New LB Commit Calvin Minor from Lewisville

You've called this young man and the young man from Paris "deep deep diamond in the rough kinda guys" and "Sun Belt projects." Have you seen either of these young men play? Have you talked to their coaches? Do you make your living evaluating football talent? Just trying to figure out how you decided these guys are such projects.

I take it all back. I'm glad they can run so fast! They will be great!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

Face/palm

Where did I say I wanted to be competing with OU/UT/LSU/TCU/Baylor/OK St????? I just don't agree with the mindset of zeroing in on deep project kids who barely played their junior year this early in the process. You talk like its either sign 3 star recruits over the likes of Big 12/SEC competition or little diamond in the rough kids no one else has heard of.

I hope the kid turns out great, maybe he will. From now on I'll just pretend to be thrilled with every new commit.

Bc if they're not a 3* then everyone acts as though it's an under the radar recruit and must be a diamond in the rough. AK47 only played special teams his jr year, he ended up ok. Please tell us what type of recruit that you want us to sign at this point? Just bc no one else had offered at this point means jack. Schools are just now starting to hold their camps since school is out, this is where a large majority of evaluations and offers are made.

I am underwhelmed at these selections. Not that I think that they'll fail it's just too early to be offering these athletes when there are proven athletes still available. Minor has played in five high school games; four of which he has started. He has height and speed but he does not have the weight nor do we know his quickness.

Speed works well on offense but on defense you also need to be quick. So while I'm impressed with his 220 time I can't tell if he was quick out of the blocks or he caught the field in the last twenty yards.

I would hope that moving up in conference would also allow us to move up in recruiting. These particular recruits would even be under Dickey's radar. The perception at this point is that we're not getting Duplessis, Hines or equals because if both accepted we'd be overstocked with linebackers. Even if both work out we are likely three years away from knowing their value.

I know that this combined board doesn't have a big fraction of the knowledge that our recruiting staff has but we have to sell donors and season ticket purchasers and a good way is to showcase our recruiting improvement. So far, we're not doing that. If these two are worthy keep them interested but offer them later.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I don't get the outrage. Signing day is still 9 months away and we are upset over our first two commits. If these two are projects, and there is no proof they are, then I think we are probably fine. We still have 23 more spots to fill with "highly rated" prospects.

These guys have yet to play their senior season. Maybe we could wait to call these bad decisions until they have played one game this season and we can see what they are capable of on the field. These two could both end up being much more highly regarded by time to sign on the line for a school, and it could very well be somewhere else, given how recruiting works. Then we can bitch and moan about how we lost some great prospects and the coaching staff can't close.

• Upvote 1

Face/palm

Do you follow recruiting? Like really really follow recruiting? Yes, it would be great to go up against the big boys, but it's not happening. Not now at least and not for several years down the road, if we produce on the field. Tell me, what do we have that would make a kid come to UNT over OU/UT/LSU/TCU/Baylor/OK St?????

Who in the hell, said anything about winning recruiting battles against the teams you named. Yes, I do follow recruiting; do you? At this point; I would be happy winning a few against the Tulsa, La Tech, and the like. I also wonder about reactions to almost anything mentioned that has to do with recruiting, if it isn't rave reviews. I stated both commits thus far were lightly recruiting but had great potential. What in that statement do you disagree with?

These are obviously players that Mc and company think can help the program. However, my comment was not related to them; as much as Mac overall recruiting to date; a lot of "under the radar", "hidden jewel", type of players. Nobody at this point knows if McCarney and Company are any better evaluating talent than the norm; that will take a couple of years. Maybe most of you didn't expect any better recruiting than early Dodge or Dickey; but I did. So far I have not seen that, maybe it will happen this year.

NT has a great new stadium, by far the highest paid football staff in history, and a new conference; factors that should help in recruiting. No, I don't expect NT to have success against the football powers or even SMU at this point but I do think they better start winning a lot of recruiting battles against their future and current conference mates. I am fairly consistent with my recruiting assessment, I have questioned a lot of classes and been told by many like you how wrong I am. Problem is that all those recruiting classes that have been raved about by many have resulted in a lot of poor teams.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

I am underwhelmed at these selections. Not that I think that they'll fail it's just too early to be offering these athletes when there are proven athletes still available. Minor has played in five high school games; four of which he has started. He has height and speed but he does not have the weight nor do we know his quickness.

