Anyone know if the Ocean of Soul will be there?

island eagle

Exactly! Their drum majors are going to dance around on the field while the rest of the band plays at fff! No dynamics changes (who needs those, amiright?), plus, I'm going to finally get my tuba highlight (Bonus, the rest of the band will put their horns down and dance around)! I'm very much so looking forward to this show.

<sarcasm on>

This is exactly what every marching band in the state of Texas should do during their halftime shows. Can you imagine every nerdy kid at <Your School Here> High School gettin' down on the middle of a football field while all the cool kids are in the stands watching? LOL... no.

Not to mention, it will help tremendously when the spring semester concert season rolls around. The UIL gives extra points when the entire woodwind section puts their instruments down and gyrates to 16 bars of low brass riffs @ fff.

<sarcasm off>

If a high school in Texas were to enter the UIL marching competition and do something like what TSU, GSU, PVA&M, and other historical black colleges do, they would receive extremly low marks from judges. I've seen it happen.

The Green Brigade are a highly talented group of musicians who in most cases, God bless them, plan on teaching at Jr. High & High Schools. Just like getting a finance degree should prepare you for working at a financial institution and excelling there, the students in the Green Brigade should be educated to excel in their profession. So, while you piss & moan that you are not being entertained enough, they are learning how to write and execute drill for when they graduate and enter the workforce... and they perform it at a very high standard.

I don't have enough good things to say about the GB. My ONLY knock on them (and they're getting better every year) is their football acumen of when to play and when to keep quiet. I'm like the KRAM1 fan for the Green Brigade.

Go Green Brigade!

Ok, so one band will go totally over the top in their quest to win the showmanship portion of half-time, whilst another will understate it.....BIG TIME.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Ok, so one band will go totally over the top in their quest to win the showmanship portion of half-time, whilst another will understate it.....BIG TIME.

Then I think the GB should march onto the field, lie down and play their entire show on their backs.

zig when the other guy zags.

• Upvote 3

This would surely be murder. I mean like OklahomaSt-VS-SavannahSt-like murder.

I'd like to think so. One of my fondest memories of the GB was during the Hayden Fry era when we were playing Lamar (1974). Lamar brought their band and during a time out in the second half the Lamar Band decided to play an old standard "I ain't got no body". Well they played it pretty straight and then the GB answered with the same song (I was impressed that they had such an old standard in their performance file) but they punched it up in places and pretty much gave the Lamar band a musical lesson. Well, the Lamar band decided that they would give it another go and show the GB that they were not the only band who could punch it up in places...their effort still didn't even come close. THEN the GB answered yet again, but this time while the Lamar band was playing their "punched up" version, the GB director "changed up" their presentation a bit (and doing it in just a few minutes). The GB then answered with their big-band version but just picking it up from the "I ain't got no body refrain" with a big "POW" sound, and finishing it up Count Basie style.

The Lamar Band finally realized who they had been trying to compete with. The North Texas band was toying with them and making them look like a Jr. High band. Lamar had essentially brought a pen-knife to a gun fight.

I long for those days. BTW, whilst typing this memory, I looked it up on the internet. 1974 was Maurice McAdow's last year as director of bands. That would explain a lot.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If a high school in Texas were to enter the UIL marching competition and do something like what TSU, GSU, PVA&M, and other historical black colleges do, they would receive extremly low marks from judges.

Most people at a football game don't really care about that fact (myself included).

As a musician, I respect the hell out of the Green Brigade. We have some of the greatest musicians in the world. No one would debate their musicianship. But we're not much for showmanship, and I think that's the point of the discussion.

I'd rather watch a TSU or a GSU... or even the AGGIE band over most others, any day of the week.

To your point, however, one of the reasons I say that is because it IS unique. If every band tried to emulate said style of performance, it would grow tiresome. I don't need the GB to do what TSU does. But I can definitely enjoy TSU for what they bring to the table!

• Upvote 2

I'd like to think so. One of my fondest memories of the GB was during the Hayden Fry era when we were playing Lamar (1974). Lamar brought their band and during a time out in the second half the Lamar Band decided to play an old standard "I ain't got no body". Well they played it pretty straight and then the GB answered with the same song (I was impressed that they had such an old standard in their performance file) but they punched it up in places and pretty much gave the Lamar band a musical lesson. Well, the Lamar band decided that they would give it another go and show the GB that they were not the only band who could punch it up in places...their effort still didn't even come close. THEN the GB answered yet again, but this time while the Lamar band was playing their "punched up" version, the GB director "changed up" their presentation a bit (and doing it in just a few minutes). The GB then answered with their big-band version but just picking it up from the "I ain't got no body refrain" with a big "POW" sound, and finishing it up Count Basie style.

The Lamar Band finally realized who they had been trying to compete with. The North Texas band was toying with them and making them look like a Jr. High band.

I long for those days. BTW, whilst typing this memory, I looked it up on the internet. 1974 was Maurice McAdow's last year as director of bands. That would explain a lot.

I would love to have been there for that.

I wish this type of thing would happen now-days. Instead, I think most opposing bands understand what would happen to them (as you described) if they decided to challenge. That, and most of our opponents don't travel their bands, so we don't have the chance anyway.

Most people at a football game don't really care about that fact (myself included).

As a musician, I respect the hell out of the Green Brigade. We have some of the greatest musicians in the world. No one would debate their musicianship. But we're not much for showmanship, and I think that's the point of the discussion.

I'd rather watch a TSU or a GSU... or even the AGGIE band over most others, any day of the week.

To your point, however, one of the reasons I say that is because it IS unique. If every band tried to emulate said style of performance, it would grow tiresome. I don't need the GB to do what TSU does. But I can definitely enjoy TSU for what they bring to the table!

Right. Watching the type of drill they do is reminiscent of high school, for sure. I believe the reigns are extremely tight on them and they could do so much more in the entertainment department, and probably would like to.

But, as has been explained by KalebSchuman before, the GB is used as a lab for these students. It is part of their curriculum. It's the antithesis of the Rice MOB, which is all volunteer. The MOB is there specifically to act a fool and entertain. The GB is there partly to entertain, but mostly for academic credit.

• Upvote 1

one year (95, 96, or 97) while i was in the GB, we kinda did that with new mexico state. they played the short mortal kombat theme, then we answered in 6/8, then they answered in a different style, then we did it polka style, etc...back and forth...it was pretty cool and entertaining for everyone!

• Upvote 1

The Lamar Band finally realized who they had been trying to compete with. The North Texas band was toying with them and making them look like a Jr. High band. Lamar had essentially brought a pen-knife to a gun fight.

Thanks, Silver for the memory rush. I was the conductor during this little bit of fun with Lamar. 1974 was the only year that Mr. McAdow did not direct the marching band. He left this to his grad assistant, Jim Hansford who later left to become director of bands and orchestras at Oklahoma Baptist University. As Hansford did not have an assistant, he selected me so I had a great time directing the music in the stands, pre-game and basketball games my entire senior year.

I have tried to stay away from this debate, but here I go again.

I have never met any serious musician that really enjoys marching band. Sure you have a good time and build lasting friendships but it is a detriment to becoming a first rate musician. The time is better spent in practice and performing in ensembles that do not cause damage to your embouchure, force you to bad performance technique, or even take you away from your primary instrument as it did with me. I am very fortunate to make my career in music. As the director of an opera company in New York City, I have heard hundreds of people audition for a spot in our orchestra. No one ever said to me after failing to win a spot, gosh, I wish I had spent more time in the marching band.

Today, most schools with music programs at the same level as North Texas go so far as to discourage music majors from participating in their marching bands. This is done at Michigan, Indiana, and Cincinnati to name a few. Marching band techniques are taught in a classroom to music ed majors. At North Texas, we make music ed majors play in the marching band, and given the lack of spirit on campus for the football team, its a good thing or else we would probably field a band of about 50!

