-attacked-him--252962571.html

Edited by Stix
  • Upvote 1

Random Pit Bull attack reported in San Diego paper this morning as well. Three pit bulls in unprovoked attack on three adults. All three dogs shot and killed by responding police. No dog tags, no chips on any of the three. Nice doggies!

• Upvote 1

...and two more in the Houston area this week:

Police: 2-year-old airlifted after attacked by pit bull owned by mother's boyfriend

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Life-Flight-called-to-League-City-for-dog-bite-253200601.html

Off-duty deputy shoots, kills pit bull that attacked him

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Off-duty-deputy-shoots-kills-pit-bull-that-attacked-him--252962571.html

Damnit! Truly sad when children are hurt.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

• 6 months later...

In local news, my maltese/yorkie mix dog attacked my right big toe today while I was napping. A quick thump to her head with my right middle finger sent her crying into her kennel. Could I have done that to a pit?

Edited by Got5onIt

In local news, my maltese/yorkie mix dog attacked my right big toe today while I was napping. A quick thump to her head with my right middle finger sent her crying into her kennel. Could I have done that to a pit?

Sure, correction is a necessary part of obedience training. I mean, you would have trained your pit, right?

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Disgusting - there's really no limit to what these horrible beasts will do

You dig this one back out of the "been there done that pile"?  Yes, it's the off season, but brining up all these old threads is even worse than uniform threads.  Just sayin......

I have been blaming Harry for trolling his own board just to up the hit count, but could it be others?

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 1