And the Denton Record Chronicle Wonders Why the Alumni of NT Hate Them

UNTLifer

And their beat writer gets limited access.

The paper is openly soliciting the dollars of OU fans yet they publish two crappy Letters to the Editor on September 8th, the date of the TSU home opener, about our program (Mr. Horrell's letter) and about the student fee (Mr. Kempner). I would link the letters but am posting from my phone. Anyway, it pisses me off that this crappy rag of a paper rarely supports North Texas or North Texas athletics. I know people are welcome to post their opinions, but publishing these on the day of the 2012 season opener is B.S. and just another shot at NT. Maybe Denton should get on board and solicit the business of the many alumni and student's parents that come in town for gameday a couple of weekends a year instead of the OU fans that would prefer to stay in Dallas but need another option.

When our fans have to post on here to find the best place to stay instead of having the town market to the entity that brings more people to town than anyone else, it is just sad and reinforces how Denton feels about NT athletics. I will step down now.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Thank you so much for this important topic that you posted. I wouldn't talk about it since i don't have much to say about that issue. This is need to be fixed as soon as possible and that topic you posted goes along with changing the culture here at North Texas. So changing the city culture and everything in the city including the news paper and the businesses in general is as important as changing the fans culture whether they are student, alum, or regular fan.

GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

You think the Austin paper, Bryan/College Station paper or the OKC paper writes about their home teams in an objective manner? Heck no!

I think, even though a newspaper is going the way of the dodo bird, that having a cheerleader as a sportswriter may ever-so-slightly help the community appreciate the Mean Green more and possibly come to the games. The power of persuasion!

I don't think that's going to happen though, and I don't think that is in Vito's job description.

• Upvote 3

Look, it's like the bully who likes to kick sand in the face of the 90 lb weakling. It's fun to pile on when a program is down, especially when a program has been down for the better part of 25 years.

Win. Beat some one that matters. Do that, and it's like punching that bully square in the nose, in so many different ways.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Look, it's like the bully who likes to kick sand in the face of the 90 lb weakling. It's fun to pile on when a program is down, especially when a program has been down for the better part of 25 years.

Win. Beat some one that matters. Do that, and it's like punching that bully square in the nose, in so many different ways.

I get your analogy, so this isn't a shot a you, but calling the DRC a bully makes me giggle. That paper is birdcage carpeting. What they say, or don't say, about us will never sway public opinion one way or the other. Denton is a Johnny come lately town and WILL jump onboard when the road is smooth...then promptly jump off when it's not. The newspaper used to house train their puppies won't affect that.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 4

You know, when I saw that in the DRC my first thought was not that the DRC was dismissing UNT, but rather how could we do this same sort of thing for UNT home games? How do we reach out as a city and community to our "out of town" teams to get them to see Denton as a place to come. Then it dawned on me that more OU fans pass through Denton to and from the Texas-OU game than any of our home football opponent crowd numbers...ever! I think Denton has a good idea here for our hotels, restaurants and entertainment venues to market Denton as a spot for OU fans to "stop and stay" during that weekend. Heck, I love to rack in Oklahoma dollars for the Denton city coffers...so, good for Denton in trying this.

NOW...Denton...how about a tad more effort in supporting the UNT games? Surely that doesn't take rocket science to try to do...and surly there is a bigger POTENTIAL audience right here in the metroplex for that base than the OU fan base. Why not just a little more effort in that as well?

So, for those of us who live here or near here...what are we going to do? Just post some comments on GMG.Com that the same folks will read, but no one will read that matters in this debate???? Or, shall we get in touch with the Denton Visitors and Convention Bureau and professionally and properly ask what they are going to do to promote Denton as a destination spot for the UNT home games? Telling them how much they "suck" in nasty letters and phone calls...well, that will get you what you deserve...NOTHING. But, perhaps a few gentle and professional phone calls and letters telling them their OU fan base idea is a good one, but have they also considered such support for the UNT games might just get them to thinking a bit.

Worth a try? What do you think? If it bothers folks enough to post here...shouldn't it be worth the effort to actually do something? Just asking.....what do you say? Should it be a concerted effort with a multiple signature letter...like "we support Denton as a UNT game destination" letter or what......who wants to lead here....

• Upvote 5

Just took a quick look at the link above, and lo and behold, they are promoting homecoming on the front page with this catchy ad:

UNT Homecoming

Nov 03, 2012

Fouts Field

Several events culminate into one big Mean Green celebration as Denton rounds up North Texas Eagles to cheer UNT Mean Green at the Homecoming game versus Arkansas State International.

I can't make this stuff up.

• Upvote 4

Hey...priceless! I think it says more about why newspapers are struggling to stay relavant these days than anything else. Where do they get folks like this who write such stuff?

The good news here is that it is in the paper! :jig: