Mohair

buff64

wish we could have him but no-brainer for a kid to get out of town and play for a coach with true skins on the wall (1 NC and 3 Big East Titles)

This is a pretty ridiculous statement and smacks of simple sour grapes. The kid would have been a good "get" by UNT, but he chose a new program and a program where some other Ryan players are found. No problem with that at all. You certainly win some and lose some in the recruiting battles. BUT, once again we see that UNT is indeed attempting to recruit local players. The kid would have been a "good get" as I mentioned and he is definitely a nice pick-up for UTSA, but as has been stated here many times...sometimes local kids just want to get away from home.

I suspect that young Mister Mohair never mentioned the words "skins on the wall" when announcing his decision. he's a good kid in the classroom and outside the classroom. I'll take him at his word as to why he chose UTSA over several other schools...not just UNT.

Please go on the record:

Is Dan McCarney the right guy to be the head coach at UNT?

Personally, I haven't decided yet. I guess that'll have to be a post-season decision for me. I just hope that DT stays healthy, because it's looking like we don't have a snowball's chance to avoid 3-9 without him. 6-6 and it will be impossible to argue against his being the right guy. Oops! Probably wrong forum for this discussion. I do have a nice Mohair blanket though.

• Upvote 1

Please go on the record:

Is Dan McCarney the right guy to be the head coach at UNT?

Time will tell but for the money right now I am not excited, any coach could have won 3 games against teams a combined 3-21 and then get blown out of the water by every other team, with the same players.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Don't think we'd have 3 wins if TD was coach right now.

We would have had Riley and maybe Carey in that scenario, so it's possible that we could have 4 wins. I also think that Chico could have possibly had more of a free hand running the offense under TD this year. On the other hand, Riley would have very possibly been knocked out for the season against FIU. All possibilities, but who the Hell knows.

• Upvote 1

You do realize that when our offense took off when Chico was the head coach that Hines was calling the plays, right?

I keep hearing this and wonder why anyone thinks that is a big deal. The HC seldom calls the plays but he usually does put in the game plan. The game plan is going to dictate what type of plays are going to be called in certain down, distance, score and time circumstances. These plays are going to be selected from a relatively small set of practiced formations and plays. My guess is that Canales had a lot more to do with the play selection than you seem to be indicating. By the same logic, McCarney has a big hand in the play calling that Canales is now doing on the sideline. IMO, your theory that Hines not Canales was responsible for the better offensive production last year is simply not valid.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

We would have had Riley and maybe Carey in that scenario, so it's possible that we could have 4 wins. I also think that Chico could have possibly had more of a free hand running the offense under TD this year. On the other hand, Riley would have very possibly been knocked out for the season against FIU. All possibilities, but who the Hell knows.

Only if Todge was willing to overlook the things that got Carey sent away. I doubt he would have.

And you have to be absoultely INSANE to look at the way this team plays this season compared to the last four years...while totally forgetting just how many senior leaders are gone...and think that perhaps we aren't improved.

Only if Todge was willing to overlook the things that got Carey sent away. I doubt he would have.

And you have to be absoultely INSANE to look at the way this team plays this season compared to the last four years...while totally forgetting just how many senior leaders are gone...and think that perhaps we aren't improved.

I agree. For some of the bone head things still going on, NOTHING I have seen this year compares to some of the ridiculousness that we saw in Dodge era.

I would like to see a win or two against a respectable team myself, and you cannot deny the fire that this team played with against K-State last year with Chico in charge. but with the obviously improved product over what we have been seeing, I am willing to stay the course.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd like to see some of the good Denton players stay home as well. Getting away from home is a must in my opinion if you're from a small town. It's a much different atmosphere in a city large enough that you are not known everywhere you go.

I'm hoping that we get our first breakthrough this year with Ellis Jefferson from Denton Guyer. He's highly rated and apparently still has us under consideration. The others that I'm familiar with had no interest from the beginning.

Hate to lose Trey Mohair, Ryan's great all around athlete, to UTSA. He said he liked the idea of a new program will join two other Ryan football players on the team.

What programs offered this kid?

• 2 weeks later...

wish we could have him but no-brainer for a kid to get out of town and play for a coach with true skins on the wall (1 NC and 3 Big East Titles)

Sometimes this board is funny. I really can't believe people are so upset over this comment. In fact, I could see this being the reason. Our current coach is well below .500 overall and Coker is well over .500. He has a NC and 3 conference titles. Yes they were with someone else's recruits, but so what. On that argument, Dan's victory's last year were off of TD's recruits. I don't know if Dan is the future here or not, only time will tell.

I am so tired of the "kids want to go out of town" to play argument. I don't buy it. Kids play for their home schools all the time when those schools are winning.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999