Mean Green Matt

Sun Belt schools with 6 home games:

1. FIU (Louisville and Akron)

2. USA (UTSA and Nicholls State)

3. ULL (Tulane and FCS)

4. Troy (Miss. State and Navy)

5. ASU (Memphis and Alcorn St.)

6. WKU (Austin Peay and Souther Miss)

Middle Tennessee is unknown, ULM plays Baylor at home with 3 road games. FAU is unknown.

That leaves NT with a home game against Texas Southern and then the Sun Belt.

I've been worried about this for over a year. The AD should be extremely embarrassed if they can't get 6 home games next year. Absolutely pathetic

• Upvote 3

I've been worried about this for over a year. The AD should be extremely embarrassed if they can't get 6 home games next year. Absolutely pathetic

Me too. There had been murmurs for a while that we were trying to fix it, and then the seemingly (at least to an extent) credible rumors coming out of Houston that we weren't playing them anymore. That makes it even more disappointing. If it means getting out of the Houston game to have another home game, freakin do it. I'm not sure how the Athletic Department does not see this as a priority.

How are they going to get anyone not directly affilitated with NT (and some that are for that matter) to buy season tickets when Texas Southern is the only OOC game, and then the Sun Belt. I know we go to see NT play and not the other teams, but that's not how the general public thinks yet.

• Upvote 3

unfortunately par for the course for the current administration from Top Down

I really think this at least warrants an explanation, at least to MGC members. This is just unacceptable. It is a step backwards to go back to 5 home games, particularly the quality of games. At least ULM's one OOC home game is Baylor.

• Upvote 4

So, I think I'm right about this, but I believe the 2012 home schedule will be Texas Southern, South Alabama, Troy, Arkansas State, and Louisiana-Lafayette. My question is this: Will we draw 20k for any of those games? I guess if we beat one of the brand names in the OOC, it would be probable, but assuming we don't beat LSU, KSU, or UH, I just don't see the season average for attendance being over 17k, even if we do win in the SBC. Great timing for a program that should be trying desperately to get a step-up during confernece realignment so as not to be left behind.

• Upvote 2

Something needs to be done, and the athletic department has several months to fix it. The scheduling over the last few years has been great, so I'm not sure why it all changes one year after we open a new stadium. I trust that the Athletic Department is doing this for a reason, but I implore them to be less concered with whether or not UH or KSU or LSU is pissed off about us backing out of the game, and more concerned with NT fans. If the money is simply not there, then so be it. Let's all start chipping in to pay the buy out.

I don't want to be a negative Nancy but I only see three games I'm vaguely interested in seeing.

I'm on the fence anyway. Too many kicks in the nuts over the years can get you down. I'm going to have a Roberto Duran moment one of these years soon.

Edited by EagleMBA

It all started in order to get a creditable opponent for the Apogee opener. If Houston insisted on 2012 when they agreed to be our opening opponent then we're honor-bound to keep the away date for next September. It would be terribly expensive to get out of the LSU contract but we may have to bite the bullet. Could K-State be talked into making the return in 2013? If none will acquiesce and we can't afford the buyout with LSU, the we must have the best home game that we can get; certainly not an FCS opponent.

We're going to have to realize that the schedule won't be to our liking until we are in a conference with opponents known to our students, townspeople and to a lesser extent, our alumni. We need to buy season tickets and attend games for a couple of years, regardless of who we play. Poor fan support could keep us out of a higher-profile conference and hinder scheduling the known regional teams who would be out of our conference.

I'm far less worried about the team that we will put on the field than I am with the attendance for the next two years. We desperately need 25,000 fans who are willing to sacrifice a less than spectacular schedule for the chance at a bigger trough. Hold your nose if you must but step forward and support your university. If you don't the progress of the last year will be lost...perhaps for years.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 2

Okay fence sitters. This is the time to rally behind this team however you can. Attending games in rain, sleet or shine does this and means a lot. There are some great Mean Green fans that can donate financially, and there are others like myself that can contribute with attendance. Whatever your method make it happen and drag a few folks along. I have successfully turned an OSU Buckeye fan and UNT alum to avoid Buckeye games on Saturday, buy season tickets and tailgate at Apogee every home game. Another friend and NMSU alum is now a Mean Green season ticket holder who is getting Mean Green gear for Christmas because that was my only beef with him was no Mean Green gear on gameday. No excuses next fall, the Eagle is dawning. Lastly not tooting my horn but I loved being able to make all home games this year for the first time in probably 10 years when I lived in DFW. I kept an eye out for those $198 round trip tickets on SWA and loved seeing the Green win 4 games at home in our new palace. Of course we all have that friend that graduated from UNT, lives 30 miles from the campus, attends a game one in a blue moon and beaches about the parking, or the losing or the color of uni or the distance to the parking lot...I am glad he feels bad when he realizes I've turned two non-traditional football fans into hardcores and oh yeah we had a blast.

A word of advice - go make new fans rather than spending valuable time on dormant alums. The dormant alums sometimes don't care to be turned on or are so far out of reach the energy is not worth it. We will do well to make new fans around the Metroplex to fill our stadium. It can happen. I am currently in UNLV gear getting ready to head to the T&M to see the Rebels beat down 1-10 ULM. Non-alums can and will be turned on by a fun, exciting, event filled environment.

Enjoy the holidays and then lets get to work to ensure we get 25K at a couple of games next year. If you say we can't do it, we can't. With hard anything all is possible.

Don't tread on my optimism!

GMG