North Texas has contacted Alliance

KoldBeer

It's still unknown what the new Conference USA/Mountain West league will look like – or will be called – when C-USA and the MWC dissolve and create their new league, but one thing is certain: there are a lot of schools interested in joining.

College football industry sources told CBSSports.com that as many as 11 schools, including each member of the Western Athletic Conference, have contacted either C-USA or the MWC or has been contacted about their interest in the new league.

The schools that have been in contact with either league are: Idaho, Louisiana Tech, New Mexico State, San Jose State, Texas State, Texas-San Antonio and Utah State from the WAC; Florida Atlantic, Florida International and North Texas from the Sun Belt; and Charlotte from the Atlantic 10.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/brett-mcmurphy/17751380/wac-schools-others-interested-in-new-c-usamwc-league

• Upvote 4

...Idaho, Louisiana Tech, New Mexico State, San Jose State, Texas State, Texas-San Antonio and Utah State from the WAC...

I can't think of a WAC school not in that list - is there?

RV haters: Where you at? I need to see how this will be spinned.

I mean, this isn't the flipping Bleacher Report. This is CBS Sports.

Isn't this the news you all have been asking for: An answer to "What has RV done?", and "Why aren't we seeing any stories leaking that pair UNT with the new conference?"

EDIT: And Baseball rumblings to boot!

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

Isn't this the news you all have been asking for: An answer to "What has RV done?", and "Why aren't we seeing any stories leaking that pair UNT with the new conference?"

I agree...I have been around since Hayden Fry and can tell you that even though RV has made a couple of bad mistakes (ie TD) he has a love and passion for UNT as much as anyone I have ever seen...and he has done a tremendous amount for UNT...so the spinners can jump on the board and I will ignore them as usual.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

I don't know why everyone has to either love or hate RV unconditionally. Truth be told, like just about every humanoid, he has his plusses and minuses Great on facilities, iffy on coaching hires; helped get the stadium, failed to get the stadium the first time around; has us positioned to be in CUSA, didn't get into CUSA when they took UTEP; talking to CUSA now, failing to schedule 6 home games.

Taken this program farther in 10 years than in the previous 80, possibly failing to get us positioned properly for very important realignment.

Yep. Just about like every humanoid out there. Good and bad.

But it seems to many it just has to be all or nothing.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Wow, only in contact with one of the leagues? Why didn't RV call both of them? Why didn't he wine and dine them? Good Lord, does he even know what he is doing? This on top of baseball? Should he really be multitasking when he should just focus on one thing at a time? This is ridiculous. Didn't happen without pictures.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I don't know why everyone has to either love or hate RV unconditionally. Truth be told, like just about every humanoid, he has his plusses and minuses Great on facilities, iffy on coaching hires; helped get the stadium, failed to get the stadium the first time around; has us positioned to be in CUSA, didn't get into CUSA when they took UTEP; talking to CUSA now, failing to schedule 6 home games.

Taken this program farther in 10 years than in the previous 80, possibly failing to get us positioned properly for very important realignment.

Yep. Just about like every humanoid out there. Good and bad.

But it seems to many it just has to be all or nothing.

you grossly over estimate the power an AD has especially at a program like UNT

how can anyone hold the AD responsible for failing to get a vote on an athletics fee to pass.....that falls squarely on the administration of the university and not on the AD....I believe the AD was specifically ask not to solicit student votes especially the first time around and I believe also the second time as well

and what do you expect RV to do to get UNT into the CUSA the last time or this time that he is not already doing....is he suppose to hire some hookers and get a bunch of blow and head to Ricks Cabaret and get the decision makers so wasted or in such compromising situations that they can't say no to him....is he suppose to promise things that he is unsure that he can deliver like improved facilities immediately upon the acceptance or the passing of a student fee

he did make the coaching hires, but sometimes they work out and sometimes they don't many programs with huge budgets have hired coaches with massive resumes only to see them not make it work at their new job

I can see why people have an issue with 5 home games and one of them TSU, but that is about the single issue I see you have listed that is fully in his control and even then I am sure he was trying everything possible to get 6 games and opponents people would want to see

student fees and student votes are out of his control entirely.....and UNT and RV can only present the case they have for conference realignments...and of anyone knows someone that can bat .750 to 1.000 on coaching hires well you should let someone know

none of the programs that UNT wishes to emulate have achieved their success based on the actions mainly in control of the AD...only about 5 to 7 programs in the country have an AD that makes the kinds of things happen that you are mentioning for the most part and even at UNT I would imagine the coaching decisions are not fully in the hands of the AD when you consider what request for pay, assistant pay, facilities improvements, and other expenditures might come into play to lure one candidate over another

it is said on this forum often that Bobby Ray liked DD and prevented RV from getting rid of him at one time and it has also been said that Dr. B required that a female be hired for the womens BB team....I am pretty sure the RV/DD/BR deal is legit I do not know about the Dr. B and the female thing, but I am sure that the administration would need to give final approval and OK any type of coaching/assistant budgets and any type of request about possible even minor facilities improvements

when a program is operating on a very small budget and has many needs and things that limited resources can be spent on and there is no donor slush fund to cover any over spending and or questionable expenses it is all the more likely that the administration will be involved in MANY decisions related to numerous aspects of the athletics program even ones that people think are mostly the responsibility of the AD

