Plano coaches caravan and tidbits

LakeTravis

Jimmerson is his offensive to look out for this season.

i'm feeling the same way after watching a few of his cuts behind the line in the spring game. is it bad that i have such a good feeling about our line, receivers, and stable of QB's to compliment the running game this season? I know i'm crazy to think our secondary is our "only" weakness in the belt after watching the past half decade of unt football... i'm just unreasonably comfortable with our current staff and players. i know we will miss Bowen at DC but im going to continue to believe that Mac will guide us to another improved season.

thanks for the great post LT!

• Upvote 3

Great report LT. I didn't remember half of what you did and I didn't have any margaritas. Maybe that's why.

I do recall two other running backs that Coach Mac was also high on...Jeremy Brown and one I'm not familiar with whose name was Burk.

All four of the coaches that spoke were high energy and somehow I just felt that this going to be an exceptional year. Football and basketball coach praised their staffs and I couldn't agree more. If you didn't come away from the caravan pumped then you can't get enthused about anything.

• Upvote 2

I just got back from the coaches caravan over at park place Lexus.

Forgive me for forgetting names, the open bar and Mean Green Margaritas were great stuff.

The President of Park Place Lexus is a former UNT QB under Frye who is reaching back to the program.

Amazing host and great store.

The event put on was amazing from the food, bar and DJ with drummer was great stuff.

Rick V opened up and filled in as host in-between coaches.

He is a class act and cracked jokes left and right.

Commenting on the new CUSA shirts handed out saying please don't wear these shirts this upcoming season.

"We are going out as a class act and we are leaving, YES WE ARE LEAVING!"

Football

Coach Dan opened up and is so passionate.

we honestly have the best coaches in the country and I wouldn't trade all the Coach K's and Bear Bryants for what we have now after tonight.

-All the players besides 1 scholarship athlete received above a 2.0 this semester. the 1 is still eligible.

-*when Dan first interviewed all the players when he arrived, 50 players only had 1 division offer and that was UNT.

He said that is going to change and the philosophy of who we go after.

Akunne is his defensive guy to look out for.

CUSA will really benefit us in recruiting and rivalries

Womens BBall

Mike Peterson

I can't say enough about this guy, I got to have a 20 min conversation with him before everything started.

I first got to thank him for coming here because what he was leaving behind at Wake Forest is an amazing accomplishment.

He reiterated that we really need the practice facilities, overall what we have as athletics is on par of the top universitys in the Pac-12, ACC, Big 10 but having that continuity and selling point to recruit will really help the program.

My buddy asked him, would you rather have a practice facility or renovations to the super pit?

"We only use the super pit on game days, we use the practice facilities around campus every day"

"Not only will that improve us but it will help sell the recruits. recruits like nice new shiny things but we have the bare necessitates, we just need the place to call home."

-We will have home games vs Arizona, Texas State, UT-Arlington. Away @ Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arkansas*

Practices will have two shot clocks. One for 30 seconds(shot clock for women's bball) and one for 3sec.

"if we get a rebound, I want the ball in the front court within 3 sec. If we dont its a turnover to me."

"I told the ladies, I want to play fast, my fast is faster than your fast. If you come to our open practices, sit high up because balls are going to be flying until they adjust to the tempo."

Tennis

The head Tennis coach made a quick appearance.

-Team GPA was 3.6!

-we never have beat TCU in 45+ years of competition and we almost beat them this year but because of rain, we never got to finish competition.

Great guy and quite the comedian.

Sounds like they are on the verge of signing him to a long-term contract.

over 500 were on hand to watch them win the SBC championship

Mens BBall

Tony Benford

If you had any doubts from the press conference on him as a public speaker, NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND!

He got everyone up in a circle and gave the most powerful speech of the night.

Opening up with a story that will SHOCK you all and prove how much of an influence he has on the players.

He had 2 weeks to work out the players and get to know them.

One of the first practices, two showed up late.

Benford told one of the guys, i know you're 5 mins late but you cant practice today.

When you need to be somewhere, especially practice, i EXPECT YOU TO BE THERE, or else you are letting the rest of the team down.

