Per Brett McMurphy: Boise St. May Now Be Reconsidering Big East

In some said small Texas towns when a car full of us teens came to a stop sign at a "not very busy" said intersection someone would yell out CHINESE FIRE DRILL! Then everyone in said car would get out of the car, run around said car and jump back inside the car. (Not very much else to do is said Small Town, Texas). Upon further research for that said intersection, I have found out through my sources that the Peoples Republic of (Red) China now owns said intersection in Small Town, Texas, and all the land around it....................(but not for too much longer).

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I would welcome SMU and Houston back with open arms!

Agreed. If the Big East imploded bringing back in teams like Houston and SMU would only make football stronger and increase market share in Houston and Dallas.

It would be great if C-USA could bring UCF and USF back in as well, assuming the Big East is no more. The conference would cover every major market in two of the four largest states in the country, and would create a series of solid intra-state rivalries.

• Upvote 2

If the B.E. falters and as posted by another, SMU and UH will fight tooth and toenail to avoid coming back to CUSA. They will perceive such a move as that as losing too much face. Those 2 schools could very selfishly ask several other schools to lose all their finanical credits in other conferences (no matter how much) joining them to re-form another version of CUSA or what could be better for all of us concerned IMO if they did not return to CUSA............the MWC will accept them like that conference's plans were before those 2 Texas schools went to the Big East, but how much room will the MWC have if SDSU and Boise return to it?

If that were to happen, North Texas would still be better off than where we were only if we can retain a few Texas and regional rivals which we did not have in the Sun Belt Conference. We were on an island much like Texas State will be and to a certain extent, ECU is in CUSA.

If some schools would just accept the fact that they are not going to get in the Big 12 any time soon and just get back with CUSA as is, this consortium could eventually be a TV revenue-drawing juggernaut, but it they want their continued pride and living in the past to rule their day the impending financial destruction of a non-fan supported athletic program will be forth-coming IMHO.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

If the B.E. falters and as posted by another, SMU and UH will fight tooth and toenail to avoid coming back to CUSA. They will perceive such a move as that as losing too much face. Those 2 schools will most likely very selfishly ask several other schools to lose all their finanical credits in other conferences (no matter how much) joining them to re-form another version of CUSA or better for all of us concerned IMO............the MWC will accept them like they that conference's plans were before those 2 went to the Big East, but how much room will the MWC have if SDSU and Boise return to it?

If that were to happen, North Texas would still be better off than where we were only if we can retain a few Texas and regional rivals which we did not have in the Sun Belt Conference. We were on an island much like Texas State will be and to a certain extent, ECU is in CUSA.

If some schools would just accept the fact that they are not going to get in the Big 12 any time soon and just get back with CUSA as is, this consortium could eventually be a TV revenue-drawing juggernaut, but it they want their continued pride and living in the past to rule their day the impending financial destruction of a non-fan supported athletic program will be forth-coming IMHO.

GMG!

Here is the thing, if the BE implodes, then it doesn't benefit SMU and Houston to go to the MWC. Why would they go? Boise? With Boise and Nevada you're still looking at a fairly weak strength of schedule. However, C-USA would likely absorb UCF and USF, and there is a good chance that Cinci would need to find a home, and the B1G is probably only interested in Rutgers. Top to bottom that creates a stronger conference than the MWC, which makes it more likely that if you run the table you get one of those coveted playoff spots.

• Upvote 2

1. Boise and SDSU in the MWC to get to 12 would be awesome.

2. The return of Houston, SMU, USF, UCF and Memphis would be cool.

3. What is FCC.

4. No one is going to a three division system

5. As I was informed by the human resources department "Chinese Fire drill" is a degrogratory term that implies Asians aren't smart and would run back in to a burning building

Thanks Shaft.The six team pod, might be used for scheduling or in anticipation of a MWC merger. Primarily I was thinking of regional media markets. FCC should be UCF.

Edited by Mark Gommesen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

18 teams would allow you to establish a six team pod structure. Interesting. But, any way you slice it, that's a power conference.