Speed works well on offense but on defense you also need to be quick. So while I'm impressed with his 220 time I can't tell if he was quick out of the blocks or he caught the field in the last twenty yards.

I would hope that moving up in conference would also allow us to move up in recruiting. These particular recruits would even be under Dickey's radar. The perception at this point is that we're not getting Duplessis, Hines or equals because if both accepted we'd be overstocked with linebackers. Even if both work out we are likely three years away from knowing their value.

I know that this combined board doesn't have a big fraction of the knowledge that our recruiting staff has but we have to sell donors and season ticket purchasers and a good way is to showcase our recruiting improvement. So far, we're not doing that. If these two are worthy keep them interested but offer them later.

1. You sir have a much keener sense of tact than I.

2. How dare you question these two kid's awesomeness?

• Upvote 2

Who in the hell, said anything about winning recruiting battles against the teams you named. Yes, I do follow recruiting; do you? At this point; I would be happy winning a few against the Tulsa, La Tech, and the like. I also wonder about reactions to almost anything mentioned that has to do with recruiting, if it isn't rave reviews. I stated both commits thus far were lightly recruiting but had great potential. What in that statement do you disagree with?

These are obviously players that Mc and company think can help the program. However, my comment was not related to them; as much as Mac overall recruiting to date; a lot of "under the radar", "hidden jewel", type of players. Nobody at this point knows if McCarney and Company are any better evaluating talent than the norm; that will take a couple of years. Maybe most of you didn't expect any better recruiting than early Dodge or Dickey; but I did. So far I have not seen that, maybe it will happen this year.

NT has a great new stadium, by far the highest paid football staff in history, and a new conference; factors that should help in recruiting. No, I don't expect NT to have success against the football powers or even SMU at this point but I do think they better start winning a lot of recruiting battles against their future and current conference mates. I am fairly consistent with my recruiting assessment, I have questioned a lot of classes and been told by many like you how wrong I am. Problem is that all those recruiting classes that have been raved about by many have resulted in a lot of poor teams.

I agree.

Coach Mac was brought here to raise the level of the program, which means raising the level of talent. He has more to work with than any coach in UNT history, and can and will be considered a failure if he doesn't succeed at UNT (conference championships is what I am talking about.

That said, does that mean because his 1st two recruits of his second recruiting class are under the radar, he is a failure? Of course not. Will I be concerned if he doesn't get better talent in this recruiting class than last years recruiting class? Yes. Does it mean that I expect recruiting classes in CUSA to be MUCH better than our recruiting classes in the Belt? Yes sir. If not, we are in a world of 2-10 hurt.

I think we should all slow down and wait and see what the rest of this class brings.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4

I don't like how under-the-radar he seems, but if you're looking for a project guy...this is it.

You get a kid that can flat out fly, with a frame that can be filled up in college and IMO you have a recipe for big contributor down the line.

The biggest question mark for me is, how are his football "instincts"? Any one see this kid play that can vouch for his intangibles?

Excellent point! OLB is position that requires a player to read and react. Should be interesting to watch his performance during is senior year in high school. He seems to have the raw talent.
  • Upvote 1

No matter what you think of the two commits, I don't think this is a good sign. McCarney has much more to sell than any other NT staff. It is time to start winning some recruiting battles and not relying almost entirely on identifying the best of players available were there is little competition.

This is where I disagree. The kid from Paris just got invited to A&Ms upcoming camp with interest from others including SMU, Tulsa and Arkansas. Sometimes being first in is all it takes to get a kid, I don't see why we should wait for others to make an offer first.mdoesnt make much sense if you feel he is worthy of a ship. Tulsa has 5 commits thus far, three of which had no other offers yet are 3* recruits. We didn't offer any of their prospects. Rice has 0 commits, La Tech 1 commit, UTEP 1 commit. This is who were competiting against at this time. It would be nice to go against SMU, UH, and Baylor and win a recruiting battle but sadly that's not where we are at this point. So if you nd others want to say that after 2 recruits that this class is not looking good then be my guess. All I know is we haven't had many 6'3 LB's with blazing speed come through here lately.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

You can coach technique...you can't coach speed. You cannot turn a slow guy into a fast guy. You can turn a fast guy into a football player...anyone else remember Bob Hayes?