That player apologized and asked what can I do coach?

Benford allowed that player to stay but he had to give 100 touches. motivating his teammates under the basket.

After he did 100 touches, he asked coach, what can i workout now?

Benford walked this player across the street to Fouts and asked him to run 5 miles. This will be you're workout.

This player was Tony Mitchell.

He sat down with Tony and his mother and showed him what his strengths and weaknesses are.

"When you get drafted next year and Doc Rivers gives me a call, its not going to be about any tardiness, dribbling off the ball.

Apparently Benford is close friends with Doc Rivers

He believes he will get Tony to the next level and we will not recognize this team next year.

He went down the roster next year and confirmed UDOH and Forrest are gone

Udoh has academic issues and will not be joining the team.

Forrest LEFT the team after not panning out after the workouts.

ALL the players will be eligible this Fall!!!!!

This brought a huge applause from the crowd, SO YES!!!! Chris Jones, Justin Patton and Jordan Williams are GOOD TO GO!

No word yet on scheduling, still in the works but he is not afraid to bring in any team to the super pit. SMU most likely wont want to play us. lol

Feel free to ask me any questions, there is more i will add later once I can remember but this was GREAT event.

If you get a chance, go to the last show in Fort Worth.

The coaches genuinely appreciate all the support we give them.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Excellent report!! What a great night

!

Great report LT. I didn't remember half of what you did and I didn't have any margaritas. Maybe that's why.

I do recall two other running backs that Coach Mac was also high on...Jeremy Brown and one I'm not familiar with whose name was Burk.

All four of the coaches that spoke were high energy and somehow I just felt that this going to be an exceptional year. Football and basketball coach praised their staffs and I couldn't agree more. If you didn't come away from the caravan pumped then you can't get enthused about anything.

It was Brandon Byrd that Coach Mac mentioned along with Jimmerson and Brown. He also stated that Akunne had 16 tackles in the spring game, that's pretty impressive.

The Tony Mitchell story floored me but it shows Benford is not gonna play any favorites. RV stepped in and said that it happened the weekend before Tony could have declared for the draft & he still didn't go. Benford also did his Matt Simon impression by saying he wanted to play SMU in a parking lot somewhere in shirts and skins since they refused to play us in a real game.

Edited by Marty
  • Upvote 3

Great report...thanks so much. Sorry to miss the Plano event as Jordan case ALWAYS puts on a great show...quality guy, quality auto shop!

Hey, one thing...and I have seen it several times in GMG.Com postings...It's "Fry"...not "Frye" when discussing former UNT great HC Hayden Fry. I know some of the "younger folks" here were not around during those great Fry days, so, no problem, but wanted to set the record straight for those who just don't know.

Coach Benford did not name the late player at the Denton event, so good to know who it was and how it came to happen. This should set the tone for the team and should help Tony and his teammates KNOW that Coach Benford is serious. I like this guy more and more every day...we can all hope the on-court results are just as to our liking. I'm thinking they will be.

Great to get the confirmation that ALL players will be eligible in the Fall...let's hope they stay that way and that "lessons were learned"! Go Coach Benford!

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I'm worried about the secondary and then the defensive line.

Speaking of Akunne ... I wonder if he'll move outside. He's kinda stuck on the second team in the middle and he has the size to play outside.

I wonder how Skladeny is going to get both on the field at the same time. I'm not sure that Akunne has the height to play the outside but he sure has the speed. He's a sub 4.6. Almost a carbon copy of AK47. Maybe defensive end?

• Upvote 1

I just got back from the coaches caravan over at park place Lexus.

Forgive me for forgetting names, the open bar and Mean Green Margaritas were great stuff.

The President of Park Place Lexus is a former UNT QB under Frye who is reaching back to the program.

Amazing host and great store.

The event put on was amazing from the food, bar and DJ with drummer was great stuff.

Rick V opened up and filled in as host in-between coaches.

He is a class act and cracked jokes left and right.

Commenting on the new CUSA shirts handed out saying please don't wear these shirts this upcoming season.

