Ernie Kuehne to play key role in push for basketball practice facility

Harry

They have a much nicer Arena then we do. Most people I talk to just do not like the super pit for viewing basketball. It just does not feel like a basketball arena

Our arena may not be new but it is one damn nice basketball facility. It just needs a few upgrades and renovations but to think it is a bad new to view basketball is pretty laughable. Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't it the same architects who designed Reuinion Arena? It's a great arena...just needs some renovation and a face lift.

• Upvote 5

Our arena may not be new but it is one damn nice basketball facility. It just needs a few upgrades and renovations but to think it is a bad new to view basketball is pretty laughable. Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't it the same architects who designed Reuinion Arena? It's a great arena...just needs some renovation and a face lift.

Agree completely.

Thank you Ernie for all that you do. How do I get a hold of you and send in my 50, 100, 500, 1000 etc. donation to help you build this (renovate an existing facility) on campus. Instead of talking about where or how it should be done, or criticise everything that we do or have, I would actually like to help with this project.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Thank you Ernie for all that you do. How do I get a hold of you and send in my 50, 100, 500, 1000 etc. donation to help you build this (renovate an existing facility) on campus. Instead of talking about where or how it should be done, or criticise everything that we do or have, I would actually like to help with this project.

Great post.

It seems lots of folks know how to do things so much better than those actually charged with happen. Never mind the fact that they have no real clue about what's going on, how it has to work at a state institution, who the donors may be and how much they might donate, etc., etc. they always have an opinion on how they know better how things should or should not be done. hey, it's not just here, it's in every business in every town in this great nation of ours. Opinions are worth exactly what people pay for them, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. In fact, that's exactly what these boards are all about opinions...so, bring 'em on. If you don't care for the opinions expressed...well state your own. However, let's not get our feelings hurt just because someone disagrees and then take your ball and go home.

It's fun to see how all the "experts" know so much better how to do stuff than the people who have actually been charged with getting stuff done. Lots of opinions here people...mine included...some are good and some have some knowledge behind them, others...well.....opinions, people, opinions.....

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

Amen, the SP is fine; it just does not look like the new arenas. It is all a matter of preference, the new arenas have better lighting and are a lot brighter with lots of plastic seats. Saw a thread on the Belt board about what Belt school arena is the best. The SP was down at the bottom, and WKU and USA the favorites. I doubt most voting had ever set foot in Denton. Never been to Bowling Green but I like the SP much better than the one in Mobile. If you like your basketball venue to look like McDonalds that is fine, but I think the Super Pit stands up very well.

The seats were orange in the beginning for a reason, green makes it look dark. It also doesn't help that some of the upper tier lighting is usually turned off. The Pit needs a tune up not a major rebuild. Those advocating a brand new facility are way off base, unless they want to donate about a 100 million. Better score boards, improved lighting, and just perform general maintenance on things like the side walks would be all NT needs. You could probably do that and convert the Men's gym to a good practice facility for what it would cost to build a new practice facility.

• Upvote 2

It seems lots of folks know how to do things so much better than those actually charged with happen. Never mind the fact that they have no real clue about what's going on, how it has to work at a state institution, who the donors may be and how much they might donate, etc., etc. they always have an opinion on how they know better how things should or should not be done. hey, it's not just here, it's in every business in every town in this great nation of ours. Opinions are worth exactly what people pay for them, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. In fact, that's exactly what these boards are all about opinions...so, bring 'em on. If you don't care for the opinions expressed...well state your own. However, let's not get our feelings hurt just because someone disagrees and then take your ball and go home.

It's fun to see how all the "experts" know so much better how to do stuff than the people who have actually been charged with getting stuff done. Lots of opinions here people...mine included...some are good and some have some knowledge behind them, others...well.....opinions, people, opinions.....

It's just one dude who has already proven himself less than...let's say "smart."

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The seats were orange in the beginning for a reason, green makes it look dark.

I thought the only reason was availability and cost. Were there other reasons?

The PEB was built for facilities and classroom space, but there is still a need to use the Men's Gym/Snake Pit.

I don't understand the "reasons" given for not having a center court scoreboard. The SP originally had one and with new technology, they should be lighter today than in 1973.

• Upvote 2

The school could look to renovate an existing facility, which would reduce the cost or build a new venue.

Curry Hall? https://dentonwiki.org/Curry_Hall

Built in 1912-13 to serve as a library and gymnasium

OK, it's a bit far away from Mean Green Village...

• Upvote 1

i believe they are already planning on updating the video boards by placing them where the stat track boards are.

This was talked about towards the end of the season by the athletic department. I cant find the article

I believe they are also supposed to be moving the BBall offices to the SP.

Building a team store.

Ticket office(they use fold up tables and charge you a dollar for using a CC for each ticket transaction,thats if the CC machine even works)

-Center hanging Score Board is a possibility I believe.*

-Lighting improvements*

-HD cameras*

*possible mentions, cant remember

I do wish they would take out the chair backs on the student section.

We have the only student section in the country that sits during the game besides the first 3 rows.

Also, it will be interesting if they remove all the SBC logos this season.

Texas A&M AND MIzzou did just that

The best renovation for the super pit is to take off all the 70's wood paneling around the upper sections and add some lighting.

Also pick up a crew on the corner of fort worth drive and have them paint the roof to green and BOOM!

Correct. Until they knock it down for the Union expansion, I think. Any current students that can verify that is part of the Union plan?

Couldn't tell ya for sure. They keep a lot of what's being torn down under wraps to save face with students who didn't want the buildings they use to be torn down. Last I heard I don't think it will be torn down.