The Big South Conference

Rice

Houston

UNT

UTEP

UTSA

SMU

ODU

EC

Charlotte

Memphis

Marshall

Tulsa

FIU

FCC

UAB

So Miss

Tulane

La Tech

Or traditional divisions,

Rice

Houston

UNT

UTEP

UTSA

SMU

Tulsa

Tulane

La Tech

ODU

EC

Charlotte

Memphis

Marshall

FIU

FCC

UAB

So Miss

I don't want to be in an all Texas division. I like some in state rivals but not every team. Give me Tulsa and LA schools.

• Upvote 2

Once again human resources in it's rush to be politically correct. is misinformed. The phrase originated in the early 1900s. It came from a naval incident where a ship commanded by the British and crewed by the Chinese set up a fire drill for a fire in the engine room. In the event of a fire the crew was to draw water from the starboard side, take it to the engine room and throw it on the fire. Another crew in the engine room was to take the thrown water and throw it over the port side [i.e. pump it out, then throw it overboard, to prevent flooding].

When the drill was called the first moments went according to plan then it got confused. The crew began drawing the water from the starboard side and running over to the port side and throwing the water over, by-passing the the engine room completely.

Thus the expression “Chinese Fire Drill” entered our lexicon as meaning a large confused action by individuals accomplishing nothing.

That may well be the origin of the term "Chinese Fire Drill" but on the streets of Corsicana, as well as Irving, in the early to mid-60s - both cities I lived in prior to high school graduation - Plumm's explanation was exactly what a Chinese Fire Drill was by those of us who were participants.

They might be cool with it, seeing as how they think their name/brand can hold a candle to ND?

This question would answer itself if you walked into a typical SMU football or basketball game and saw their "crowd," or the lack thereof. They are no ND. But I still hope they are delusional enough to go independent. That would be fun to watch.

54 million reasons why Memphis, UCF, SMU and Houston will not be returning to the C-USA.

I thought it might be interesting to try to estimate what it might cost Memphis, UCF, SMU and Houston to return to the C-USA. Remember, Houston, Southern Methodist, UCF and Memphis have formally withdrawn from the C-USA.

C-USA alone will realize $6.63 million apiece from Memphis, UCF, SMU and Houston when they leave to join the Big East after the 2013 basketball season, according to C-USA assistant commissioner for public affairs Courtney Morrison-Archer.

That will produce a sum of $26,520,000 to be split between the eight remaining members.

http://www.herald-di...erger-for-C-USA

The expected financial windfall to the C-USA from departing schools was one the major reasons why the MWC/CUSA merger was postponed. Clearly, the remaining schools will want their money.

The Broncos have signed a contract to join the Big East so they would have to pay a $5 million exit fee if they did not join the Big East before July 1, 2013. If the Broncos leave the Big East on or after July 1, 2013, they must provide 27 months notice and pay a $10 million exit fee.

http://www.cbssports...-about-big-east

It is save to assume that Memphis, UCF, SMU and Houston have the same exit fee provison in their contracts with the Big East. Each school will have pay at least $5,000,000 a piece.

The C-USA entrance fee is $2 million, according to Tech athletic director Bruce Van De Velde, who was in town on Friday night at the Bossier Civic Center for the Northwest Louisiana Tech Advancement Group's Tech & Tails V celebration.

http://www.shrevepor...C-USA-entry-fee

For C-USA to realize the major windfall of $26,520,000, the conference would have to take the postion that these schools have formally exited the conference and are subject to exit fees and forfeitures of other funds. If they wish to once again enter the conference, they would be subject to the conference by-laws requiring a the payment of $2,000,000 fee for new entrants.

Total cost for team to return to the C-USA $13.63 million, a grand total of $54.32 million for all four teams.

Edited by Mark Gommesen

I doubt the league would want to sit at 17 members. They may not be interested in ODU at that point, but they would probably grab someone.

I think that they will be interested in ODU until the Monarchs say no. They've already taken FCS UTSA and Charlotte, why not take a program with a lot of potential upside? If I have a concern about ODU it's the distance from eleven of the members. Of course, FIU is worse.

• Upvote 1