Tony Mitchell NBA Draft Stock Rising

cl_1_2008

Chad Ford: Draft Blog

Sleeper

The aforementioned Mitchell is now a forward for North Texas and is lighting up the Sun Belt conference. Since Mitchell became eligible the Mean Green are 8-3 and Mitchell's averaging 15.5 ppg and 9.4 rpg on 63 percent shooting and 59 percent shooting from behind the arc. And he's getting better. In January he's had a 34- and-14 game versus South Alabama and a 30-point, 17-rebound game versus Denver on Saturday. The competition might not be great, but scouts saw enough talent at the under-19s to believe that Mitchell has a chance to be special. He's cracked our Top 30 for the first time this year and, truthfully, could end up going much higher once he gets into NBA workouts.

• Upvote 2

If Tony Mitchell goes to the NBA this year, JJ should be fired. If Tony Michell is drafted lower than 5th, JJ should be fired without severance. If Tony Michell returns next year and scores less than 40 a game and only takes UNT to a final four appearance, JJ should be fired without severance and exiled to Siberia. If Tony Mitchell returns next year, wins national player of the year and taks UNT to a national championship, JJ should feel lucky to suffer only a 10% pay cut and loss of his reserved parking space.

This is a HUGE Tony Michell wingspan stretch coming up. Can we? Will we?

If Tony Mitchell goes to the NBA this year, JJ should be fired. If Tony Michell is drafted lower than 5th, JJ should be fired without severance. If Tony Michell returns next year and scores less than 40 a game and only takes UNT to a final four appearance, JJ should be fired without severance and exiled to Siberia. If Tony Mitchell returns next year, wins national player of the year and taks UNT to a national championship, JJ should feel lucky to suffer only a 10% pay cut and loss of his reserved parking space.

This is a HUGE Tony Michell wingspan stretch coming up. Can we? Will we?

But what about CJ?

Show me the money

Bingo.

Deep draft class coming up. He's gotta have a guarantee from a team that "If you're available when we draft at <1st round pick> slot, we're going to take you". If he's not a first round guarantee, he'll be back at UNT. If he's a low-first round choice, then his decision is a little harder. This is where I think he'll wind up, unless UNT gets to the NCAA tourney and Tony goes nuts.

I anticipate a long waiting game from Mr. Mitchell... up to the deadline to declare.

Is the process to declare "without an agent" still an option? If so, the decision may be stretched out even longer.

Hopefully Mr. Mitchell and his family value a college education. I believe Mr. Mitchell's mother is a DISD school teacher or administrator. I'm sure Mr. Mitchell enjoys his 3.0 GPA which he's worked hard for, just like he has on the BB court for UNT.

Since I don't know Mr. Mitchell personally I can't gauge his motivation to stay in school or go PRO. No matter when Mr. Mitchell goes pro the money will be waiting for him.

Go Mean Green!!!!

Hopefully Mr. Mitchell and his family value a college education. I believe Mr. Mitchell's mother is a DISD school teacher or administrator. I'm sure Mr. Mitchell enjoys his 3.0 GPA which he's worked hard for, just like he has on the BB court for UNT.

Since I don't know Mr. Mitchell personally I can't gauge his motivation to stay in school or go PRO. No matter when Mr. Mitchell goes pro the money will be waiting for him.

Go Mean Green!!!!

Not necessarily...a kid can go through various injuries and thus decrease his draft value. Even being a second round pick you'll make a pretty darn good salary. I can't fault anyone doing something that will drastically alter his and his family's life. You can value a college education but when you have that opportunity that so so few have there is a reason folks jump on it.

• Upvote 1

don't get me wrong. i want the best for mitchell and the team, but this year is the worst year for a potential one and done. last year with white and thompson the team could have possibly made it to the second round or further. next year, hopefully with an eligible williams and jones and with the addition of an actual center with experience (odoh) they could do the same. this year had promise, but even with all starters available i don't know if they get past mtsu and to the tourney. just bad timing is all.

my UNT basketball heart is nervous, but my tony mitchell pants are going crazy!

Edited by Green Crazy

Let me say first I DO NOT WANT HIM TO LEAVE NOW. But if he does, I think we may get more mileage publicity wise if he goes now, unless he were to stay the whole time and be the number 1 pick. You have the storyline as: 1)it doesn't work out at Mizzu because of grade issues, 2) so he sits out a year, 3) gets his act together academically, 4) plays this past summer, 5) and finally plays this season. And 6) Leads the team to victory after we lose two starters for the season, and are also dealing with injuries. 7)Then BAM, he goes to the NBA! Pretty good story that I can hear on "Outside the Lines" on ESPN right now. LOL

*I agree with what Johnny said (joking of course) on his radio show last night that Tony needs three more years of work on his game. :thumbsu:

Edited by Green Dozer
  • Upvote 1

This kid has been a godsend for North Texas. Do a quick search in google of Tony Mitchell and you will see his name attached to UNT/North Texas all over the place! He is providing UNT with tremendous media exposure. He is respectful, grateful for the opportunity and appreciative of the Mean Green fans. He has exceeded our expectations and then some and we should all very good about that regardless of how soon his NBA career plays out.

EVEN If and WHEN he does go pro, yes it will suck for him to leave, however I think having an NBA potential player on our roster will open us up to being a destination for future NBA caliber players. As long as we can stay competitive, have a good recruiter, and maintain our status as a destination for NBA caliber players, we will be fine.