One reason the Mean green lost so many games in the last few years is that the team as a whole WAS SLOW! I mean real slow....so, give me a little speed and I'm thinking the rest Coach mac and Co. can take care of...no, I am not talking about a kid who cannot spell football and has no experience. You know what I mean here.

And, if you think Coach Mac and Co. is not going after the highly recruited guys as well...you are sadly mistaken. If anyone here thinks that after one year and a 5 win season that 4 & 5 star recruits are going to be flocking to UNT, you are NUTS! It's a process...UNT will get "left at the alter" more often than not right now with these highly rated guys, but UNT IS recruiting them...and that's a start. Just because UNT is now a CUSA team and that certainly does help...it will not open the flood gates to tons of 5 and 4 star guys! Patience grasshopper, patience. What I want is progress...positive progress and I saw that last year and I have seen that in spring ball this year...we'll see how the recruiting battles play out and we'll all get to judge success on the field.

I agree with most of this, but you can coach speed. I'm pretty slow right now but with the right coaching and workout regimen I could probably run a 10 second forty.

• Upvote 3

These kids may be world beaters, no one really knows that yet. They are under the radar type players from the simply fact that they have no other offers.

If they were demostrated world beaters, they would have lots of other offers.

That is the point.

• Upvote 4

If they were demostrated world beaters, they would have lots of other offers.

That is the point.

Well, they are under the radar right now, but there are lots of players every year who are under the radar after their junior year, but whose stocks rise considerably after their senior year. That is the point. Why don't we wait and see how they perform and who is interested next winter before crying about the sky falling. Conversely, the college ranks are filled every year with 3 and 4 star recruits who had great junior seasons, thereby drawing lots of interest, but who fizzle when they reach college. It is a little crazy to get too excited either way about a kid who hasn't even had his senior season yet.
  • Upvote 1

This is where I disagree. The kid from Paris just got invited to A&Ms upcoming camp with interest from others including SMU, Tulsa and Arkansas. Sometimes being first in is all it takes to get a kid, I don't see why we should wait for others to make an offer first.mdoesnt make much sense if you feel he is worthy of a ship. Tulsa has 5 commits thus far, three of which had no other offers yet are 3* recruits. We didn't offer any of their prospects. Rice has 0 commits, La Tech 1 commit, UTEP 1 commit. This is who were competiting against at this time. It would be nice to go against SMU, UH, and Baylor and win a recruiting battle but sadly that's not where we are at this point. So if you nd others want to say that after 2 recruits that this class is not looking good then be my guess. All I know is we haven't had many 6'3 LB's with blazing speed come through here lately.

You seem to read a lot into a post that isn't there. No one is projected that the class won't be great at this early time. Way to early to tell, but the trend since McCarney was hired is that NT continues to rely on recruits with few other options. Sure, McCarney and staff may have identified a couple of players that will turn in great senior seasons and have a lot of future offers. I hope that is true and they will stick with NT. My observation is that if the vast majority of your class is filled with this type of recruit, it demonstrates to me that NT has not significantly improved its recruiting. NT has signed some great players that didn't have other fb offers and also got a lot when they were 1aa. The problem is that unless the coaching staff is clairvoyant, it is unlikely they are gong to get enough good players to substantially elevate the program.

If you want an expert opinion, how about McCarney. He commented on how few NT players had any other offers when he arrived at NT. He apparently thinks that is a good barometer of how recruiting has gone.

NT has committed two tall lbs with speed; one was second team all district as a junior and one played sparingly last year. I think most uninterested observors would not be impressed. Most programs, I think would wait till they saw these players perform in their senior season before offering. Doesn't mean that NT isn't on to a couple of great players; but I think it does demonstrate that they are willing to take chances a lot of even peer programs would not.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Most programs, I think would wait till they saw these players perform in their senior season before offering. Doesn't mean that NT isn't on to a couple of great players; but I think it does demonstrate that they are willing to take chances a lot of even peer programs would not.