"We are going out as a class act and we are leaving, YES WE ARE LEAVING!"

Football

Coach Dan opened up and is so passionate.

we honestly have the best coaches in the country and I wouldn't trade all the Coach K's and Bear Bryants for what we have now after tonight.

-All the players besides 1 scholarship athlete received above a 2.0 this semester. the 1 is still eligible.

-*when Dan first interviewed all the players when he arrived, 50 players only had 1 division offer and that was UNT.

He said that is going to change and the philosophy of who we go after.

Akunne is his defensive guy to look out for.

CUSA will really benefit us in recruiting and rivalries

Womens BBall

Mike Peterson

I can't say enough about this guy, I got to have a 20 min conversation with him before everything started.

I first got to thank him for coming here because what he was leaving behind at Wake Forest is an amazing accomplishment.

He reiterated that we really need the practice facilities, overall what we have as athletics is on par of the top universitys in the Pac-12, ACC, Big 10 but having that continuity and selling point to recruit will really help the program.

My buddy asked him, would you rather have a practice facility or renovations to the super pit?

"We only use the super pit on game days, we use the practice facilities around campus every day"

"Not only will that improve us but it will help sell the recruits. recruits like nice new shiny things but we have the bare necessitates, we just need the place to call home."

-We will have home games vs Arizona, Texas State, UT-Arlington. Away @ Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arkansas*

Practices will have two shot clocks. One for 30 seconds(shot clock for women's bball) and one for 3sec.

"if we get a rebound, I want the ball in the front court within 3 sec. If we dont its a turnover to me."

"I told the ladies, I want to play fast, my fast is faster than your fast. If you come to our open practices, sit high up because balls are going to be flying until they adjust to the tempo."

Tennis

The head Tennis coach made a quick appearance.

-Team GPA was 3.6!

-we never have beat TCU in 45+ years of competition and we almost beat them this year but because of rain, we never got to finish competition.

Great guy and quite the comedian.

Sounds like they are on the verge of signing him to a long-term contract.

over 500 were on hand to watch them win the SBC championship

Mens BBall

Tony Benford

If you had any doubts from the press conference on him as a public speaker, NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND!

He got everyone up in a circle and gave the most powerful speech of the night.

Opening up with a story that will SHOCK you all and prove how much of an influence he has on the players.

He had 2 weeks to work out the players and get to know them.

One of the first practices, two showed up late.

Benford told one of the guys, i know you're 5 mins late but you cant practice today.

When you need to be somewhere, especially practice, i EXPECT YOU TO BE THERE, or else you are letting the rest of the team down.

That player apologized and asked what can I do coach?

Benford allowed that player to stay but he had to give 100 touches. motivating his teammates under the basket.

After he did 100 touches, he asked coach, what can i workout now?

Benford walked this player across the street to Fouts and asked him to run 5 miles. This will be you're workout.

This player was Tony Mitchell.

He sat down with Tony and his mother and showed him what his strengths and weaknesses are.

"When you get drafted next year and Doc Rivers gives me a call, its not going to be about any tardiness, dribbling off the ball.

Apparently Benford is close friends with Doc Rivers

He believes he will get Tony to the next level and we will not recognize this team next year.

He went down the roster next year and confirmed UDOH and Forrest are gone

Udoh has academic issues and will not be joining the team.

Forrest LEFT the team after not panning out after the workouts.

ALL the players will be eligible this Fall!!!!!

This brought a huge applause from the crowd, SO YES!!!! Chris Jones, Justin Patton and Jordan Williams are GOOD TO GO!

No word yet on scheduling, still in the works but he is not afraid to bring in any team to the super pit. SMU most likely wont want to play us. lol

Feel free to ask me any questions, there is more i will add later once I can remember but this was GREAT event.

If you get a chance, go to the last show in Fort Worth.

The coaches genuinely appreciate all the support we give them.

GO MEAN GREEN!

