impossible

mgfan

I will say that it stinks at times. But if you talk to horned frog fan they experienced some serious disappointments before experiencing all the joys they have earned. The mean green nation bleeds green and white and the future will be fun. It will contain a buttload of disappointments and some joys. But it is our team and this fall will be our time.

hate being owned by WKU - football in Apogee now this.

Oh well it was fun seeing them on national tv. Time to book a hotel for baton rouge.

GMG

• Upvote 3

Because they are my/our team. I've gotten to where I honestly don't follow others as much. I still follow the Cowboys, Rangers, Mags and Stars, but over the years I've gotten to where I would rather live and die with my Mean Green Eagles.

• Upvote 6

In general being a sports fan for your team is usually a losing proposition. Even though your team may be bad, go through heart ripping moments constantly...you still support them and hope the next year will be different and better. Most of the time being a hardcore fan for your team is painful but you just wait for the day that it could achieve the ultimate level and that is the sweetest feeling a fan could ever have. Look at the 2011 Mavs.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It is impossible to be a UNT fan. I honestly do not know how many of you have done it for so many years. You get nothing from it but disappoint.

What if you gave up on UNT football and basketball and next season both started a decades long dominance of the reallybighowevermany conference? Then, I bet you'd feel really silly.

I guess I'm a fan because I'm an alumni, and I've met some of the greatest people anywhere following North Texas sports.

• Upvote 5

its not impossible. my love for this university and what it has meant to my life will surpass anything that happens on the court/field. i as an alum, am forever connected to this university and will support all of it, good or bad, any way i possibly can. Next year should be fun...GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 4

only 1 team in D1 Basketballl finishes the season the way they want to... pretty much every other school is disappointed...

UNT is my favorite team to root for, in any sport... hell, I'd put money on us to win the NCAA Championship in baseball and we don't even have a team...this program is not for the faint of heart... and if you have no loyalty then i guess we won't see you for long...

but let me tell you, the wins feel so good

Edited by golfingomez
  • Upvote 1

At least the majority of you guys have been fans for a couple decades(then again I'm glad I never experienced 1-AA football) I became a fan in 2004 when me and 4 or 5 buddies at the age of 14 went to NMSU homecoming game. We sat in the south endzone and it changed me life. When I heard the crowd roar after Jonas Buckles(or Knowlton can't really remember) put that hit on the WR during that game it sealed the deal for me, I knew I'd be a fan for life. That was 2004, so I only got to experience one really good year. It's been pretty bad since then, but I've missed maybe 4(football) home games since then. My support will never waver. Only 1 of my buddies that went with me is still a die hard, but regardless we're destined for great things. If you look at the facilities, coaches and young talent we have in place the next two or three years could be pretty special for both basketball and football.

I know everyone is heartbroken. My reaction last night @8 PM was to turn tv off, immediately shut off all lights, and go to sleep. Earliest I've been to bed in a long time. But spring ball will be here in no time, and for now the best thing to do is keep your mind off of it and try not to let it affect your mood.

The mean green will live on. Tony will be back, along with CJ/JW and this team dances(and bowls) next season.

• Upvote 2

Well, for me it's pretty darn easy...and it's because this is MY university, and I am a two time grad of UNT. The wins are great, the losses suck, but that's all part of being a fan...and it's also why I don't take the wins and losses personally as many on here seem to do...screws up ones life to much to be that sensitive to the outcome of a game. The good times FAR outweigh the bad and they last with me far longer than do the "bad time losses". I tend to get over losses pretty fast and move along to the next game or next season. Only one D-1 team in the country will win it's last game this season or any season. Tough to be THAT team!

When the time comes that I no longer enjoy being part of the Great Mean Green Nation, I'll simply walk away with no regrets what so ever. However, I don't see that day ever coming...win, lose or draw...this is MY university and I love it!

Had a great time at every home game at Apogee last season and enjoyed every one of UNT's home BB games and enjoyed Hot Springs and my away football game to LaLa...yes, UNT lost to LaLa in football this year...still great road trip!

Sports are for fun...unless you are the athlete in question...then it's a job and fun! If I didn't have fun I wouldn't do it...why would anyone? If UNT football, basketball, etc. is your "life", I think you need to take a long hard look in the mirror, have a few beers and figure out why. Lots of great stuff in this big grand world of ours. being a fan is only part of it...yes, a heartbreaking part at times, but the "break" heals fast as there is always "next season" and a "next game". And, by the way...UNT will be NCAA Champs......next year!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

It is impossible to be a UNT fan. I honestly do not know how many of you have done it for so many years. You get nothing from it but disappoint.

There are only 2 college teams I care about...

UNT and UTEP...

I grew up in El Paso but attended UNT for 3 years before I finally went back to El Paso for personal reasons and graduated from UTEP...

I have been a UTEP fan all my life and a UNT fan all my adult life...

Frankly being a fan of either is a bit of a kick to the balls as another poster put it...

But, I root for laundry...

I will always be a UTEP fan and I will always be a UNT fan...

Nothing will shake me from either...

And nothing, but nothing, will ever convince me to be a fan of UT or Alabama or USC or Ohio St. or Notre Dame, etc...

I didn't go to school at those places and I didn't grow up in those communities... I could not possibly care less about the fortunes of those schools and teams...

So, I wouldn't say it is impossible to be a fan of UNT...

I consider it to be a privelage to be a member of the Mean Green Nation...

And while things haven't always been that great, I will still be a fan when they are...

And I am positive that I will feel more alive then than I do now with the current feeling of having been kicked in the balls...

Edited by McKinneyMiner
  • Upvote 2

Because they are my/our team. I've gotten to where I honestly don't follow others as much. I still follow the Cowboys, Rangers, Mags and Stars, but over the years I've gotten to where I would rather live and die with my Mean Green Eagles.

Dito.

But add Texas Tech, Alabama and Ohio State to my list of teams I casually follow. For the record, if I have a chane to see or attend a Tech/Alabama/Ohio State or UNT...I will watch the Mean Green every time.

This sums it up for me!!!!

Glory to the Green - Alma Mater

Singing glory to the green, singing glory to the white,

For we know our university is striving for the right;

Down the corridor of years, we'll forget the joys and tears,

But North Texas, North Texas, we love!

• Upvote 4

Um aren't they good and didn't they go to the championship game a few years back?

Perpetual underachieving. The last of the original 1996 teams to reach a MLS Cup final. We have still yet to win one. I was in Toronto when we lost it and we were clearly the better squad, the ball just didn't bounce our way. 4 first round playoff exits and then losing in the MLS Cup all to the same team. Lost both US Open Cup finals we made in the last decade.