Per Brett McMurphy: Boise St. May Now Be Reconsidering Big East

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/19011713/boise-state-might-be-having-second-thoughts-about-big-east

"An industry source told CBSSports.com that Mountain West representatives met with Boise State officials earlier this week to persuade the Broncos to remain in the MWC."

Seems more from the MWC folks than BSU, though, but BSU officials could have told the MWC officials to stay home--not interested. BSU is in an obvious pickle with their minor varisty sports and finding a place for them to land.

I think the NCAA of today has become the collegiate version of a Chinese fire drill. It's sad.

GMG!

• Upvote 6

• Should Boise State choose to stay in the MWC, most certainly San Diego State will follow suit.

• http://sports.yahoo.com/news/boise-state-bye-bye-big-east-fan-reaction-133400389--ncaaf.html

Now all of this instability has Boise State thinking twice about their move to the east coast. Furthermore, San Diego State has their own concerns and rumors are the Aztecs are looking for alternatives too. The troubles aren't so much the football programs and what, who and where they would play but just as important, where do the other sports go? Boise State was going to move their 'Olympic' sports as they're called, to the WAC. But the WAC looks finished.

• Upvote 1

http://www.cbssports...-about-big-east

"An industry source told CBSSports.com that Mountain West representatives met with Boise State officials earlier this week to persuade the Broncos to remain in the MWC."

Seems more from the MWC folks than BSU, though, but BSU officials could have told the MWC officials to stay home--not interested. BSU is in an obvious pickle with their minor varisty sports and finding a place for them to land.

I think the NCAA of today has become the collegiate version of a Chinese fire drill. It's sad.

GMG!

I will give you a high five because this is the first post of yours that I have been able to read in one sitting. Well done!

• Upvote 6

don't be surprised if Houston, SMU, UCF, & Memphis stay in CUSA and CUSA may withdrawl their offer to Old Dominion

I don't think they have and automatic return to the C-USA. UCF and Memphis may wish to stay in the Big East for basketball. Remember Boise State never formally left the MWC! They haven't signed the divorce papers. This why the MWC has kept their 11th and 12th slots open. I could see the C-USA inviting back Memphis and Houston to the C-USA, SMU offers very little value to the C-USA; now that the conference has added UNT. Memphis is a large media market and would be a nice addition to ODU, Charlotte and UNT in Basketball. Houston has an emerging football program. Additionally, by adding Memphis and Houston, you're adding one team to the east and one team to the west.

But what value is SMU? The only reason they were invited to the East was to be a regional playmate for Houston and are the Dallas media market, neither of which the C-USA needs.

Edited by Mark Gommesen
  • Upvote 5

Thought this was an interesting line from the ESPN article:

But take Louisville and Connecticut out, and, according to the Big East source, "the whole thing implodes. Then the basketball schools will be reactive, rather than proactive."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/7911263/big-east-begins-search-new-commissioner-important-issues-unresolved

• Upvote 1

I doubt the league would want to sit at 17 members. They may not be interested in ODU at that point, but they would probably grab someone.

18 teams would allow you to establish a six team pod structure. Interesting. But, any way you slice it, that's a power conference.

The Big South Conference

Rice

Houston

UNT

UTEP

UTSA

SMU

ODU

EC

Charlotte

Memphis

Marshall

Tulsa

FIU

UCF

UAB

So Miss

Tulane

La Tech

Or traditional divisions,

Rice

Houston

UNT

UTEP

UTSA

SMU

Tulsa

Tulane

La Tech

ODU

EC

Charlotte

Memphis

Marshall

FIU

UCF

UAB

So Miss

Edited by Mark Gommesen

Former Big 12 acting commissioner Chuck Neinas told USA Today Monday that the Big East is no longer a power conference, and consequently, shouldn't be paid like one.

There you have it.

I really like our new conference home. Conference USA. I'm going to go out and buy some new curtains.

• Upvote 1

18 teams would allow you to establish a six team pod structure. Interesting. But, any way you slice it, that's a power conference.

The Big South Conference

Rice

Houston

UNT

UTEP

UTSA

SMU

ODU

EC

Charlotte

Memphis

Marshall

Tulsa

FIU

FCC

UAB

So Miss

Tulane

La Tech

Or traditional divisions,

Rice

Houston

UNT

UTEP

UTSA

SMU

Tulsa

Tulane

La Tech

ODU

EC

Charlotte

Memphis

Marshall

FIU

FCC

UAB

So Miss

Big South is a horrible name. No thanks.

• Upvote 2

Just airing on the side of caution, CUSA can't rescend their offer to NT IF SMUt came back, can they?

Asuming we still have our place at the CUSA table, I'm torn. Part of me wants $MUt to come back so we can play them and knock them down, and part of me would take immense joy in seeing them scramble for a home.

• Upvote 2

1. Boise and SDSU in the MWC to get to 12 would be awesome.

2. The return of Houston, SMU, USF, UCF and Memphis would be cool.

3. What is FCC.

4. No one is going to a three division system

5. As I was informed by the human resources department "Chinese Fire drill" is a degrogratory term that implies Asians aren't smart and would run back in to a burning building

• Upvote 1

5. As I was informed by the human resources department "Chinese Fire drill" is a degrogratory term that implies Asians aren't smart and would run back in to a burning building

but not until running around said building first...

• Upvote 2