This is not the world of recruiting in this day and age. It's earlier and earlier every year. You can't wait to see how a kid does after his senior year, you do that and you have very little to chose from. Texas was the leader in the change and they've since fallen behind the curve in the fact that they don't offer kids who are 2 years out, they will change that very soon. They have too in order to keep up. Most programs in fact do not wait till they see kids perform in their senior seasons before offering. You have to get in early, and being in early or first means something to some kids. Kids have a good camp somewhere and offers start rolling in. It doesn't take long for a kid to go from 0 offers to 10. Why would you want to be offer number 6 if you knew what the kid had when he was still at 0? Take Andrew Billings for example, a DT out of Waco. We offered him, we were in fact one of the first if not the first to offer, and this was awhile ago. On April 5th he had 8 offers, including the NT offer by May 23 he had 19 and now on June 6th he has well surpassed that and just today received an offer from UT. You snooze you lose.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

This is not the world of recruiting in this day and age. It's earlier and earlier every year. You can't wait to see how a kid does after his senior year, you do that and you have very little to chose from. Texas was the leader in the change and they've since fallen behind the curve in the fact that they don't offer kids who are 2 years out, they will change that very soon. They have too in order to keep up. Most programs in fact do not wait till they see kids perform in their senior seasons before offering. You have to get in early, and being in early or first means something to some kids. Kids have a good camp somewhere and offers start rolling in. It doesn't take long for a kid to go from 0 offers to 10. Why would you want to be offer number 6 if you knew what the kid had when he was still at 0? Take Andrew Billings for example, a DT out of Waco. We offered him, we were in fact one of the first if not the first to offer, and this was awhile ago. On April 5th he had 8 offers, including the NT offer by May 23 he had 19 and now on June 6th he has well surpassed that and just today received an offer from UT. You snooze you lose.

You snooze you may lose, or you may offer a ship to someone that nobody else wants including NT after a less than stellar senior year. You look at NT past recruiting and it is very hard to make the case that the early commits or better or even equal to the ones committed in the last few weeks of recruiting. The coaching staff sees something in everyone they go after, the question in this case is do the coaches believe that these two linebackers are better prospects than a bunch of more higher rated players or are they just settling for someone down the list because that is were they currently are in recruiting. I don't know the answer to that and it is a question that no coach is going to truefully respond to if it is the later situation.

• Upvote 2

You snooze you may lose, or you may offer a ship to someone that nobody else wants including NT after a less than stellar senior year. You look at NT past recruiting and it is very hard to make the case that the early commits or better or even equal to the ones committed in the last few weeks of recruiting. The coaching staff sees something in everyone they go after, the question in this case is do the coaches believe that these two linebackers are better prospects than a bunch of more higher rated players or are they just settling for someone down the list because that is were they currently are in recruiting. I don't know the answer to that and it is a question that no coach is going to truefully respond to if it is the later situation.

It's really fairly simple.If Mac didn't want um, they wouldn't have been offered.

• Upvote 3

I LOVE to see these kids who run track. Since we are still in the phase of our progam's growth where we can't snag the kids who are already prototypical size and strength is it awesome to see us go out and get the one thing that you can't coach up or grow...speed!!!

Exactly. And that's how Houston did it many moon ago: smallish guys that were BURNERS. I'll take it.

I have no problem offering these very athletic players before their senior seasons. If they perform well then the coaches look great. If they perform horribly, then we pull the scholarship. It is really a no-lose situation. The good thing about football is that you get to see a player play their entire senior year before singning day.

I have no problem offering these very athletic players before their senior seasons. If they perform well then the coaches look great. If they perform horribly, then we pull the scholarship. It is really a no-lose situation. The good thing about football is that you get to see a player play their entire senior year before singning day.

Not many programs get away with the tactic you are suggesting. It is done but seldom unless there is a coaching change. Why would any player commit to a school that would not honor their own word? In general, players get away with not honoring their commitments; colleges do not.

• Upvote 1

OK H-town ---

I thought we made it very clear that you were only supposed to react based on the “OMG the sky is falling and Coach Mac has no Clue”. All kidding aside, SYSTEMS take time to implement. Coach seems to have the belief that we need SPEED. Now how much does the balance between speed and “proven” skills need to be weighed at this time – I have no idea; but I will have faith in Coach Mac and crew.

Another area that I think some are overplaying (for now) – We just got invited to C-USA and the (hopeful) benefit of that is not going to be overnight. Remember we are not the only ones who just stepped up. TCU, SMU, and UTSA along with the Mean Green have a better home to sell.

Last thing. I believe that Coach Mac is respected enough that these two commitments will need to be continually worked on. If they turn out to be good choices then just as was the case last year others will try and pick off our recruits.

• Upvote 2