Anyone know if the Ocean of Soul will be there?

island eagle

i don't think that you can compare the two bands...totally different approches...showmanship v musical emphasis. that's not to say that the gb can be showmans or that the tsu band is musically talented, it's just two totally different types of shows... it will be entertaining to see the contrast in styles

I heard GD mention on the live broadcast that TSU would be bringing their band. Didn't someone say that it was mentioned again at the coach's show?

If they are coming, the GB is going to lose the "showmanship" part of the competition.

Hey, why don't we all just sit back and enjoy what is going to happen with the two band's preformances.

Very seldom do we have an opposing team's band in attendance - and the Ocean of Soul will be a treat.

Why must everything be turned into a competition?

Relax and enjoy!

• Upvote 1

Hey, why don't we all just sit back and enjoy what is going to happen with the two band's preformances.

Very seldom do we have an opposing team's band in attendance - and the Ocean of Soul will be a treat.

Why must everything be turned into a competition?

Relax and enjoy!

Well, since it's taking place at a sporting event (and a very confrontational one at that), all participants (fans and bands) try to show their stuff and, lets be honest,..... best the other side.

In other words, this isn't a concert series at the armadillo, where everyone shows their appreciation with tennis applause (as the alumi side at NT did for so many years at Fouts).....it's a FOOTBALL GAME......IN TEXAS!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Fighting urge to start GB debate.... sdflasdfn must not sdfkl;sadfjsdjafjasdf debate....

No need to fight it. You've already stated that football games are little more than "lab" for the music education majors in the band, and (except for the actual music itself) bland is perfectly acceptable. That's not showmanship....that's a shuffling concert.

TSU is about to show our band what a college band is supposed to do at a FOOTBALL GAME IN TEXAS....or a football game anywhere else for that matter.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

No need to fight it. You've already stated that football games are little more than "lab" for the music education majors in the band, and (except for the actual music itself) bland is perfectly acceptable. That's not showmanship....that's a shuffling concert.

TSU is about to show our band what a college band is supposed to do at a FOOTBALL GAME IN TEXAS....or a football game anywhere else for that matter.

Exactly! Their drum majors are going to dance around on the field while the rest of the band plays at fff! No dynamics changes (who needs those, amiright?), plus, I'm going to finally get my tuba highlight (Bonus, the rest of the band will put their horns down and dance around)! I'm very much so looking forward to this show.

<sarcasm on>

This is exactly what every marching band in the state of Texas should do during their halftime shows. Can you imagine every nerdy kid at <Your School Here> High School gettin' down on the middle of a football field while all the cool kids are in the stands watching? LOL... no.

Not to mention, it will help tremendously when the spring semester concert season rolls around. The UIL gives extra points when the entire woodwind section puts their instruments down and gyrates to 16 bars of low brass riffs @ fff.

<sarcasm off>

If a high school in Texas were to enter the UIL marching competition and do something like what TSU, GSU, PVA&M, and other historical black colleges do, they would receive extremly low marks from judges. I've seen it happen.

The Green Brigade are a highly talented group of musicians who in most cases, God bless them, plan on teaching at Jr. High & High Schools. Just like getting a finance degree should prepare you for working at a financial institution and excelling there, the students in the Green Brigade should be educated to excel in their profession. So, while you piss & moan that you are not being entertained enough, they are learning how to write and execute drill for when they graduate and enter the workforce... and they perform it at a very high standard.

I don't have enough good things to say about the GB. My ONLY knock on them (and they're getting better every year) is their football acumen of when to play and when to keep quiet. I'm like the KRAM1 fan for the Green Brigade.

Go Green Brigade!

• Upvote 5

You ARE showing your age if you are quoting the West Texas logic of one Clayton Williams.

What was the other memorable line from Claytie?

Oh yeah: We always went across the border to get "serviced".

Good jab, adman. I laughed.

Didn't everyone?

1992 really? Your going to bring up a 20 year old issue. Didn't Simon get fired because our players were stealing vcr's out of the hotels?

Back to the real issue, the Ocean of Soul is an awesome name and it the only part of this game anyone should want to see.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1992 really? Your going to bring up a 20 year old issue. Didn't Simon get fired because our players were stealing vcr's out of the hotels?

Back to the real issue, the Ocean of Soul is an awesome name and it the only part of this game anyone should want to see.

I thought they stole towels. Really nice towels.

Hey man, I like the Ocean. It's just their week. No need to get defensive.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Actually I'll bring that up..... can you imagine if the Mean Green Brigade had stolen that many items and that many students were involved? Football players have always been FAR more reckless and juvenile than your average band-(insert cliche here). That is a huge scar on their band much like of recent with Florida A&M and what they will have to endure before people forget what happened there. People just don't expect a large scale shoplifting from a bunch of traveling collegiate band members.

Really? Shoplifting is the same as manslaughter. And I imagine if the Green Brigade had done this 20 years ago, we would have forgotten about it by now.

As for the bands, I'm for whichever band can play the theme to Shaft.

As for the football game, I don't care much for cupcake fcs games.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Really? Shoplifting is the same as manslaughter. And I imagine if the Green Brigade had done this 20 years ago, we would have forgotten about it by now.

As for the bands, I'm for whichever band can play the theme to Shaft.

As for the football game, I don't care much for cupcake fcs games.

Nope...its not even close. However if the shoplifting event happened with today's media and that it was international coverage i'd argue that it would get the same IF NOT MORE media coverage and bad pr