Edited by GL2Greatness
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Just another indication that "good things" are happening for UNT and that UNT's staff are INDEED very much involved in the whole conference realignment "mess". Wow...amazing confirmation that, indeed, RV, Lane Rawlins and many others have certainly NOT just been sitting on their hands.

Hard to imagine, right? Sometimes this stuff is just too funny...got to love it all. This is GREAT news regarding UNT...sure it's from a "news source" and not some "official UNT announcement", but it's pretty solid evidence that UNT has been very much involved in this process. Imagine that.....

I really wonder why anyone would think this is news. Did someone really think that NT wasn't pursuing membership? I also would be willing to bet that there are more Belt schools seeking membership than indicated.

These are my thoughts while reading through all of this.

Just because a real news site reported a list of schools that we happen to be on, there are a dozen or so other teams named in the same article.

This is nothing until one of the two sides speak.

I really wonder why anyone would think this is news. Did someone really think that NT wasn't pursuing membership? I also would be willing to bet that there are more Belt schools seeking membership than indicated.

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Please remember, there are those out there who subscribe to the theory that our entire AD is out to hold back the sports programs at UNT

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

• Upvote 1

Where you been Grand? Lots of folks were claiming that UNT, RV and others were just sitting on their hands while EVERYONE ELSE made moves to better their conference affiliations. No names will be provided for my own personal safety. I know what can happen when you disagree with some folks! Ha!

:kfu::phew:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I like The Alliance. Two words and great marketing potential - TA.

Everybody already calls it The Alliance or the Mega League.

GMG

I can't think of anyone who doesn't like T & A. The conference taglines will be great:

"T & A. Come get some"

"T & A in your face"

"T & A. Fun for the whole family"

"T & A all across America"

how can anyone hold the AD responsible for failing to get a vote on an athletics fee to pass.....that falls squarely on the administration of the university and not on the AD....I believe the AD was specifically ask not to solicit student votes especially the first time around and I believe also the second time as well

and what do you expect RV to do to get UNT into the CUSA the last time or this time that he is not already doing....is he suppose to hire some hookers and get a bunch of blow and head to Ricks Cabaret and get the decision makers so wasted or in such compromising situations that they can't say no to him....is he suppose to promise things that he is unsure that he can deliver like improved facilities immediately upon the acceptance or the passing of a student fee

he did make the coaching hires, but sometimes they work out and sometimes they don't many programs with huge budgets have hired coaches with massive resumes only to see them not make it work at their new job

I can see why people have an issue with 5 home games and one of them TSU, but that is about the single issue I see you have listed that is fully in his control and even then I am sure he was trying everything possible to get 6 games and opponents people would want to see

student fees and student votes are out of his control entirely.....and UNT and RV can only present the case they have for conference realignments...and of anyone knows someone that can bat .750 to 1.000 on coaching hires well you should let someone know

none of the programs that UNT wishes to emulate have achieved their success based on the actions mainly in control of the AD...only about 5 to 7 programs in the country have an AD that makes the kinds of things happen that you are mentioning for the most part and even at UNT I would imagine the coaching decisions are not fully in the hands of the AD when you consider what request for pay, assistant pay, facilities improvements, and other expenditures might come into play to lure one candidate over another

it is said on this forum often that Bobby Ray liked DD and prevented RV from getting rid of him at one time and it has also been said that Dr. B required that a female be hired for the womens BB team....I am pretty sure the RV/DD/BR deal is legit I do not know about the Dr. B and the female thing, but I am sure that the administration would need to give final approval and OK any type of coaching/assistant budgets and any type of request about possible even minor facilities improvements

when a program is operating on a very small budget and has many needs and things that limited resources can be spent on and there is no donor slush fund to cover any over spending and or questionable expenses it is all the more likely that the administration will be involved in MANY decisions related to numerous aspects of the athletics program even ones that people think are mostly the responsibility of the AD

the women's basketball hire was Dr.B's, not Ricks. regarding only 5 home games this coming season,it is my understanding that we decided to wait and see the effect conference realignement would have on our future scheduling and just live with the 2012 schedule. finally, count me in on the hookers.

You're a little too early to move in underneath the bridge we're building to Apogee. Check back later this summer.

• Upvote 1