Mountain West board mentioning UNT as possibility

Harry

This whole realignment mess is because of one thing - TV money. We currently get 0, zilch from the Sun Belt TV deal. While some here aren't fired up about the MWC, at least their schools receive TV revenue and every football game is on national TV.

While the Mountain Network and Verses are technically national, many if not most cable systems don't carry either one. So while the satellite signal is "national," less than 35% of the TV sets are able to actually see all of the MWC games.

Now, this is still better than the Sun Belt. But saying every game is on national TV is like having an office in Bangor, Maine and Bangor, Washington and claiming your company is "nationwide."

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Two things I take away from these forums:

1) SDSU fans seem to have an unhealthy hatred for us.

2) Mean Green Gem is trying WAY too hard.

I'll let Mean Green Gem know...and I know he will listen to your critique but knowing him as I do he would probaby like to see a few more UNT posters on that MWC board maybe posting a bit less aggresively than he is. I will convince him to back off, though, because you are right in your assessment. On the upside, though, we do have a few posters who have changed their minds about UNT in the last 2 weeks and have started putting us down on their lists. Hell, the MWC could be down to 6 members in the next few weeks so why the hell wouldn't they?

You are so right about the California (SDSU) boys, except one of em' was on this board last year quite a bit when one of our assistants coaches was most understandably and and in a professionally tactful way (on his part) trying for the North Texas HFC job and I think that Calif. posters might be the most bitter because that UNT coach did not get that job for now; because last year you would have thought from that Calif. poster that we were the next Notre Dame. He's turned 180 degrees about his attitude concerning North Texas from last year and its probably easy to understand why.

As I have felt for years, though, I don't think much said on some of these boards will convince any presidents and AD's of conferences we want to be part of. I think they already know what UNT would bring to their table and their conference TV packages truth be told. I also think Chuck Neinas has let some of these leagues know about our unbelievable upside, too. He seems to have been a frequent visitor at North Texas albeit some of those were paid visits.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

I agree with those that don't like the look of that conference. I'd just assume stay in the Suck Belt and get to see half of our away games on ESPN3 rather than NEVER getting to see them with the MWC tv deal.

There are 5 or 6 decent programs in that conference (assuming Boise and Air Force leave):

UNLV

SDSU (wants out)

Colorado St.

Fresno

Hawaii (also wants out)

But it remains to be seen if fans in and around Denton give a rats about seeing any of these teams and they damn sure don't have alumni bases in DFW that might show up for games. As much crap as people talk about ULM (me included), at least they consistently bring a large group of fans to Denton and add to the atmosphere. I think most people don't quite communicate what regional rivalries really mean. You see folks commonly falling back on the lame argument that a school crying about not having regional rivals is relying too much on the visiting team to bring enough fans to help fill the stadium. That might apply to schools like SMU and Rice, who have no fans of their own, but it doesn't truly apply to UNT. Playing regional rivals means:

- that the other school is close enough that you might actually know people that went to that school.

- You can talk up the game before and after.

- People on the fence about going to a game are more likely to go to a game against a program that they've heard of.

- The opposing school might bring it's band, which single handedly turns any game into a game that FEELS like it means something.

None of the schools in the current MWC provide ANY of that and unless they redo their TV deal, it means we'll be seeing much less of the away Mean Green games. For UNT (both football and basketball) right now, it's all about winning and creating an exciting atmosphere around gameday. Playing in a far flung, West coast based conference hinders us more than it helps us.

I don't know, maybe I just haven't gotten over the Big West days....I'll forever be skeptical of us joining any West coast based conference until proven otherwise.

...Also, I'm turning into a HUGE Arkansas State and Ragin Cajun fan for the rest of the season. The Suck Belt needs a couple of teams to finish with great records and get ranked....

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Perception...

"It's not what you are it's what people think you are." (Joseph P. Kennedy quote to his sons John and Bobby).

The MWC or CUSA provides for North Texas now what the SBC will not provide for another 10 years--positive perception and a chance for Top 25 votes....IMO.

You beat the top ranked team in the MWC or CUSA and you will have a chance to get some Top 25 votes. You beat the top ranked team in the 'Belt and you still get a non-ranked bowl team in the future.

GMG!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Perception...

"It's not what you are it's what people think you are." (Joseph P. Kennedy quote to his sons John and Bobby).

The MWC or CUSA provides for North Texas now what the SBC will not provide for another 10 years--positive perception and a chance for Top 25 votes....IMO.

You beat the top ranked team in the MWC or CUSA and you will have a chance to get some Top 25 votes. You beat the top ranked team in the 'Belt and you still get a non-ranked bowl team in the future.

GMG!

The reason no SBC team has never been ranked is because none have had a strong enough record. Get 11 wins or go get up to 8-0. When that happens a belt team will be ranked. It is not the uniform patches but the teams WEARING them!

The reason no SBC team has never been ranked is because none have had a strong enough record. Get 11 wins or go get up to 8-0. When that happens a belt team will be ranked. It is not the uniform patches but the teams WEARING them!

That is certainly true, but...