KRAM is right, it's Fry not Frye. I forgot that the event was being held at Park Place Lexus because I would have loved to have met and talked with my favorite QB of all time......Jordan Case. I have said this before, but for all the young fans out there, Jordan Case was the original Scott Hall. He was a fearless warrior on the field, and the undisputed leader of the team. After playing Canadian Football, he eventually got started in the car business as a salesman, and is now the President Park Place Lexus. I am delighted that he is giving back to his old Alma Mater in such a big way.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I wonder how Skladeny is going to get both on the field at the same time. I'm not sure that Akunne has the height to play the outside but he sure has the speed. He's a sub 4.6. Almost a carbon copy of AK47. Maybe defensive end?

Defensive end is interesting. That was discussed a bit when he signed. You can have a short outside linebacker in a 4-3 ... at least on most 4-3's. If he's ready I hope they do find a way to get him on the field.

• Upvote 1

Defensive end is interesting. That was discussed a bit when he signed. You can have a short outside linebacker in a 4-3 ... at least on most 4-3's. If he's ready I hope they do find a way to get him on the field.

As good as Akunne is/can be, he's going to have a hard time seeing alot of playing time with Orr in front of him.

• Upvote 1

I was sad to see Bowen go, but looking at Skladeny's skins it is hard not to get excited. Give this guy a chance and we may see something better than what Clint did.

And I can't put my finger on why, but I think Jimmerson is one of the best names for a skill position guy I've ever seen. Love it.

• Upvote 2

KRAM is right, it's Fry not Frye. I forgot that the event was being held at Park Place Lexus because I would have loved to have met and talked with my favorite QB of all time......Jordan Case. I have said this before, but for all the young fans out there, Jordan Case was the original Scott Hall. He was a fearless warrior on the field, and the undisputed leader of the team. After playing Canadian Football, he eventually got started in the car business as a salesman, and is now the President Park Place Lexus. I am delighted that he is giving back to his old Alma Mater in such a big way.

Jordan Case WAS something else, wasn't he Silver?

Lets' see if I remember - and tell me if I am wrong - out of Seagoville High School and then transferred to NTSU from Sul Ross. He was a transfer who DID pan out for the Mean Green!

He and Fry were quite the tandem. Those were really "heady" days for the Mean Green - days that the "youngsters" on this board can only dream about for their alma mater. But I am getting the feeling that similar days are just ahead of us.

GMG

• Upvote 2

He and Fry were quite the tandem. Those were really "heady" days for the Mean Green - days that the "youngsters" on this board can only dream about for their alma mater. But I am getting the feeling that similar days are just ahead of us.

GMG

Fry dreamed of bowl games. Just sayin'....and just teasin'. :)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Fry dreamed of bowl games. Just sayin'....and just teasin'. :)

Yeah, I know - and I appreciate the teasin' - but then remember in those "heady" days there were not 35 or so bowls - and the New Orleans bowl was not even a twinkle in New Orlean's eye, much less ours.

But might I also suggest that the UT games in the Fry years (and I am not referring to The University of Tennessee) played the role of bowl games for little ole NTSU - and the Mean Green played far better against UT than expected in those soon-to-end days of better administrative support (Jitter Nolen) for athletics.

GMG

• Upvote 2

The waitresses supported UT and ATM by wearing their T-shirts the few times i went there. I even offered, on this board, to buy everyone that worked there a NT t-shirt but wasn't taken up on the offer. Never really liked that place anyway.

I quit going to the Pourhouse and won't be back.

• Upvote 2

Few may know but the Rudy's in Waco refused to cater the UNT tailgate the last time we played BU in Waco. The Denton Rudy's packed up all their food and supplies and catered that function driving 100+ miles to do so. Come to the Monday night shows beginning on Labor Day to support NT fb and support Rudy's Denton for all they do. You'll see plenty of North Texas gear there too.

• Upvote 2

Few may know but the Rudy's in Waco refused to cater the UNT tailgate the last time we played BU in Waco. The Denton Rudy's packed up all their food and supplies and catered that function driving 100+ miles to do so. Come to the Monday night shows beginning on Labor Day to support NT fb and support Rudy's Denton for all they do. You'll see plenty of North Texas gear there too.

:thumbsu::goodjob:

• Upvote 1