Ernie Kuehne to play key role in push for basketball practice facility

Harry

Ernie Kuehne, a former UNT athlete and one of the athletic department's biggest financial backers, will help guide the school's push to add a basketball practice facility.

Kuehne donated $1 million to the UNT athletic department in the spring of 2011 and has been heavily involved with the program over the last several years.

"It isn't whether we want to do it," Kuehne said this spring of building a practice facility. "It's something we have to do to be successful." Kuehne said he plans to support the project financially.

UNT plays at the UNT Coliseum, also known as the Super Pit. The Mean Green also conducts most of its practices at the venue, which is owned by the university.

Since the university controls the venue, UNT's teams often have to work around the Coliseum's schedule that includes everything from other university events to high school graduations.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/archives/2012/05/ernie-kuehne-to-head-up-push-f.html

I still don't understand why the old snake pit is not used for a practice facility. It seems to be the right size and location. Building a new basketball practice facility seems a waste of money to me when there are so many other IMO better projects.

I tend to agree. But then again, if Ernie Kuehne wants to build us a practice facility, I'm not going to tell him no.

• Upvote 2

I still don't understand why the old snake pit is not used for a practice facility. It seems to be the right size and location. Building a new basketball practice facility seems a waste of money to me when there are so many other IMO better projects.

I could be wrong, but it’s probably a similar case where there are many other activities that have “priority” there.

As El Paso Eagle states above, the Men's Gym is utilized for classes throughout the day and is another university owned facility. Athletics will always have to schedule around other events which has been a problem with the Super Pit forever. The Super Pit was a great addition to campus, but to get it built back in the early 70's, since there was absolutely zero fundraising for athletics, it was a university owned facility with classroom facilities, etc... down below. Athletics needs their own facilities so they can be used at their discretion and not the university's. Having to schedule games around robotics competitions, graduations, etc... is ridiculous.

• Upvote 2

I had thought it might be the Snake Pit but was told that wasn't the case. There are other buildings nearby the Super Pit that they could use. It sounds like the Jones basketball staff actually liked being on the main campus but they didn't like having their offices in the Pit. When they renovate this building it will also contain the coaches offices which would be convenient to the Pit. The good news is they could use the existing structure and that should cut down on the cost.

As El Paso Eagle states above, the Men's Gym is utilized for classes throughout the day and is another university owned facility. Athletics will always have to schedule around other events which has been a problem with the Super Pit forever. The Super Pit was a great addition to campus, but to get it built back in the early 70's, since there was absolutely zero fundraising for athletics, it was a university owned facility with classroom facilities, etc... down below. Athletics needs their own facilities so they can be used at their discretion and not the university's. Having to schedule games around robotics competitions, graduations, etc... is ridiculous.

I thought that the PE building was built for classes. What is its purpose?

Having a practice facility for basketball should probably rank above a baseball stadium/program on the priority list. We should get all the existing programs up to snuff before starting on a brand new sport.

It is really small time to have to adjust the practice schedule around classes and other non-athletic event, and no doubt something used against us in recruiting.

I don't know if the schedulong conflicts could be worked out or not, but what about a mixed use facility that could serve as both an indoor football practice facility and a basketball practice facility?

Thoughts?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Having a practice facility for basketball should probably rank above a baseball stadium/program on the priority list. We should get all the existing programs up to snuff before starting on a brand new sport.

It is really small time to have to adjust the practice schedule around classes and other non-athletic event, and no doubt something used against us in recruiting.

I don't know if the schedulong conflicts could be worked out or not, but what about a mixed use facility that could serve as both an indoor football practice facility and a basketball practice facility?

Thoughts?

Is there a priority list or a capital budget? There must be.

• Upvote 1

Let's just start another capital fundraising campaign with a goal of constructing a UTA type Special Events Center within 5 years. The city of Denton can get off their asses and help with this joint partnership. Can we tie it to the convention center hotel (if that ever gets off the ground) Save the money for a separate practice facility. We've got to start focusing on facilities now for a run at the Big 12 in 2020!

• Upvote 2

The practice facility is a good thing that we need but let me also add that the lighting and video boards in the Pit would be very important to get done prior to this season if possible. I like this one!

New_TU_scoreboard_rendering.jpg

The practice facility is a good thing that we need but let me also add that the lighting and video boards in the Pit would be very important to get done prior to this season if possible. I like this one!

New_TU_scoreboard_rendering.jpg

They have a much nicer Arena then we do. Most people I talk to just do not like the super pit for viewing basketball. It just does not feel like a basketball arena

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 8

There have to be ways to transfer ownership from the school to the athletic department. Do we think there would be a long negotiation between NT and NT? The Super Pit provides a venue that is unique at NT and probably should stay multi-functional , but the old Snake Pit (mens gym)! What is going to happen when they finally tear down Fouts to build a parking lot or whatever, is NT going to have to negotiate with the Athletic Department. Of course not, the whole thing is ridicolous.

Likely case, NT athletics has to buy the Snake PIt and then NT has to transfer to the athletic department institutional funds to balance their budget. Something that happens every year as NT charges NT athletes' tutition cost for athletes and then transfers institutional funds to cover it. Book keeping but not a penny actually changes hands.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1