A major part of that reason is the conference. If you're a recruit and you're offered a chance to play in CUSA or the Sun Belt which would you choose? Basically, it boils down to recruiting. CUSA and the MWC get better talent overall than the Belt, MAC and the WAC. The attendance is better, they have better TV contracts and they can afford to pay for better coaches. Plus, the SBC has to play tougher teams to pay the bills. It will be a slow build for a Sun Belt team to have eleven wins in a season.

So, while it is the team wearing the patch is the one that will be ranked the conference helps that to happen through bowl alliances, TV contracts, and public perception.

• Upvote 3

Perception...

GMG!

This thread is about the MWC, not CUSA. Perception of a conference goes as the teams within it go. Look at that current MWC lineup, removing Boise and Air Force. It's the old WAC. It's not about beating ranked teams....it's about winning all of your games-no matter the opponent. The old WAC blows. You are living in the 70s and need to catchup...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This thread is about the MWC, not CUSA. Perception of a conference goes as the teams within it go. Look at that current MWC lineup, removing Boise and Air Force. It's the old WAC. It's not about beating ranked teams....it's about winning all of your games-no matter the opponent. The old WAC blows. You are living in the 70s and need to catchup...

That's the worst argument people on this board constantly makes. The old WAC or not...those teams are a heck of a lot better than what we're playing in the belt and those teams over the years have improved. They would be great conference mates and perception wise it is not even close. The OLD WAC is just that....it's OLD! Times change and and I'd love to be in a conference with SDSU, UNM, NV, UNLV, Fresno St, Hawaii, Colo St., and Wyoming. Not only they're better in football but they're also pretty decent in basketball and if you add Utah State to that it is even better.

Edited by Green Mean
  • Upvote 4

Why the negativity about the "old WAC" of the 70's? In addition to most of the current MWC teams, that conference included teams like Arizona, Arizona State, BYU, and Utah. Pretty good company if you ask me. Boise had just graduated from junior college at the time and was playing little league ball.

I would prefer going to CUSA at the moment, but I'll take any move up even if it's only half a step up. I think we would be nuts not to take a MWC invitation even with no Boise or AF. Aggressively trying to move up in stature (ala TCU) is the way to go IMO. Even if moving up in stature requires us to travel to China every other year to play Canton Tech.

• Upvote 4

There is no question. If we get a chance to get out of the Belt and into MWC we go MWC. How could anyone want to stay in with MT, Monroe, FIU, FAU and the assortment of non-football schools like UALR and South Alabama which I guess is getting football? Are you kidding me??? You would stay in with that rabble instead of Colorado State, Fresno, Nevada, New Mexico and Wyoming? We have GOT to get out of this conference. I was talking with someone last night in San Antonio and he thought we were still in 1-AA. You can carry on about Big West but in 2011the MWC has better programs even without Boise.

• Upvote 2

People are crying over the MWC because timezone? Look what it did for TCU. The Frogs and Utes brought the MWC to the level we see it presently. Why can't it do the same for UNT???

The schools in the MWC, even after Boise & AFA leave, are a step above any team in the Belt. It's a no brainer, IMO. UNT would be stupid to not take the MWC bid if it comes.

Can you imagine the buzz in the metroplex? TCU has given the MWC a name locally. We would benefit from that.

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1

Can you blame them? I can't blame them one bit.

It's been less than two years since North Texas unloaded a horrible curse on them.

Since I seem to be in the early onset of dimensia, J.R.can you refresh my memory on what that curse was? One of the MWC boards most critical SDSU posters (from CA.) aimed at North Texas was a frequent visitor over here last year about this very time and as I recall pitching for another coach to get our HFC's job.

The MWC better strike while the iron is hot if they want the DFW Metroplex in their conference TV package footprint and looking at their future prospects after schools they will lose now and probably later, I would love to know just what they are thinking their choices really are and why their delay in solving their membershp concerns now.

Most know TCU would prefer that North Texas not take their place in the MWC because they probably know that a winning UNT in the MWC might offf-set a losing TCU in the Big 12 and lest anyone forgets the Frogs did not fare too well the last time they were in another conference with as many large public universities with far more impressive (and much larger) athletic venues. It took Baylor more than 10 years to get out of the Big 12 cellar and as I recall they stilll hover in the lower half of that league even now. And just who won the TCU/Baylor season opener of this Fall?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Agreed. A MWC with Boise and Airforce makes me reconsider but not for that. Sunbelt has the better regional games, and in the long run the best bet for all sports. Won't doubt if they call though.

A sentence that is normally an absurd statement. But I have to agree with it.

The SBC gives us better regional games than MWC. Also, the whole traveling to the west for literally every game has got to take its toll.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

A sentence that is normally an absurd statement. But I have to agree with it.

The SBC gives us better regional games than MWC. Also, the whole traveling to the west for literally every game has got to take its toll.

Fan travel again is not a good excuse. If you want to travel for a game then you'll go...it is only every other year so there's plenty of opportunities for travel planning. The MWC in all levels trumps the SBC. Perception makes a huge difference. There is no question we need to jump on a MWC offer if it ever came calling. I'm one that thinks I'd rather be in the MWC over CUSA even if there's no Houston, SMU, and UCF.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1