Given the band is also a class, it stands to reason that we perform in the same styles as are done in the Texas secondary schools. I despise the corps styles as much as anyone but that is what is done in Texas secondary schools and that is what we need to be teaching our students if they are to have any chance at success after graduation.

And in Silver's defense, even using the corps style, we could mix things up a little (a lot!) but that feedback is appropriate for the director of the marching band, not the many hundreds of students who come to the campus a week early and spend about 15 hours a week in marching band activities in return for their one pitiful credit hour.

• Upvote 5

I love the GB and also appreciate what bands like TSU and Grambling bring to the table, but leave it up to a North Texas football board to reminisce about when our band beat up Lamar's band. I long for the day we talk about our team beating up on everyone around.

• Upvote 3

I love the GB and also appreciate what bands like TSU and Grambling bring to the table, but leave it up to a North Texas football board to reminisce about when our band beat up Lamar's band. I long for the day we talk about our team beating up on everyone around.

Well if it makes you feel any better, the football team kicked Lamar's ass 27-7.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, Silver for the memory rush. I was the conductor during this little bit of fun with Lamar. 1974 was the only year that Mr. McAdow did not direct the marching band. He left this to his grad assistant, Jim Hansford who later left to become director of bands and orchestras at Oklahoma Baptist University. As Hansford did not have an assistant, he selected me so I had a great time directing the music in the stands, pre-game and basketball games my entire senior year.

I have tried to stay away from this debate, but here I go again.

I have never met any serious musician that really enjoys marching band. Sure you have a good time and build lasting friendships but it is a detriment to becoming a first rate musician. The time is better spent in practice and performing in ensembles that do not cause damage to your embouchure, force you to bad performance technique, or even take you away from your primary instrument as it did with me. I am very fortunate to make my career in music. As the director of an opera company in New York City, I have heard hundreds of people audition for a spot in our orchestra. No one ever said to me after failing to win a spot, gosh, I wish I had spent more time in the marching band.

Today, most schools with music programs at the same level as North Texas go so far as to discourage music majors from participating in their marching bands. This is done at Michigan, Indiana, and Cincinnati to name a few. Marching band techniques are taught in a classroom to music ed majors. At North Texas, we make music ed majors play in the marching band, and given the lack of spirit on campus for the football team, its a good thing or else we would probably field a band of about 50!

Given the band is also a class, it stands to reason that we perform in the same styles as are done in the Texas secondary schools. I despise the corps styles as much as anyone but that is what is done in Texas secondary schools and that is what we need to be teaching our students if they are to have any chance at success after graduation.

And in Silver's defense, even using the corps style, we could mix things up a little (a lot!) but that feedback is appropriate for the director of the marching band, not the many hundreds of students who come to the campus a week early and spend about 15 hours a week in marching band activities in return for their one pitiful credit hour.

Thanks letsgiveacheer. After I looked at the date of the game, I knew this fun incident was probably being presided over by either Mr. McAdow or one of his trusted assistants. Thanks for the insights about how marching band can be hard on music majors.....especially the very talented ones. I guess Mr. McAdow didn't regard them as little hot house orchids like some of the others in the music dept.

You know, all I really want is for the band to make a grand entrance with a unique fanfare, and then some up-tempo marching for the initial fight song and march down the field. How friggin hard can that possibly be?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Current Director Nick Williams is regarded as one of the best marching band directors in the nation.. and if my memory serves me correct.. The Green Brigade gets a good amount of money by selling easier versions of the "mundane" "no showmanship" shows to high schools who in turn use them to compete at UIL.. if the Green Brigade went out there and played quarter notes while shaking their ass so you have something to entertain you while you buy nachos then no high school program would buy the show.. and the GB budget would take a significant financial hit.. something to think about

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1